The Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!


Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Drew54, fixite7, D B Cooper, Jethro in Va, Hanks custodian, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1417661 Wed Jul 21 2021 10:18 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 495
Today I noticed that the Classic Industries catalog shows a large sheet metal panel that they show installed directly beneath the radiator support frame, for 47 thru 54 pickup trucks. I know that my 53 half ton did not have one in it when I bought it. I looked in the FAM manual and I could not find any reference to it. I looked in the Jim Carter's catalog, and found NO reference to it there either. Classic Industries calls it a "radiator support". I would call it a splash guard. I guess my question is: did this part actually exist in the original 3100 AD trucks? Their picture makes it look like it sandwiched between the crossmember and the radiator support. It appears to span from one frame rail to the other, and extends in front of and behind the radiator. Please advise.

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,979
Sir Searchalot
Give us the Classic part number. 61-712 ? Yes, correct for 53. Should be called "Grille Support". 47-53........... NOT 47-54. That one is GMC ONLY. 61-712G

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,225
You need one. It forces air through the radiator. I call it a lower baffle.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 5,939
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Here's that part from Classic Industries Link []. I believe other vendors carry them also. (LMC PN 38-8940 - they call it a Grill Support Panel)
They say fitment is 47-53. The FAM shows only 54 front sheet metal, which is probably why you couldn't find it.
The bottom of your grille bolts to it, and like the other guys said, you need one. You might be able to get an original from one of the members. Try posting in the Swap Meet.

Last edited by klhansen; Thu Jul 22 2021 05:03 AM.

Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos []
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 495
Thanks for all the help. You guys are the best.

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5