The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (TooMany2count, NorthCoast3800, klhansen), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,721
Posts1,006,680
Members45,016
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OEM stovebolt distributor- - -HEI internals
#1417520 Tue Jul 20 2021 07:29 PM
H
'Bolter
I'm working on a new "Frankenstein" project- - - -I'm replacing the points and condenser in an original stovebolt distributor with General Motors HEI components, the pickup coil and the reluctor. The switching module that turns the coil on and off will be mounted remotely on an aluminum heat sink, possibly out of sight under the dash, etc. The distributor would retain the original centrifugal and vacuum advance functions with the moving distributor housing. To the casual observer who doesn't remove the distributor cap, it would look like a completely original ignition system. I'm pretty sure it would require a 12 volt electrical system to work properly, but there's a remote possibility the GM module might function on 6 volts.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: OEM stovebolt distributor- - -HEI internals
Hotrod Lincoln #1417525 Tue Jul 20 2021 07:44 PM
J
'Bolter
It might work on 6v, Jerry. On other forums, I've heard of people trying this with other distributors, but never the stovebolt ones and I don't remember how it turned out for them. As I recall, they did have to use 12v...however I think they may have been working on a 12v system from the get-go.

I've decided to work on a 12v to 6v adapter that will outperform the runtz and will be capable of handling more current than 1 amp. More to follow on that as time passes.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop