The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Bill Trotter, garybauer, 55_2nd_Series, Forty9, 32vsnake, Dragsix), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,936
Posts1,008,317
Members45,097
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can't be too careful
WarEagle1 #1417372 Mon Jul 19 2021 01:04 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Back to the OP ...

We had one of our dump trucks at work just blow a tire sitting parked in the yard last week. As you can see, plenty of tread left. Just blew. Older tire ... So don't let tread wear be your only guide.

Attached Files
20210706_142513[1].jpg (335.61 KB, 123 downloads)

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

I've never been a NASCAR fan .. until now.
Let's go, Brandon!

WarEagle1 #1417417 Mon Jul 19 2021 08:34 PM
T
'Bolter
Somewhat related - I was filling a rear tractor tire with air. Was an old Ford 800 series - finished putting air into it - went around the other side to do the same - and all of a sudden KABLAMM! my ears hurt, and the sound echoed across the road and down aways. Went back to inspect - and the steel rim was missing a chunk and it was twisted at one spot and the tire was well, not able to hold air anymore. It sounded like three shotguns went off at the same time....goes to show - old rims filled with calcium chloride rust from within. I had acquired the tractor about a month prior and didn't know the maintenance history of it.

Lucky to be typing this story today - I cant imagine being bent over next to it when it let go and exploded sending a chunk of steel across to the other side of the tractor shed.

WarEagle1 #1417438 Tue Jul 20 2021 02:04 AM
H
'Bolter
Back when I was running a roadside service truck and doing tire service on big rigs, I had what I called a "Chicken Line"- - - - -a 25 foot air line with a clip-on chuck and a ball valve and a pressure gauge on the other end. Even with a tire secured inside a safety cage I would hide behind something sturdy while airing up tires. For a really sobering thought, figure out how many square inches are in the sidewall of a big rig tire, multiply by 120 PSI, and calculate how many TONS of force are pushing out against that bead ring!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
WarEagle1 #1417554 Tue Jul 20 2021 10:03 PM
'Bolter
Back in 1965 had tire/rim explode on a friend of mine. Can't describe the condition of his jaw/teeth but to this day you know something went terribly wrong......nuff said.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop