The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Harold41, 49 3100, carbking, 50Chevy3100, Greg_H, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,433
Posts1,012,854
Members45,231
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
12 volt generator
#1417347 Sun Jul 18 2021 07:53 PM
C
chrispy Offline OP
'Bolter
Hello,

Question on how to determine the correct voltage regulator for a 12v generator I'm installing to replace the 6v system. Changing out everything except starter. New 12 gen., wiring harness from Carter Truck Parts, headlights, dash lights, etc, etc. I was told I'd need a matching voltage regulator. I'm not a wiring/electrical guru, so trying to test and make sure everything is right all the way thru.

Delco Remy 12v generator tag reads:

1102276-2D-4

Thanks
Chris

Re: 12 volt generator
chrispy #1417354 Sun Jul 18 2021 08:46 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
You can use a newer Delco 10si . Cheaper, built in voltage regulator, less wiring, better bearings, no voltage regulator to buy or fail.

To answer the question:
The number you gave comes back as one of it's applications is 61-62 Olds. So these VR's are listed for that vehicle.
Std Motor Product VR103 VR103T VR24
Delco C635

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS tell us the year make model of vehicle and motor on EVERY new post.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

chrispy #1417358 Sun Jul 18 2021 10:16 PM
J
'Bolter
Chris, if you're committed to remaining with a generator-charged system and if this is an AD or Task Force truck, there are Delco-Remy voltage regulators and there are all others. I think you should ignore the "all others." Honestly, many of the Delco-Remy 12V regulators made for vehicles between around 1957 and 1964 should work just fine. I'd go to eBay and search. This one (for example) ought to be okay for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303782651554?hash=item46badb66a2:g:l-wAAOSw5XVfvdfa

I'd go to eBay and look for NOS Delco-Remy voltage regulators (if it doesn't say Delco-Remy, I'd ignore it). There will be some new old stock (NOS) ones which are selling for less (may be shopworn) and some selling for more (may look prettier). You could find one specifically matched to your generator, but I'm not the person who would say you'd need to do that. All the voltage regulator does is to maintain the output of your generator to somewhere between about 13.5v and 14.5v. This lets your battery charge (and stay charged) at the proper voltage and to ensure the other electrical parts of your truck get the proper operating voltage. Good luck.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
chrispy #1417360 Sun Jul 18 2021 10:30 PM
H
'Bolter
There are really only two concerns to consider on Delco regulators- - - -ground polarity and current regulator setting. Adjust the current regulator to match the capacity of the generator, and press on. Those "experienced" regulators can be made to look brand new with a little dent bumping on the cover and a coat of gloss black paint. A good source of Delco regulators with low in-service hours would be the ones listed for "aircraft" applications. They don't know if the vehicle they're mounted on is rolling or flying, and the ones on Ebay are usually dirt cheap.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop