The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (tom moore), 68 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,460
Posts1,013,027
Members45,239
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Never thought I’d say this (LS)
#1417042 Thu Jul 15 2021 12:47 PM
J
JW51 Offline OP
'Bolter
Im generally not a fan of V8 swaps into vintage vehicles. But I’ve recently developed the itch to “LS Swap” something. Not my 1951 Chevy truck. Not something that would be scarce or particular desirable with its original powertrain. Perhaps a vehicle that isn’t really that old at all.

It just looks like a really fun way to make some very practical, useful power. Tons of ways you can keep tinkering and modify on the (relative) cheap if you so choose.

There’s about a 5% chance of me acting on this. Perhaps I can get my 13 year old son interested enough to make this a father/son project and have enough time to make this his first ride. He likes electronic things.

Late 60s/Early 70s GM car? 70s/80s square body pickup?

Re: Never thought I’d say this (LS)
JW51 #1417053 Thu Jul 15 2021 01:36 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Remember this from one parent to another. If you do a pickup you limit the number of knuckleheads he can legally haul at one time. [elvis]

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

JW51 #1417057 Thu Jul 15 2021 01:47 PM
B
'Bolter
Once you do one you will be hooked. Next thing ya kno your LS swapping your weedwacker. All jokes aside they are a great swap and they are super adaptable to the older vehicles and they are easy to work on. Intimidating to some at first just because they dont know them but let me tell you they are SUPER easy and just fkat out work good. I have a 700hp turbo street car and a bone stock 5.3 in my 49. Either will drive across country today if i wanted with no worries.

Justhorsenround #1417059 Thu Jul 15 2021 01:56 PM
J
JW51 Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Remember this from one parent to another. If you do a pickup you limit the number of knuckleheads he can legally haul at one time. [elvis]

Exactly. My oldest son (15) has a little Nissan pickup. In theory it’s an extended cab, but in practice it’s a 2 seater. Luckily, we wanted a truck. The younger one thinks he wants a car.

And to Barnfind49’s point: I’ve yet to talk to anyone who regrets their LS swap. I’ve always hated the “me too” 350 sbc swap. Not sure why I feel differently about this.

Last edited by JW51; Thu Jul 15 2021 02:24 PM.
Barnfind49 #1417177 Fri Jul 16 2021 12:33 PM
J
JW51 Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Barnfind49
Once you do one you will be hooked. Next thing ya kno your LS swapping your weedwacker. All jokes aside they are a great swap and they are super adaptable to the older vehicles and they are easy to work on. Intimidating to some at first just because they dont know them but let me tell you they are SUPER easy and just fkat out work good. I have a 700hp turbo street car and a bone stock 5.3 in my 49. Either will drive across country today if i wanted with no worries.

The wiring harness piece looks a little intimidating. Did you modify a factory harness or use something aftermarket?

Justhorsenround #1417212 Fri Jul 16 2021 07:41 PM
H
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
If you do a pickup you limit the number of knuckleheads he can legally haul at one time. [elvis]

Don't count on it- - - - -my wife, who spent 30-something years as a respiratory therapist at the local hospital got a visit from one of the city's finest while she was at work one night. It seems that they had just done a traffic stop on my daughter's 2-seater Triumph Spitfire, and she and five of her friends bailed out of the car. They had noticed that they were attracting attention, ducked down an alley, and PUT THE TOP UP! The gendarmes told Mama instead of giving her a ticket! Yep, the consequences we doled out were a lot worse than the judge would have imposed. Try walking for six weeks until the next report card comes out- - - -when you live 20 miles out of town!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
JW51 #1417376 Mon Jul 19 2021 02:30 AM
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by JW51
The wiring harness piece looks a little intimidating. Did you modify a factory harness or use something aftermarket?

I modified the stock harness. Yes to some it is intimidating but its really not that hard and all the info is online if you care to read it. Im to the point where I dont even pay attention when I do them. I used to take them all apart and weed out anything extra. Now i care less about weeding anything and I just leave it all and pull the pins at ecu and tape it up and leave it all together. Tie in some relays and fuses and its good to go. There is also always the holley terminatorX route too for someone who wants to just plug and play. In some instances its cheaper because it includes new harness, ecu, and guages all built in. There are a lot of different ways to do it. All have ups and downs.

JW51 #1417411 Mon Jul 19 2021 05:45 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
As long as the wiring diagrams are accurate, the world is your oyster.

JW51 #1417488 Tue Jul 20 2021 03:52 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
The web site was recently opened for 73-87 GM pickups AND the 88-91 K5 Blazers and Suburbans.. The rounded line or the mislabeled "squarebody". These trucks are a bit more plentiful and less expensive than getting into a 72 and older truck (for now).

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Rusty Rod #1417508 Tue Jul 20 2021 06:08 PM
J
JW51 Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Rusty Rod
The web site was recently opened for 73-87 GM pickups AND the 88-91 K5 Blazers and Suburbans.. The rounded line or the mislabeled "squarebody". These trucks are a bit more plentiful and less expensive than getting into a 72 and older truck (for now).

In my area, the market for the 73-87 GM trucks seems to be pretty inflated compared to just a couple years ago. They are getting very popular. Occasionally I see one listed for what seems like a sensible price but that is the exception rather than the norm.

Neighbor has a very original patina’d 73-ish truck that I’d like to have. They are a transmission shop and this is one with signage on the door that I’d assume had some sentimental value. They lowered it recently. Not my thing, but it still looks pretty good.

Last edited by JW51; Tue Jul 20 2021 07:45 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop