The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (Alainfrenchie54, Achipmunk, 32vsnake, Bolter Finally, DennisM, 2 invisible), 129 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,614
Posts1,005,764
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Stars Bangled Banner
#1415854 Sun Jul 04 2021 10:56 AM
C
'Bolter
Our national anthem is a VERY hard song to sing and few can hit all the high notes. Maybe Roy Orbison? There is a street performer that does it on a violin that hits every note so if you think you can just try to sing the lyrics along with her playing. "Karolina Protsenko plays the USA National Anthem" for July 4th.

Evan
Re: Stars Bangled Banner
coilover #1415855 Sun Jul 04 2021 12:25 PM
W
back yard wrench turner

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
-30-Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
coilover #1415868 Sun Jul 04 2021 03:17 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Evan, for those who know how to sing, and how to start in their proper key, it's not terribly difficult -- after all, the tune itself is an English drinking song ... People have trouble if they try to go up an octave in the second to last stanza instead of just staying where they belong. Singers get themselves into trouble by trying to get too fancy with it. The song is to be sung with reverence and respect, not made a "look at me" spectacle of. The emphasis should be on the music itself and, more importantly, what it actually means and stands for. Not on the performer.

If you want a hard song to sing, try any Gilbert & Sullivan patter song ... "I am the very model of a modern major general" comes to mind... smile

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

coilover #1415880 Sun Jul 04 2021 04:43 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
I thought it was about an immigrant who didn't have a good seat at the ball game. You know, Jose can you see???? grin OK, I'll let myself out now.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
coilover #1415881 Sun Jul 04 2021 04:48 PM
'Bolter

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
John Milliman #1416313 Thu Jul 08 2021 01:57 PM
J
'Bolter
Originally Posted by John Milliman
The song is to be sung with reverence and respect, not made a "look at me" spectacle of. The emphasis should be on the music itself and, more importantly, what it actually means and stands for. Not on the performer.

Yes, one thousand times yes.

coilover #1416422 Fri Jul 09 2021 12:07 PM
I
'Bolter
Originally Posted by coilover
Our national anthem is a VERY hard song to sing and few can hit all the high notes. Maybe Roy Orbison? There is a street performer that does it on a violin that hits every note so if you think you can just try to sing the lyrics along with her playing. "Karolina Protsenko plays the USA National Anthem" for July 4th.

Roy Orbison sure did have the chords that let him sing the songs he sang.. and you are right about the National Anthem being hard to sing ,, many singers at pro football games has proven they should not of stood out there in the middle of the field and butchered our great song of our country ..

Directions are just another mans Opinion

coilover #1416438 Fri Jul 09 2021 02:34 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Still disagree. I think it's a easy enough tune to carry. It's a beautiful and moving anthem that requires no adornments or flourishes (They only detract). I posit that there are too many people who vastly overestimate their ability to sing *any* tune, and when they do attempt our National Anthem, they crave the attention more than they want to honor our great Nation. Singers who render the anthem as an honor to the country, not themselves, usually do just fine with it. Look at thee, not me.

I read recently of a pro sports game where a member of the audience started singing the anthem and the whole stadium joined in. *THAT'S* the way to sing it.

The anthem sounds beautiful and is very moving when sung by many people.... um, you know ... e pluribus unum

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

coilover #1416450 Fri Jul 09 2021 04:31 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
Several years ago there was a hockey game in Canada when the Edmonton Oiler fans sang the anthem when the singer's mic failed. Pretty neat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2jb51HzTs

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
coilover #1416481 Sat Jul 10 2021 12:57 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Tiny -- That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!

I hate to admit it, but the Russians always did the whole National Anthem thing better than we did. I am proud, as many of you are, to be a Cold War veteran and to have kicked the Soviets' butts ... but we can be magnanimous and admit that they have a truly stirring national anthem. [youtube.com]

THAT is how a National Anthem is to be sung.

John

— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop