The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (moparguy, D B Cooper, Fireman30, Chev4t6, TPR57C), 93 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,660
Posts1,006,225
Members44,993
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My Model A Project
#1414890 Fri Jun 25 2021 03:52 PM
MNSmith Offline OP
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
For those that like pictures: http://www.bunchobikes.com/modela1.htm

Started with a man named Bill Schultz.
Schultz & Glenn '71 Championship car [images.squarespace-cdn.com]
Over The Hill Gang Championship Car [draglist.com]
In N Out Funnycar 1 [garlits.com]
In N Out Funny Car 2 [i.pinimg.com]

Yes, that is a pristine, "barn find" numbers matching, Impala convertible next to the Tudor. No, he won't sell it. I tried. He's giving it to his "kids" as he doesn't think he will ever get to it. He also has me working on his '40 Ford Coupe so he can give it to them also, along with a handful of other cars.

So, Bill has a nice, dropped, flathead Model A frame to put his Tudor body on. So he gave me this stock frame. He also gave me this V6, I think was built by Bill or Mike Demarest, Groundshakers AA/FA, 15 oz. Coupe, El Monte, Ca. boys who did a ton of drag racing in the late 60', early 70's and built Bonneville cars. Either way, this little six was built for boost, so why not stick a blower on it.

Now, this isn't the first Model A I've had, nor the first 30's car I've had. But this one definitely won't get sold to feed the kids or put shoes on their feet. This one is a keeper!

Blower motor shot. Which was kicked off by the motor mount discussion in the HiPo Shop Forum. http://www.bunchobikes.com/modela325.jpg

Just thought I'd share. Yeah, I haven't done much with the Suburban lately. Gotta get the '40 out of my "paint booth" because that is next for it. Gonna finally put some color on it.

Am I rambling?

Re: My Model A Project
MNSmith #1414900 Fri Jun 25 2021 05:46 PM
O
'Bolter
Judging by those pictures you could really ramble if you wanted to!

The multiple blower belts look sweet, and the fuel lines are immaculate.

I have wondered how well aluminum tube nuts work on stainless steel tubing? Are the male flares ends aluminum or steel?

'59 Chevy Suburban, NAPCO
MNSmith #1414904 Fri Jun 25 2021 06:14 PM
H
'Bolter
Is that original Model A power train "looking for a home" by any chance? I'm tinkering with an idea to put a DOHC cylinder head om a Model A block, but the block I'm working with right now probably isn't in good enough shape for anything but mockup purposes
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
MNSmith #1414908 Fri Jun 25 2021 06:44 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Nice project. I need to get back at mine!!

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
MNSmith #1414911 Fri Jun 25 2021 07:00 PM
W
'Bolter
I have practically given up on having a pre-WWII Mopar, not completely but close enough. Country Classic in Stauton Il. has a 35 dodge for sale. Right year but wrong brand but close enough. If I go to KC will I go and see if it is still there. ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Ott3r #1414998 Sat Jun 26 2021 04:18 PM
MNSmith Offline OP
Originally Posted by Ott3r
The multiple blower belts look sweet, and the fuel lines are immaculate.

I have wondered how well aluminum tube nuts work on stainless steel tubing? Are the male flares ends aluminum or steel?

Thanks! I wanted to go back to an early style with the V belt, even if not efficient. But I didn't want to go so far back as a chain drive. Everyone has a Gilmore belt, so I didn't want to do that. Though, I entertained a 2" wide belt idea for a little while. It would've been hard to find the pulleys.

The fittings on the block are aluminum because I wanted black anodize. Otherwise, where they enter and exit the frame, they are all steel. I'll have to remember a dab of anti-seize before final assembly.

Hotrod Lincoln #1415000 Sat Jun 26 2021 04:31 PM
MNSmith Offline OP
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Is that original Model A power train "looking for a home" by any chance? I'm tinkering with an idea to put a DOHC cylinder head om a Model A block, but the block I'm working with right now probably isn't in good enough shape for anything but mockup purposes
Jerry

I didn't see a four banger in the shop there. Doesn't mean he has it stashed somewhere else, though. From memory, he had a 327 (pictured) and the V6 he gave me. The flathead in the second A frame for his Tudor, and a V12 Jaguar engine buried under a bunch of stuff. He also has a complete early 30's Chevy drivetrain he wanted to move along. I haven't seen the car, but I think his goal was to install a 235 in the car? Front axle to rear axle in that deal. We had it on Craigslist for a while with no takers.

You can see the Jag motor in the first pic to the right of the Tudor. In the second picture, you can see bits of the frame to the left of the 327. Kugel under dash pedals hanging out of a box. I think those are the pedal assembly he handed me to install in his '40.

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop