The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (ASU), 224 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics121,943
Posts983,257
Members44,348
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
It was the fuel pump.
#141470 Sun Dec 19 2004 05:31 AM
Cletis Offline OP
Extreme Gabster
Well the other day in Glenn's "Dang, starts right up again" post I told about rewiring the ignition on the Yard dog. I fired it up and it ran fine so I thought it was fixed. So today I tried to use it. It was doing the same old thing. It would start and run until I stepped on the clutch then cut off.

Now I know it's not the ignition wiring. So I changed the carburetor. It was still doing the same old thing. I changed the capacitor. It was still doing the same old thing. I popped the fuel line off the carb and had June spin the engine. No fuel.

Guess what? O'reilly has it in stock. I ran to town, got a fuel pump and installed it. Go to crank it up and the battery runs down before I get fuel to the carb.

Finally got it started and it runs fine again. I still haven't done the work I need to do though. In fact it still has a post hole digger dangling from the hook that was on it when it went down the first time.

The old fuel pump was the glass bowl type and the new one was the sealed up type. I decided to take the old one apart to see what it was made of. To my surprise all the working parts looked good in it. The problem was a solid coat of gunk. There is a very fine screen in there about 1" diameter and it was blocked with gunk. I believe this thing could be cleaned up and re-used. I also believe the top half, that the glass bowl fits on, could be mated to a new bottom half if you needed a new diaphram and were concerned with looking original.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Re: It was the fuel pump.
#141471 Sun Dec 19 2004 05:46 AM
Moderator, Passing Lane
Glad that you got the old dog running,,Napa also have the fuel pumps..I have an extra one that I keep with me, thought it was out. bought a new one and did not need it,, do you ever buy something and end up not needing it?Fred

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#141472 Sun Dec 19 2004 08:18 AM
V
Shop Shark
So ;

Are you going to re-install the fuel pump ? or toss it in the parts box as I'd use it if you don't want it , ping me off list please ~

-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
#141473 Sun Dec 19 2004 03:44 PM
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Cletis, sounds like you ended up spending some quality time with the "Dawg." I've been through the fuel pump thing with 'Ol Blue, too, glass bowl on top and all.

Be sure to hang onto the old fuel pump with the glass bowl, 'cause you cain't get 'em anymore. The boys in Regtown have decided that having exposed glass in a fuel system may be detrimental to a whole lot of things.

Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
#141474 Mon Dec 20 2004 04:50 AM
Cletis Offline OP
Extreme Gabster
The anti-glass bowl regs must have just taken effect because I bought one last spring for my '55 first GMC. I settled for the other one this time because they had it in stock and I wanted to work. NAPA was closed Saturday afternoon.
The part numbers:
Glass bowl type- Carter, Federal-Mogul M751
Closed type- Carter, Federal-Mogul M2118

There is a rebuilt 235 in the yarddog's future and I'll clean up the old one and re-use it then.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop