The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,970
Posts1,008,598
Members45,105
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: swap a '53 tranny into 1950 ?
Hotrod Lincoln #1414676 Wed Jun 23 2021 05:57 PM
D
'Bolter
Jerry, for passenger cars, the spray-oiler 235 (solid lifter) was used with the 3-speed manual transmission in '53.

Before that, only Powerglide-equipped cars had spray-oiler 235s from '50-52, and they were equipped with hydraulic lifters, just as your wrote. '53 was a transition year, where the Powerglide cars got the first "full pressure" 235s with insert rod bearings (and hydraulic lifters), while those with standard transmissions still had the earlier spray-oiler design.

HD trucks started with the early 235s back in '41 as you know, although I've never seen one with a 3-speed (always 4-speed). Interesting that TSP found a refence to a truck 3-speed with 235.

I believe among the spray-oiler 235s, only the '53 engines had side engine mounts. The '50-52 cars with Powerglide used the front/timing plate mount, as was used for the 216s. I'm not sure if the '50-'52 235 blocks had side-mounting provisions, but I don't think so. The side "tower" mounts were first used in '53-'54 cars.

I have a '53 Powerglide (full pressure) engine in my shop at the moment that doesn't look to have ever been apart (casting date of December, '52). It has both the side mounts, used in the '53-'54 cars, and the older-style front/timing plate with mounting provisions, even though they weren't used in '53 cars. Maybe Chevy was working off the older stock (of timing plates) going into the '53 model year?

As for your '52 engine with Powerglide, the factory never combined the 216 with a Powerglide, so that wouldn't be an original combination.

Hope this helps.

Doug

GMJim #1414687 Wed Jun 23 2021 07:42 PM
H
'Bolter
I had a one-owner 1950 2-door hardtop Bel Air in my high school shop for a couple of years that had a Powerglide trans, and side engine mounts. An assistant principal at the school had inherited it from his father, who bough it new. Someone had swapped a side-mount 216 from a later model car into it, according to the stamped number by the distributor. I believe the engine checked out to be a 1952 passenger car 216, by the stampings. I didn't ever tear if down far enough to confirm the bore and stroke. The car had definitely NOT had any sort of engine mount modifications, however.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1414704 Wed Jun 23 2021 10:25 PM
D
'Bolter
Thanks, Jerry. Always learning something new about these cars & trucks. I went back to my '53 Chevy Master Parts Catalog, since you got me thinking about the side mounts. According to that, I was certainly mistaken about the first year of the car side mounts - started in '52, not '53 (they share a common lower mount P/N). So the '52 engine in your '50 Bel Air would have been set up for the side mounts. Makes sense.

Doug

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop