The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Winery Truck, lumbersawyer, 78buckshot, hbarbee, Cosmo, Tiny), 128 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,671
Posts1,006,304
Members44,997
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Turn signal's
#1414051 Wed Jun 16 2021 10:46 AM
J
PA OUTLAW
Hello all working on 1954 chevy 3100 replaced turn signal switch and wire harness . Having problems getting turn signals and separate 4 way unit to work !! Does anyone have wiring diagram that shows the turn signal assembly and flasher assembly . THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Re: Turn signal's
jrhackett #1414078 Wed Jun 16 2021 03:50 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Start by rechecking that the grounds are clean and that the turn signal housings have a good ground to the body and body to frame.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
jrhackett #1414086 Wed Jun 16 2021 04:43 PM
B
Curmudgeon
The original wiring harness did not have a "4 way unit" so it's difficult to help you find a diagram without further information.
The original wiring diagram can be found in your 1954 Chevy truck shop manual. If you don't have one then look here.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm1202.html.

more info here.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/electrical/wiring/pdf/54truckwiring.pdf

You can also look in Tech Tips for some helpful information "How do I wire my turn signals?".

BTW, the forum hasn't heard back from you on reinstalling your steering column. I guess all worked okay?

Last edited by buoymaker; Wed Jun 16 2021 04:59 PM.
jrhackett #1414210 Fri Jun 18 2021 02:19 PM
F
'Bolter
jrhackett Ihad a 7 or 9 wire guide found a wiring diagram on internet,connected it and worked OK one rear signal wouldn,t always come on . Shot it with stuff called tuner cleaner worked fine had 4-ways too !Hard to find them now my local wilderness junk yard is running low on em !!

buoymaker #1414211 Fri Jun 18 2021 02:29 PM
F
'Bolter
buoymaker In the guide (at least 7 wire )switch,when you installed it that was the 4-way system right ?? It only requires 3 wires to the rear of the truck, The switch has to be grounded so the pilot light in the lever will work.

jrhackett #1414220 Fri Jun 18 2021 05:14 PM
B
Curmudgeon
Interesting! The OP didn't respond to his/her last post either.
Probably gone fishin...

jrhackett #1414224 Fri Jun 18 2021 05:26 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Easy guys, he was on here yesterday at noon. No one had asked him any questions only suggestions on what to do or where to look. All questions are from today, maybe he doesn’t sit on top of his computer waiting for us helpful folks. All he really asked for was a diagram so maybe he found what he needed elsewhere.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Turn signal
#1414226 Fri Jun 18 2021 06:49 PM
J
PA OUTLAW
Hello all a special thank you to Fixite 7, Buoymaker, Bartamous and justhorsenaround !!!! Thank you for your response to my Turn signal questions .A little more info my Truck is a 1954 chevy 3100 . With a hydra-matic transmission was my Dads Truck .Have been working a long time ( FRAME off Restoration) seams like a lifetime have it close to drivable put a stock wire harness from J Carter also my turn signal switch ( 7 wire ) was also stock from J Carter . Stock steering column . The 4r way flasher ( 5 wire) was a add on when that law went in. I missed placed the diagram for the turn signal switch but have the one for the wire harness. Sorry didn't get back to you all sooner sometimes I must WALK a way Getting older I have lost my patience BUT AM VERY THANKFUL FOR ALL THAT RESPONSED AND THIS WEB SITE THANK YOUALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PA OUTLAW!!!!!!!!111

jrhackett #1414234 Fri Jun 18 2021 08:52 PM
B
Curmudgeon
I was referring to:

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...ydra-matic-transmission.html#Post1412801

Removing and replacing the steering has an impact on this topic (Turn signal's).
In an effort to help people, we (the forum) look back on the posters previous posts to glean more information which is usually sparse in coming.

jrhackett #1414341 Sun Jun 20 2021 06:13 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
There is no requirement or law, saying you must have hazard capability. Was required after your truck was built and was for new vehicles only. You sound like you have the turn signals and wiring harness and you want to install a separate 4 way hazard flasher switch and wiring. Is that what you have?

Does the Carter unit have a red pull knob as well as the normal lever? That is the 4 way flasher knob. If that is what you have, You DO NOT NEED a separate unit with 5 wires. After you advise us and post a pic or two of the Carter unit, so we can be sure, I will provide you with how to wire the Carter unit. Can you also post a pic or two of this "separate" unit. I believe you will be removing it. Please try to stay on this with us. It may be frustrating for you do deal with, but WAY more frustrating for us, who have the answers for you to get unfrustrated. This is where you come to get fixed, so watch your post for questions and instructions. You should be getting emails telling you that you have a response.

More questions:
1. How much of the new harness is installed?
2. Is the Carter unit installed and wired at all or waiting for feedback from us.
3. Do you have a rear tail light on left and right side? Do they have dual filament bulbs?
4. Are your Carter wires GRN YEL ORN BRN BLU BLK RED ?
5. Do you have a 2 or a 3 prong flasher?
6. The wiring for the turn signal switch was printed on the box. We don't need it. Any chance you could post readable harness diagram and instructions?

ALL QUESTIONS ARE IN BLUE

P.S. The Carter harness is not what I would recommend for daily driver, restomod or someone not concerned with a nostalgia pure restoration. It is lacking in things that should be included for an upgrade. For persons in the categories I mention, consider a prewired fuse box universal harness. I don't think the Carter harness supports the turn signal wires, I think just has one wire for a light. This may require some crimping/soldering on your part. We will see. Don't worry, none of this is difficult after we get a little more info. We will get you wired. Step by step. You must answer all questions clearly first.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop