The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (CrowbarBob, Asahi1234, destryridesagain, 55shaker, 2ManyTrucks, 2 invisible), 135 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,640
Posts1,006,005
Members44,990
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Not Bolt friendly---yet
#1413373 Thu Jun 10 2021 02:07 AM
C
'Bolter
Maybe by the time grand kids are leading the charge they will be working on convertible trucks (SSR). If so they can refer back to ancient history and skim over some tips. A roadster is fairly rigid being short with a compact body but by the time they stretched them out and added a back seat it's like working with cooked spaghetti. Big engines and big tires give big headaches. The owner of this 1966 Lemans wants 600 rwhp and refused to let us weld the doors shut so the fun begins. To demonstrate a convertible take a Velveeta cheese box and twist back and forth with the lid on. Not rigid but has some resistance. Now remove lid (convertible) and repeat. Almost droops on it's own. The perimeter frame now has a lattice work of 1.75 Molly tubing with more cross members coming once driveshaft is in place. Torque boxes are added to floor pan and 14g drive shaft tunnel in floor pan is being fabricated.
Probably have to zoom to see tubing:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/7583hFCm/IMG-5292.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Wheel well and quarter worked to take big rubber:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/PLH0WV7M/IMG-5293.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Evan
Re: Not Bolt friendly---yet
coilover #1413376 Thu Jun 10 2021 02:32 AM
H
'Bolter
When somebody insisted on doing things "his way" and ignoring good advice, I made sure to make it well worth my time to indulge his fantasies. There was usually a good-sized surcharge added to accommodate the bad-mouthing he would give us when the project went sour!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
coilover #1413385 Thu Jun 10 2021 03:16 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I've seen the top fuel dragsters flex when they take off, and it's pretty impressive, and on those, there's really not much weight on the front end. A Lemans ragtop would be like a wet noodle if you didn't reinforce it. Hope it goes well.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
coilover #1413404 Thu Jun 10 2021 12:59 PM
M
'Bolter
I'm betting the Lemans will be fine when your guys finish Evan. On my 302 Miata, (5.0 Miata just doesn't sound right) I boxed the factory floor supports with home brewed stiffeners stitched together from 4"/.125 plate with 1" angle on each side. The new boxing rails were then bolted and welded to the floor and welded to the front and rear subframes. Also added a roll bar that has two attachment points on each side. This all really made a difference in stiffening the car. Rides and handles better.

Right after making the above mods I nearly had a heart attack while working under the little car when I accidently kicked one of the 4 jack stands holding it up couple feet off the floor. The kicked jack went sliding across the shop floor. The car didn't move even an inch. Still, my goal is to never repeat that test.

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Thu Jun 10 2021 02:26 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

coilover #1413423 Thu Jun 10 2021 03:10 PM
H
'Bolter
One advantage to a relatively rigid frame is the ability to adjust spring rates for individual wheels. The "Go fast- - - -turn left" crowd that I grew up around used the roll cage for frame stiffening as well as driver protection, and then used different capacity springs and/or jacking bolts in the spring anchors to adjust the handling. Just don't try to make a right turn at speed!
Jerry

coilover #1413431 Thu Jun 10 2021 03:32 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
My step-mother had a 47 Chevy convertible. it had a beautiful paint job when she (I mean my father) bought it. over the years, the poor body work started to show.
My step-brother has a lot of talent welding, making sheet metal straight and painting. He worked on that car for about 3 years while it was on a lift. During that time
my SM is polishing all the brightwork, collecting small missing parts ect. He finally finishes the paint, body (including new floors that really didn't need to be replaced--- his words).
He sets the car on its wheels.... doop, the car had drooped! Not much, but it set off his OCD. the car sat for another couple of years, then was pushed into a shed. fast forward
about10 more years, car is sold for about 25% of its worth, just to get it out of the way.

He told me he was so disgusted with himself, that he couldn't even look at it... and that he just needed to pie cut the floor boards to let it settle flat... but it had to be perfect.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
coilover #1413438 Thu Jun 10 2021 04:32 PM
H
'Bolter
A restoration shop in Gallatin Tennessee just a little north of Nashville is famous for its rebuilt Ford Mustangs. There's a 2-year waiting list just to get a car in the door. He uses a jig made from 8" H-beams to support the cars while structural repairs such as floor pans and other parts of the unitized body are replaced. His restorations are probably straighter, and the doors and other body panels are better aligned than when the cars rolled off the assembly line. If you need to ask what a restoration job like that costs, you probably can't afford it!
Jerry

klhansen #1413448 Thu Jun 10 2021 05:57 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Originally Posted by klhansen
.........and on those, there's really not much weight on the front end.
There's more weight on those front ends than you would think. Just ask my back!

Two trains of thought on dragster chassis, especially during the golden era. Super stiff or super flexible. http://cacklefest.com/images/M6.jpg

coilover #1413512 Fri Jun 11 2021 06:20 AM
C
'Bolter
I like the Mustang rebuild guy already and I haven't even met him. We also have a GM factory frame jig and do MUCH bracing on the body during panel replacement.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/DmW0YFrQ/GM-frame-jig-002.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/RWCzyLrr/GM-frame-jig-001.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/LYDWzrXn/Jay-s-37-019.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Evan
coilover #1413527 Fri Jun 11 2021 02:40 PM
Leo Offline
'Bolter
Years ago I had a 1963 SS Nova convertible. If the top was down, the doors would bind and could barely open. If the top was up they were fine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop