The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (baldeagle, 49nut, DennisM, festerhairball, 2ManyTrucks, 3 invisible), 111 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,615
Posts1,005,771
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
pits pits and pits
#1412970 Mon Jun 07 2021 03:14 PM
P
'Bolter
I was totally aware of this issue going in on this project, but my '57 Panel has alot of pitted rust on the body. At this time, I'm just looking to get it driveable, and paint it flat black, and enjoy it for what it is. But for the long term, if I look to have it repainted to be nicer, what do you all recommend? I've done sandblasting of parts and some body pieces in the past, but I know that it won't go well in my current home/neighborhood to be shooting sand all over the place. I also know that it would be quite an undertaking to drill out the welds of all of the body panels and replace them (if the skins are even available).

I guess I'm just looking for what you guys might do, and, if it's different from my current plan? I'm not the kind of guy who needs a fully restored pristine machine. I simply take pride in knowing that I've saved yet another classic vehicle from the crusher.

PM

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Re: pits pits and pits
pan3lman #1413000 Mon Jun 07 2021 05:58 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I have a small blaster with rubber nozzles shaped to fit against various shapes, and a bag to catch the sand. It limits the amount of sand that goes everywhere. Got it from Grizzly Industrial. Probably wouldn't work well except for small areas, but a consideration for you.

I had my entire cab blasted by a guy who came to my place and set up a tent to enclose it. It was noisy though.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
klhansen #1413152 Tue Jun 08 2021 06:31 PM
P
'Bolter
Originally Posted by klhansen
I have a small blaster with rubber nozzles shaped to fit against various shapes, and a bag to catch the sand. It limits the amount of sand that goes everywhere. Got it from Grizzly Industrial. Probably wouldn't work well except for small areas, but a consideration for you.

I had my entire cab blasted by a guy who came to my place and set up a tent to enclose it. It was noisy though.

Interesting!! Did they primer it for you as well? Or did you do that afteward on your own?

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
pan3lman #1413190 Tue Jun 08 2021 10:13 PM
I did the primer on the cab. It was still on the rotisserie, which made it pretty easy to do. Blew the sand out, use some wax and grease remover on it and shot it in the driveway.

I took my bed parts and rear fenders to a different blaster years ago and had them shoot primer on them as well. That was before I was set up for painting.

Check around for Mobile Blasting. My guy has all his stuff set up on a trailer -- A diesel compressor, and blast pot. He can also do wet blasting.

Kevin
pan3lman #1413194 Tue Jun 08 2021 10:28 PM
G
Insomniac
If the pits are actually pin holes, you will have to patch the metal.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Gord&Fran #1413197 Tue Jun 08 2021 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gord&Fran
If the pits are actually pin holes, you will have to patch the metal.
Unless they're continuous, you could use a skim of JB Weld for that. When it starts looking like cottage cheese, then you have to evaluate whether it needs new metal patched in.

Kevin
pan3lman #1413199 Tue Jun 08 2021 10:39 PM
G
Insomniac
If you can get at the pin holes from both sides, you can fix them.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
pan3lman #1413292 Wed Jun 09 2021 12:53 PM
W
back yard wrench turner
The pits can be filled in with this Master Series Silver [masterseriesct.com] paint.

Tape over the backside to prevent drippage and the use a brush, roller, or spray. Once one side is done the back can be covered. This paint will not come off.

You don't have to remove the rust, just the loose scale.

It's a great product.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
-30-Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop