The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (Phak1, Fireman30, 59 fleet, carbking, 2 invisible), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,607
Posts1,005,708
Members44,983
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ammeter
#1412527 Thu Jun 03 2021 05:19 PM
F
Fred T Offline OP
'Bolter
After a 25 year wait I am finally putting tn a new wiring harness in my 52 and am going to have a problem with the ammeter. New harness is configured for a voltmeter.

1. Does anyone make a voltmeter for the original cluster?

2. If not, has anyone converted the ammeter to a voltmeter?

3. As a last resort, how does one wire the ammeter? Harness is Jegs 20 circuit.

Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Re: Ammeter
Fred T #1412534 Thu Jun 03 2021 05:57 PM
'Bolter
Hello Fred T,

I followed the instructions in this Tech Tip: Swapping your Ammeter for a Voltmeter in the Advance Design Gauge Cluster ... for $22!

It's worked great since the conversion over five years ago!

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104 [flic.kr]
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred [flic.kr]

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Fred T #1412542 Thu Jun 03 2021 07:25 PM
P
'Bolter
Thumbs up for Jegs, too! I have bought many parts from them over the years.

I bought the Speedway Motors 22 circuit harness, but only bc it had been recommended to me.

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Fred T #1412781 Sat Jun 05 2021 04:00 PM
H
'Bolter
The manufacturers of aftermarket wiring harnesses don't like the liability of running battery charging current through decades-old dash ammeters. Therefore, they encourage people to use a voltmeter instead. There's no danger in using a good condition, properly-wired ammeter, especially if a shunt is used to bypass some of the current around the gauge. The shunt turns the ammeter into a charge/no charge indicator, but even when they were new, dash ammeters were notoriously inaccurate.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Fred T #1412838 Sun Jun 06 2021 03:10 AM
'Bolter
Fred, assuming you have the #10405 harness from Jegs, it is really a simple modification to wire the ammeter if you choose that option. And as Jerry indicated there is no danger in using the ammeter if all is in good working condition and with proper wiring technique. Looking at their on-line wiring diagram there is a #16 wire that goes from the fuse panel to the starter solenoid. Just splice the ammeter in series with that wire. Cut it so that one terminal of your ammeter connects to the fuse panel and the other terminal of the ammeter connects on to the starter solenoid. You may find, as I did with my 59, that all is well without a shunt. If the normal operation of your truck seems to peg the ammeter more than you are comfortable with, you can just add the shunt later.

I would also suggest that you include a 14 gage fusible link in that #16 wire near where it connects to the starter solenoid.

Mark

Fred T #1412842 Sun Jun 06 2021 04:22 AM
H
'Bolter
I'd suggest replacing that #16 wire with a #10 or maybe a #8, since it will be carrying close to full alternator output on occasion. Use a 60 amp maxi-fuse or a fusible link one size smaller that the main wire in case of a heavy current short circuit.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1412852 Sun Jun 06 2021 01:50 PM
'Bolter
The #16 wire mentioned is just the numbering system for the wiring diagram, not indicating the wire size. It appears to be permanently part of the fuse panel. The Jegs information does not show the wire sizes and hopefully they are sized correctly.

Fred, that wiring diagram for the "motor group wiring" that Jegs shows on the website has some errors. The alternator and the ignition resistor are not shown correctly. If you are using points ignition the wire labeled "not normally used" should go to the opposite end of the ignition resistor. The alternator wiring is shown correctly on the next page of the online instructions. Be sure that you wire them correctly and not as shown on that diagram.

Mark

Attached Files

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop