The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Bruce36 1.5, carbking, AD8, coach-frank, DavidBraley, 55shaker, 1 invisible), 154 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,955
Posts1,000,356
Members44,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: No brake lights- what am I missing here?
pan3lman #1412648 Fri Jun 04 2021 05:01 PM
P
'Bolter
Thanks guys, there's a turn signal switch on the top of the column, and earlier this AM, I did find a wire diagram for the '57 TS circuit. After work today, I'm going to compare the diag to the sliced and diced old harness currently in my column, but at first glance, it appears to match.

That said, I guess the next thing on the purchase list is a new TS switch. It's $150, and doesn't even include the turn signal lever, lol. I wish it were a '56 truck, bc then I could say it did not come with turn signals from the factory!!! Eesh.

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
pan3lman #1412654 Fri Jun 04 2021 05:35 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
ohwell

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

pan3lman #1412659 Fri Jun 04 2021 06:14 PM
B
Curmudgeon
If you have an original turn signal assembly and it works, or could be made to work mechanically, then I would just replace the switch inside. It's about $20 plus shipping. You have to remove the steering wheel. The old mechanical parts may simply need degreasing and cleaning. Check shop manual from type grease required.

The problem is with the wiring connectors/connections.
If the 57 is like the 54 and 55, the wiring from the switch goes inside the steering column and comes out directly underneath the dash.

option 1: Call Speedway or whomever you purchased from and see if they offer a mating connector with wiring and contacts. It's called a "pigtail". You would clip the 57 connectors and hardwire (solder the wires together and heat shrink) to the pigtail.
option 2: Clip the wiring harness turn signal connector and install 57 type mating connectors (if they are available) to the new switch.
option 3: Don't use any connectors. Hardwire only. The downside is if the switch ever fails, it will take longer to replace.

Attached Files
TS Switch.jpg (26.38 KB, 61 downloads)
Last edited by buoymaker; Fri Jun 04 2021 06:17 PM.
buoymaker #1412665 Fri Jun 04 2021 06:51 PM
P
'Bolter
Originally Posted by buoymaker
If you have an original turn signal assembly and it works, or could be made to work mechanically, then I would just replace the switch inside. It's about $20 plus shipping. You have to remove the steering wheel. The old mechanical parts may simply need degreasing and cleaning. Check shop manual from type grease required.

The problem is with the wiring connectors/connections.
If the 57 is like the 54 and 55, the wiring from the switch goes inside the steering column and comes out directly underneath the dash.

option 1: Call Speedway or whomever you purchased from and see if they offer a mating connector with wiring and contacts. It's called a "pigtail". You would clip the 57 connectors and hardwire (solder the wires together and heat shrink) to the pigtail.
option 2: Clip the wiring harness turn signal connector and install 57 type mating connectors (if they are available) to the new switch.
option 3: Don't use any connectors. Hardwire only. The downside is if the switch ever fails, it will take longer to replace.

Thanks! I did wonder if the OEM one could be rebuilt, since it's already there. It just looks a bit tired. The wires that are on the OEM one actually do come out at the floor on mine, so I don't know if maybe it's an aftermarket one or not. I'll have to get some pics later today and load them here.

The harness kit came with a few different connectors, so I'll have to check and see what is there.

pan3lman #1412954 Mon Jun 07 2021 01:47 PM
P
'Bolter
I went ahead and ordered a new turn signal switch, and a TS lever, from Eckler's yesterday. I'm going to see if that resolves my debacle before going and ordering a whole cup assy blah blah blah. Stay tuned.

pan3lman #1413055 Tue Jun 08 2021 02:17 AM
B
Curmudgeon
Heads up, this information may be of interest only to those who want to use a modern configuration wiring harness and keep the original steering column.

I interchange the word "pin" with "connector".

There isn't a pigtail available on the market that will connect to the 3 7/8" plug of the turn signal circuit of the 910-64022 wiring kit. The kit is originally made by American Autowire (AAW). AAW does make a 1955-59 Chevy/GMC complete wiring kit but here again the kit is for an early GM steering column (1969-74) with the same 3 7/8" plug. If you want to keep your original steering column, AAW provides an adapter (basically the opposite gender plug) but it is not prewired. You cut off the old wires from the 1955-59 plug of the turn signal switch and crimp-on the provided connectors that push into the adapter. You could simply hardwire the connections and not use plugs but if you ever needed to do maintenance on the assembly, it would be nice to simply unplug the connection.

Jegs has a kit 555-10408 that includes the parts needed.

Crimping connectors on wires is an easy task as long as you have some kind soul to show you how it's done. For a good crimp you need a ratcheting crimper ($100+ ones like Amphenol are an overkill), with a die, made for the specific crimping diameter. Too small and you shear the connector off. Too big and the wire will fall out. Some other gotchas. Don't crimp the connector around the wire insulation. You have to put the correct wire in the correct position in the plug. Once it clicks in place, it can be difficult to make it release to get the wire out (I use a flattened paper clip to depress the locking tab).

The plug that is physically mounted inside of a 1969-74 steering column is a male housing plug that uses male connectors. This is is the style plug (like the one from the Jegs kit) that will now go to the 1955-59 turn signal switch. The plug of the wiring kit (910-64022) is a female housing plug with female connectors.

Attached Files
30b.jpg (104.59 KB, 18 downloads)
30d.jpg (68.35 KB, 18 downloads)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop