The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (jasrking, Hotrod Lincoln, AD8, Doc.Hall, 4 invisible), 170 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,958
Posts1,000,361
Members44,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Truck wont start
SteveJ #1412776 Sat Jun 05 2021 02:59 PM
H
'Bolter
"I love it when a plan comes together!" No one of us is as smart as all of us working together can be! Congratulations on solving the problem. Over 60+ years of doing, and teaching auto mechanics, I've found that electrical diagnosis is one of the most difficult things to teach. Most people have a very hard time visualizing current flow, since they can't see what those electrons are doing!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
SteveJ #1412779 Sat Jun 05 2021 03:36 PM
P
'Bolter
Originally Posted by SteveJ
So I did everything you guys recommended today - cleaned all the contacts (that I was sure I had cleaned before well enough), checked the linkages and turned over and started first try.

Thank you so much, you guys are amazing. Frustration over!
When I just had my pinched wire issue recently, it resulted in a plume of white smoke. That really blew my legs out until I found the cause (with help from this site), so I know how you probably were feeling! Glad your issue is fixed!

I had a similar issue with another car I had years ago. The prior owners rigged the starter wire harness with a giant wire nut. One day I went to start the car and it was stone cold dead. Battery was fine, alternator fine, starter fine, I fought with it for 6 mos. with no luck. One day I was cleaning stuff in the garage, and from a different angle, noticed a small, thin wire hanging down near the firewall behind the engine...

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
SteveJ #1412871 Sun Jun 06 2021 05:07 PM
S
SteveJ Offline OP
'Bolter
Well, what a difference a day makes. Went out to start the truck and had the same problem - turns over once or twice then stops. Rechecked all the connections which seem secure. Frustration returns.

1949 chevy 3600
First attempt at restoration
SteveJ #1412874 Sun Jun 06 2021 05:22 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
So to be SPECIFIC, which we really really need here, "then stops" means with foot pushing on pedal, starter turns motor over a few revolutions, then still pressing on pedal, starter no longer operates? All is dead? no sound and no starter trying to rotate motor?

Do you have a multimeter? If so, set to DC volts and place probes on pos and neg posts of battery and report reading. (not on the cable clamps). Next see if starter spins by hand operating the button on top of starter.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

bartamos #1412877 Sun Jun 06 2021 05:42 PM
S
SteveJ Offline OP
'Bolter
I get 6.29 volts at the battery. When I depress the foot pedal the engine turns over once or twice, then a pause, then once maybe twice, and this pattern continues. After my last attempt to start when I looked under the hood there was a small amount of white smoke near the starter. Not sure if that is because I held the pedal down longer than I normally do or if that is an indication of a bigger problem with the starter. The fact that it worked yesterday but not today, makes me think it is still a ground issue, but I am at a loss. The starter does turn if you push the button. Appreciate any help.

Steve

Last edited by SteveJ; Sun Jun 06 2021 05:46 PM.

1949 chevy 3600
SteveJ #1412880 Sun Jun 06 2021 05:53 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
When turning over once or twice, is it fast'ish or slow? Barely rotating? or fast then stop? If battery is not breaking down during load, which you can't tell unless a load test is done, then it does sound like a starter problem. You can use a 12V battery to see what happens. It won't hurt the starter if you don't lay on the pedal too long. That may identify a bad battery or a bad starter. I don't think you have a ground problem if you cleaned where the cable attaches to food pedal bracket or to starter bolt. Where is it connected now? For turning over motor, there is only one ground that matters, the negative cable attachment. I assume you have checked the positive cable clamp and battery post and the negative clamp and battery post and have shinned up everything and tightened.

WARNING Advise us BEFORE you do the 12V battery.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

SteveJ #1412881 Sun Jun 06 2021 05:56 PM
R
'Bolter
It might be a timing issue. I noticed the same behavior with my '28 four banger. The fix (for my problem) was to make sure that when trying to start the engine, the spark happens at TDC, not before.

If the spark happens before TDC, the explosion is pushing AGAINST the starter and the starter has to push through the explosion. If the spark happens AT TDC, this 'push back' is not there and the engine turns over nicely.

Hope this helps. Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Lurch: 1927 1-Ton Chevy Cattle Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
Old and ugly is beautiful! -- The Saga [stovebolt.com]
More fun with Lurch [stovebolt.com]

Justin: 1928 Chevrolet AB Canopy Express
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
SteveJ #1414845 Fri Jun 25 2021 02:55 AM
S
SteveJ Offline OP
'Bolter
I went through everything again and kept on coming back to that it had to be the starter. I took the starter to a different shop and they found that there was a short happening internally of the starter. They made some repairs and I just put it back in today and the truck started right up. Thanks for all of your help.

Steve

1949 chevy 3600
SteveJ #1414867 Fri Jun 25 2021 12:26 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Thanks for getting back to us with the solution to your problem.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop