The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (klhansen, HenrytheWound), 96 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,956
Posts1,008,475
Members45,101
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Leak around the Manual Lockout Shaft
#1411610 Thu May 27 2021 06:27 PM
'Bolter
I have a "small" leak coming from the seal around the manual lockout shaft on my overdrive unit. I have never been into a transmission and/or an overdrive unit. From reading Randy Rundle's document the overdrive unit must be removed and the seal replaced from the inside. Other than the caution regarding spilling the clutch rollers is it a major project to replace the seal or just leave the cookie sheet under it?

Bye the way, for those of you who may have not been aware, Randy Rundle, Author of "The Official Guide To THe Borg-Warner R-10 and R-11 Overdrive" and booklet owner of Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts, passed away in February 2020. He helped me with the setup of my overdrive wiring and I'm sure many others. He will be missed.

1959 Chevy Apache Stepside Truck
Re: Leak around the Manual Lockout Shaft
59rebuild #1412139 Mon May 31 2021 03:40 PM
R
'Bolter
It is not necessary to disassemble the rear housing to replace the seal on the R10H series overdrive. Some other OEM's yes.
To replace the seal on the OD shifter shaft: Remove the cable and move it out of the way, there is a small hole on the lower part of the block that holds the shaft, there is a tapered pin in that hole. Use a small pin punch to drive the tapered pin upwards, remove the pin. The shaft can now be removed.
The seal part number is: 6130, Seal, shift lever OD. You should be able to order the seal from Napa or a bearing supplier in your area.
Reassemble in the reverse order.
Fred

Note: Many of the publications are generic and cover a wide range of overdrive units. If the publication was published before 1955 it likely doesn't show the Muncie/R10 unit.

1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Re: Leak around the Manual Lockout Shaft
rfs56trk #1412784 Sat Jun 05 2021 05:13 PM
'Bolter
Thanks very much rfs56trk. That will save me time and not exceed my "pea" brain ability. Have a great day.

1959 Chevy Apache Stepside Truck

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop