The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (Jeff Meng, frogfarmer, aircommando462, Conductacator, destryridesagain, 1 invisible), 170 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,016
Posts1,000,879
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Suggest Avoiding ClassicParts Distributors
HFfarms #1410539 Wed May 19 2021 11:23 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I have refrained from posting my comments about this thread but I feel this Vendor Bashing has gone on long enough. You got a bad part from a respected Vendor. I didn’t see anywhere that you had contacted this vendor about a refund or replacement. You didn’t even give them a chance to make it right. Your post suggesting not buying from this particular Vendor because they sell parts made off shore is based on your one experience. Our hobby relies on these Venders to supply us with parts that are no longer made in the USA except for a few specialty manufacturers. The Vendors cannot improve their product line without direct feedback from their customers. Bashing them on internet sites is counterproductive. JMO

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

HFfarms #1410550 Thu May 20 2021 12:28 AM
S
'Bolter
One point on the fuel cap leaking fumes..............the fuel cap is VENTED*. It’s suppose to leak fumes.

* As opposed to a modern cap that is unvented and the tank is vent through the charcoal canister.
Unvented cap on the old truck will create problems:

Like fuel starvation
Might even crush or deform the tank with vacuum as it starves the pump.

HFfarms #1410559 Thu May 20 2021 01:17 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
1. You do not say what year your motor is. ALWAYS provide that info.
2. The part number you gave IS NOT a Classic Trucks part number. Not saying you didn't get it from them.
3. The part is sold by many many many vendors, Ebay, Rockauto, etc. $75.
4. The part is made in China. A Delco reman would be a good idea.
5. Most of us have had good luck with Classic Truck Parts. Classic has two distributors for 292. years 63-70 and 71-74. Many of us do not use Classic Trucks for parts like that. Dizzy's can be purchased everywhere. At a local place where you can walk in a get a refund.
6. They have a no questions asked refund within 30 days. Even though they say electrical parts are excluded, you could have explained it's not an electrical issue and 90% of a distributor is mechanical. But you have past the window so your gripe rights against them are void.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

HFfarms #1410564 Thu May 20 2021 02:43 AM
W
'Bolter
I would contact Classic Parts. They are a good outfit. I think they might work with you on this.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
showkey #1410565 Thu May 20 2021 02:43 AM
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by showkey
One point on the fuel cap leaking fumes..............the fuel cap is VENTED*. It’s suppose to leak fumes.

* As opposed to a modern cap that is unvented and the tank is vent through the charcoal canister.
Unvented cap on the old truck will create problems:

Like fuel starvation
Might even crush or deform the tank with vacuum as it starves the pump.

Have seen the tanks suck in many times due to no vented cap on old rigs.
Also see it on rigs with EVAP canisters that plug with dirt.

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 235 T5 3.73 dana 44
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
G.M dealer tech since 1980 & counting
Justhorsenround #1410603 Thu May 20 2021 12:56 PM
P
AD Addict
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
I have refrained from posting my comments about this thread but I feel this Vendor Bashing has gone on long enough. You got a bad part from a respected Vendor. I didn’t see anywhere that you had contacted this vendor about a refund or replacement. You didn’t even give them a chance to make it right.
I have used Classic Parts and have been satisfied with most parts I have received. I also agree with you that Classic Parts is a quality vender and without feedback it would appear everyone is happy, so why would they change.

Classic Parts appears to provides a spot (I never used it so I don’t know if it works) to give reviews on each item and in most cases, I don’t see any. We are our own worst enemy, when we don’t give negative feedback (or send them back) on parts that don’t fit properly or don’t function as intended. I for one, am guilty of not giving feedback so I have myself to blame for contributing to this issue.

It would be in all of our interest to provide both negative and positive feedback (just like we do for Amazon, eBay etc.), to help these vendors improve the product line, so we don’t have to experience the disappointment of inferior parts. JMHO

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
HFfarms #1410616 Thu May 20 2021 02:27 PM
D
'Bolter
As far a complaints and vendors are concerned I always go right to the source and tell them when I have a problem. If more complain the more the vendors will complain to the factory. Jon, don't you make the "Alternative Condenser". Doc.

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
HFfarms #1410687 Thu May 20 2021 11:44 PM
H
HFfarms Offline OP
'Bolter
Apologies, I in no way meant to bash or trash the name, simply spread that word that distributors from them are not something to go for. I have reached out to classic parts with no reply as of yet and I did leave a review of the specific distributor mentioned but said review has not been populated on the web site for reasons unbeknownst to me. It was not an opinion review, just a factual one, and I don't expect CP to comp anything, I don't really want that, just want them to know the super low quality of the units.

Engine is a '64 and yes, the distributor was/is listed for this application during purchase. Part number is the one offered via CP, but from the box, not the website. CP is the vendor for said part. I went in knowing full well a possible lower quality part (tight budgets, etc), but a mere 5k to total failure could never have been imagined. I'm frustrated in the failure and quality of the product, not the supplier, and the lack of my feedback getting anywhere with the supplier pushed me to want to share.

Again, I did not mean for the thread to come off as such, but I can see where my side comment on rubbers may sound as such. This is more so a comment directed industry wide, across Ag, vehicles, and heavy equipment, seals and rubbers seemed to have tanked as of late, regardless of manufacturer, all from firsthand experience.

Yes I know there are better options out there. Yes most of these have been on the radar for a while. Farm finances govern everything though. Wish in one hand, spit in the other, see which one fills faster. All I wanted to do is caution others from possibly going down this road.

HFfarms #1410947 Sat May 22 2021 09:06 PM
Q
'Bolter
When i decicded to go HEI on my 235, I went to one off the local auto recyclers(aka wrecking yard). Found a car with a 250 in it.yanked the distributor and ingnotion leads from it,took it home made the mods to put it in the 235, made sure the cap was clean and crack free. Dropped it in , set the timing, 6-7 yrs later, no prolems. 50 bucks and my time...original,honest gm parts. If i wanted to go back to points, i have enough of those distributors to make 1 or 2 that will work. I too,am leary of alot of the "new" replacement parts and learned many years ago the value of recyling ussd stuff. Now there are somethings one has to buy new and it takes some research before buying. Also i buy alot of stuff thru anyone of the 3-4 local parts stores and usually can get what i want. Product support,warranty,cores etc are easier deal with locally. Plus the added bonus of building personal connections, i do better with that than someone one the other end of the phone i have never met.
Having read through a lot of post on this site, I see alot of people rely on Amazon, EBay etc for their parts,at times for very good reasons. Lets not forget about the local stores just down the road who can very capably us out. As been said on here before,get to know the best parts guy and he/ she will go the exrta mile. I also dont mind helping them learn something new.
As replacement parts,,,and quality of said replacement parts gets more and more questionable,its up to us to leg out the best choice for us,and figure out a workable alternative. Many on here do that, and its commendable.
Enough of my ramble.

HFfarms #1411088 Sun May 23 2021 10:16 PM
'Bolter
With all due respect, Wouldn't "Suggest Avoiding ClassicParts Distributors", and "I in no way meant to bash or trash the name", be considered in literal contradiction of each other.
I do believe that you don't want to trash a vendor. I am guessing that you were hot under the collar when you started this thread, which is understandable.
Maybe you could change the title to something which better fits your situation with out mentioning a specific vendor by name.
I can find fault with parts from every parts suppliers out there. Parts don't fit, parts don't work, parts too expensive, ETC.
I bring these problems to light in here when I encounter them.
I just prefer not to call them out by name, even though I am tempted. I do steer people towards vendors who do have a good version of a part which other vendors do not carry.
My 2 cents. (Maybe an overcharge.)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop