The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (Bill Trotter, 32vsnake, 1956_GMC_630, carryall jerry, 4 invisible), 185 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,016
Posts1,000,877
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Locating 60-66 Big Bolt Brake Parts
3B #1349707 Thu Mar 12 2020 03:50 PM
H
HFfarms Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by 3B
Hy HFfarms, I am a mechanic, not an engineer and I don't profess to be one. The fact that I have never seen this brake line plumbing system until you showed us your trucks system sets a red flag in my head. Over the years there have been many different things tried in the field of vehicles, some ideas were good and have continued and been refined and improved. The fact that this particular system was/is not in widespread use tells me it was not something that added a benefit to to the more common single application to the brake booster system. As I said previously, if it were my truck I would remove the second output line from the booster back to the master cylinder, plug that port on the booster and run the system with one output from the master cylinder and one output from the brake booster to the braking piping system. As that is the system we are more used to seeing in a single braking system I think it will work fine. It is your truck and you may restore/rebuild it as you see fit, please verify that whatever system you decide on is safe before you venture out onto the road.

I completely agree to a point. The fact that it is factory makes me breathe easy, and the stopping power of the bigger hydro-vac I see as nothing but a good thing. It could be that as a factory upgrade, it came with a price tag that most buyers didn't care for, and thus it is not as common because of it. Much like the quadrasteer silverado's of the early 2000's as an example. Not common, most look at it cross eyed, but it is arguable more bullet-proof than the standard 8.5" ring gear straight axle and allows significant increase in capability. Most just didn't want the $2k price jump for it to be installed, and opted for the standard route instead. Maybe these brakes are of a similar situation. Money is a great motivator.

As an engineer, I can appreciate the system, but I don't fully understand the need for the return. My only though it that it somehow uses a progressive capability that requires more fluid when heavily loaded with more brake pressure, and thus bypasses a variable amount back to the master at lesser loads (less pedal travel). BUT, i do not understand the exact physics of this unit so this is only a hypothesis.

Regardless of it all, I have a new 3 line hydrovac in my shop, and the master is being disassembled and cleaned for inspection and reuse. Should everything check out, its going back in. Should it not, then due to lack of parts, we are going the single line route with the spare unit I have here. Either way, brakes will be 100% before this truck moves again, I can promise anyone that. Ive lost 3 vehicle in my life to brake failures, so I don't mess around with it. Aint no kill like overkill when it comes to brakes.

HFfarms #1349708 Thu Mar 12 2020 03:52 PM
S
'Bolter
The master and likely everything else can be rebuilt by someone like Brake and Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis, https://brakeandequipment.com/ . Call them, do not go online and expect to find the answers for this old stuff. They have all the parts and the expertise to bore, reline and rebuild anything. No, I am not affiliated with them in anyway and I am sure there are other outfits like them scattered all over the country, likely the world. I have not seen them stumped yet. They almost certainly are familiar with this double line thing and have the answer as to what to do with it.

Here is what they say about themselves:

We have been supplying the Upper Midwest with quality auto and truck parts for over 55 years. We started as a brake specialty warehouse and have evolved into a full line automotive warehouse as we continue to meet our customers' needs. Located in the Beltrami neighborhood of Minneapolis, just off of Central Ave and Broadway Ave, we are able to serve Minneapolis and the surrounding area quickly and efficiently.

Our award winning machine shop separates us from the competition by offering custom friction work for hard-to-find classic automotive parts to industrial friction application. We do in-house, plasma cutting, custom brake hose and brake lines, brake shoes rebuilding (bonded/riveted), brake shoe arcing, flywheel grinding and cylinder sleeving for wheel cylinders/master cylinders and calipers and of course drum and rotor turning.

455 HARRISON STREET NE
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55413
TOLL FREE: 1-800-233-4053
TEL: 612-378-3141
M-F: 8:00AM – 5:00PM
SAT: 8:00AM – 12:00PM

Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
HFfarms #1349719 Thu Mar 12 2020 06:43 PM
H
HFfarms Offline OP
'Bolter
I gave them a call sweepleader. After 30 minutes of conversation, they are stumped. I fired over a myriad of photos of the unit and they are going to talk with the machine shop to see if they can possibly rebuild the unit.

The specific part number cross references to a dual piston master for some reason in their books, and this single 1 1/4 master is a ghost to them. But, they are looking to see what's possible. I'll report back with what they find/determine.

I found a replacement as well, but it's NOS, and Lord knows those seals are dry-rotted as heck by now, so even a NOS unit would be in the same boat.

HFfarms #1349730 Thu Mar 12 2020 08:08 PM
S
'Bolter
Wow, that is the first time in about 40 years I have heard of them not saying, "sure, we can fix that." !! Well, your situation must be even more rare than I thought it would be after you said you had found reference to it in the manual.

Do pass on what you find.

I don't know where you are located but you might check around for other places that do serious brake work, maybe someone else in the business is aware of these and how to deal with them.

Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
HFfarms #1349759 Fri Mar 13 2020 02:06 AM
P
'Bolter
Hello HfFarms, might check whitepost restorations in white post va.They should be able to rebuild your master cylinder., Pat66

HFfarms #1349863 Sat Mar 14 2020 05:41 AM
M
'Bolter
There's a truck brake booster rebuilder in St Louis,

http://precisionrebuilders.com/history.html.

I called them years ago and they were very knowledgeable, you might give them a try.

Mike B smile

HFfarms #1410379 Tue May 18 2021 08:49 PM
H
HFfarms Offline OP
'Bolter
Closing the loop on this thread with updated information and new outcomes. Update moved to new thread for cleaner presentation and consolidation of information and more easily searchable title for future reference by others.

New thread -> https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1410378.html#Post1410378

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop