The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (destryridesagain, Bowtie john, Bill Trotter, greenie-reddy, Hambone, 1 invisible), 169 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,016
Posts1,000,878
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What wheel cylinders are these?
#141030 Wed Nov 17 2004 01:52 AM
S
Shop Shark
Tonight I discovered that the new rear axle wheel cylinders I got for my truck (um, 4 years ago...) are ... THE WRONG ONES!!!

The ones I have (that were SUPPOSED to have fit a 2-speed axle out of a '51 6400) are marked as Wagner WC28661 -- anybody tell me what these are?

Thanks,
John

The collective group of dedicated volunteers behind Stovebolt.com
Re: What wheel cylinders are these?
#141031 Wed Nov 17 2004 04:24 AM
G
That's weird. The Wagner # you gave is the same ones used on the GMC I had (Eaton 1350 axle). I just honed them and got cylinder kits from napa.
Man, those hubs are heavy.......... grin

*** GMC ***
#141032 Wed Nov 17 2004 05:21 PM
F
what is the diamater of the cylinder? I noticed that my parts book had two sizes available for that year...

I've got a 52 two speed and have been looking for those wheel cylinders as well...

-Mike R.

#141033 Wed Nov 17 2004 08:36 PM
F
here's what I gleened from my master parts catalog..

for model year 51'

rear wheel cylinders
Utility 1st type, 51-52
rear-front 1.5in diamater with 4 tapped holes
rear-rear 1.5 in diamater with 5 tapped holes

All-one-ton comercial (what my 2 speed has) 46-52
a single 1 3/8 in diamater wheel cylinder for each wheel. casting number 5450072
I couldn't find this part in the Wagner catalog my parts guy has, but I found the 3/4 ton listed had the same casting number but a different part number (not sure why)
there is also a 1.5 inch diamater listed for all utility 36-50 casting number 5300892

so if you can get the diamater of the wheel cylinder and the number of screw holes to mount it, maybe we can figure out what it is supposed to go too, or maybe it's just plain wrong for any stovebolt application. smile either way...

hope this helps...

I'm gonna go pick up what might be the right ones tommorrow (hopefully) and if they are, I'll get teh part number for you too.

-Mike R.

#141034 Thu Nov 18 2004 02:10 AM
G
Oh, parts kits are available from CarQuest as well as NAPA.
Wheel cyls. can be sleeved.......... brakecylinder.com

*** GMC ***
#141035 Mon Nov 22 2004 12:48 AM
S
Shop Shark
Thanks Mike! The mounting holes were close but still not in the right spots to fit the backing plate. The biggest difference I could tell was that they didn't have the holes on the inside so you could connect the two cylinders together with the short line that runs behind the brake shoe mechanism.

Thanks for the other advice, too. But I've never had any luck with trying to do the brake cylinder kit thing. I wasted a lot on money when I did my '39's brakes so I learned a lesson and now when I redo brakes I chuck everything and buy new. As Barry Weeks says, there are two kinds of guys -- Mechanics and Parts Changers. I'm a Parts Changer.

Regards,
John

The collective group of dedicated volunteers behind Stovebolt.com
#141036 Mon Nov 22 2004 04:53 PM
F
sounds like you might have the 1-ton comercial type that was the one cylinder, instead of the 2 cylinder utility type.

what are the casting numbers on those cylinders? I might want to talk to you PM about them if they would work for my project... since they are not the right ones for yours...

-Mike R.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop