The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (3B, DennisM, FAST55, Hotrod Lincoln, 55_2nd_Series, AD3100), 84 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics126,046
Posts1,018,698
Members45,413
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
9ft' bed truck cover
#1410197 Mon May 17 2021 01:09 PM
F
forman Offline OP
'Bolter
Looking to buy a cover for my 9 foot bed model 253 1950 GMC. Any one have any luck finding one?

Re: 9ft' bed truck cover
forman #1410277 Tue May 18 2021 12:53 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Sorry if we've left you hanging ...

Speaking only for myself, as an owner of a '49 1-ton with a 9-foot bed .... I've never actually looked for one, so I can not help. My only guess is that we are such a small segment of the hobby, no one probably makes a bed cover specifically for us (1-ton pickups in the '47 to '54/54 year range). You may have to find someone to custom make one for you. Or get some big dump truck tarp material and make one yourself. Do you have a Plain Community near you? (Amish, Mennonite or Hutterite) There's usually a tarp maker among them.

Maye someone else has a better answer ...?

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

forman #1410286 Tue May 18 2021 01:41 AM
G
A flat cover or one with some height to it?

This recent thread had some good pictures and info of an old (store-bought) canvas top with simple framework that you could duplicate or improve upon.
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1389782/canvas-bed-cover.html

Some of the aftermarket flat roll up aluminum covers are based on rolling hurricane shutters, or so I've been told. If so then perhaps you could adapt one the right size (probably made to order) to your truck even if the aftermarket truck bed versions aren't sold for 9' beds.

I've seen old aluminum truck caps for the AD trucks but not sure I've seen a 9' version, and rarely see them for sale at any length. I've been thinking about making my own one day with aluminum angle for the framework and aluminum sheet riveted to it, similar to airplane and/or airstream camper construction methods. I have a collection of pictures of original ones to guide my own design. One detail I like is a fold down cot frame on each side, making it a real basic/simple camper.

Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #1415714 Sat Jul 03 2021 02:15 AM
V
'Bolter
Grigg, I too have been thinking the exact same thing for my 49 3800. I would like to make basically an aluminum shell similar to the one Steve McQueen had in his. Just not as tall.
Does anyone have any leads on the aluminum toppers or shells made back in the 50s?
I thought about buying one and modifying it for the length of the 9 foot bed.

Moderated by  Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop