The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Bill Marlow, 3B, DennisM, DES57, Fireman30, 1 invisible), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,608
Posts1,005,713
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: $500 paint job - BEFORE
Lugnutz #1410764 Fri May 21 2021 03:16 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
I have an 05 Yukon that needs a visit to that shop. It looks great for $500.00.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
Lugnutz #1412899 Sun Jun 06 2021 09:06 PM
T
'Bolter
I wish there was someplace like that around here.. in this area, you need to hand them $4,000 to get started and they won't touch a car on which they can't match factory paint or there is any rust. It's pretty ridiculous, actually. Body shops here aren't body shops in the traditional sense-they literally won't even work on my '78 Cadillac. Won't even entertain the conversation even when I walk in with an envelope full of $100 bills. They don't want to sand, prep, remove chrome, fix rust. It's too labor intensive, they straight up state that they don't make enough money doing real body work but just want to spray and stick fenders on modern cars for insurance checks.

Two years ago, I walked into a better quality body shop in Issaquah, and I told them I had five grand to spend in painting a straight, rust free '88 VW Cabriolet with no notable dents or body damage. They literally wouldn't even look at the car. Not interested.

So.. home paint booth it is.

Lugnutz #1416638 Sun Jul 11 2021 08:10 PM
F
'Bolter
I just got a quote from a painter who does work on the "side" to paint the cab, hood and grill shell and the trim pieces which are a different color for $2ooo to $3000.All the body work has all ready been done. Sounds like a bargain if it turns out ok

Lugnutz #1418466 Wed Jul 28 2021 04:06 AM
T
'Bolter
Hey Lugnutz, my wife has a 2005 Silver CR-V LX. It only has 90k miles on it, but the paint is in really good shape, despite me making her park it outside. blush

She's had it for over 10 years, the original owner was the hubby of one of her friends, they just babied it, and they moved back to Japan.

I saw your video on YT, they did a great job for the price, IMO, but the orange peel was not very visible on the video which you pointed out.

My '46 is literally painted with Rustoleum, even has the brush marks. Good paint is so overrated... grin

Lugnutz #1420009 Mon Aug 09 2021 10:01 PM
'Bolter
When it comes to body and paint you get what you pay for. I worked for The Earl in the late 80s if my memory serves me right a paint job then was 129.00. that was a paint job only that consisted of a once over with 220 grit quick mask and paint no hardners in paint , no sealer coat and 2 coats of paint done, So people who brought in cars with damage and did not want to pay to get it fixed were usually not happy. A paint job is only as good as the prep work under it. We had some customers who would do their own body work, strip car of all chrome , glass, lights, and any other parts that would have required masking so masking was minimal.. they would up grade and get sealer coat and add the hardners to paint I saw some very nice jobs go out of there for around 400. The last one I painted in my shop was a mustang materials ran over 500. for a base clear in 2012. There is a lot of good information to help you on line. Good luck with your truck. Aaron

Lugnutz #1420035 Tue Aug 10 2021 12:46 AM
H
'Bolter
Back in the late 1970's I interviewed for a manager's job at a local discount paint shop similar to Earl Scheib called "Color-Glow" in Merced California. At the time, they were advertising an all-over paint job on any car for $125.00. The trick to keeping the price low was minimal surface prep- - - - -no primer, just a quick scrub-down with a Scotch-Brite pad and household ammonia and a thorough pressure wash, then spray a thin coat of alkyd enamel. They offered about 10 basic colors- - - -none of which matched any factory color chart! On a really good day, the job they did might last 6 months or so before it started to flake and peel! No, I didn't take the job, partly because of the low salary offer, but mostly because of the poor quality job they were selling.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Lugnutz #1420858 Mon Aug 16 2021 10:39 PM
H
'Bolter
Back in the early 90's, I fixed up a 1975 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 truck. I took it to Maaco after doing all the prep work myself. It wasn't a cheap price but it surely looked like a cheap, quick spray job instead of a paint job. To top it off, they started screwing around under the hood. I had just installed a new battery, the engine was freshly rebuilt, and the carb was working good. However, the fools in that shop managed to flood the engine and continue turning it over until they drained a brand new heavy duty battery. They told me this over the phone when I called them and I knew that my truck was in the wrong shop. I told them do not touch it anymore. When I got there and opened the hood, there were 2 screw drivers sticking out of the top of the 4 barrel carb and the stock air filter was no where in sight. I grabbed the screw drivers and threw them across the shop as I began cussing out everyone in sight. I pulled the dip stick and it smelled like gas and I was fuming to the point of hurting someone. They payed for an oil change and I told them they might be buying an engine after washing my rings with gasoline. I was going ballistic to the point that people working there were getting in their vehicles and leaving. Watch out when you leave a vehicle with someone.

Jim

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h397/justjayne21/

50 Chevy 3100
77 International Scout ll
Lugnutz #1420859 Mon Aug 16 2021 10:45 PM
H
'Bolter
I payed dearly to have my nice black paint job on my 50 Chevy 3100. (It's in the gallery) It has stayed together and still looks great after 5 years. It should since it cost very close to $10,000. I might pay severely one more time when I find a GTO like I'm looking for (69 or 70). Hopefully I'll find one with a good paint job !

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h397/justjayne21/

50 Chevy 3100
77 International Scout ll
Lugnutz #1420861 Mon Aug 16 2021 11:09 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
'Bolter
I gotta say my $460 was well spent. Nothing bad is happening, and it’s been 11 weeks since the CRV was painted. It stays outside in the SC heat too.
Looks great.

Lugnutz #1420886 Tue Aug 17 2021 02:16 AM
R
'Bolter
Just tossing another option out there. North of Boston the local tech High School has adult autobody night school. The class is $300 for 10 4hr sessions not including materials, a lot of the guys sign up for both the Tues and Thursday night classes. In General it's just open shop night if you have a question the instructors are there to answer them. Most of the folks who go drive their project cars to the shop and work on them, or as I did bring in one fender at a time. The school I went to a few years ago has two paint booths available, The instructors will help mix the paint and show you how to spray it. It was always a good idea to bring your own tools, and get there early to grab a working mig welder. Many years ago late 90s my wife dropped off an old car there and had the students do it... six weeks later we got the car back with a decent paint job and a few missing grill clips, but the kids have to learn somewhere. After going thru a tech school auto body program down in Maryland my 21 year old niece is head painter at a dealership. I'm considering flying her up to Boston to paint my truck when it is ready.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop