The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Justhorsenround, Bwana-Jim, homer52, 51sub, dgrinnan, 1 invisible), 237 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,401
Posts995,891
Members44,655
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What does Phishing mean.
#1408515 Tue May 04 2021 12:37 AM
W
'Bolter
And how much harm can they do. I got a video from Sister in law and I go a warning so I deleted it. So I went on to FB and she had posted that she has been hacked.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: What does Phishing mean.
WE b OLD #1408519 Tue May 04 2021 01:14 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
You did good. If you even open some e-mails, it can infect your computer. Things from hijacking your computer to e-mail similar things to people on your address list to locking your computer till you pay a ransom.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
WE b OLD #1408561 Tue May 04 2021 10:25 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Kevin/Ron -- Good info on phishing and spear phishing [digitalguardian.com]

And if you want to throw in whaling ... [crowdstrike.com] As a celebrity dot com developer myself, I am subject to a lot of whaling attacks ... wave

I'm sure Paul has better ones.

Ron -- A big fear of mine was letting my mom loose on the Internet by herself. She did get the call from the "Bailbondsman" trying to get her grandson out of a jail in South Carolina ... if he hadn't actually been in the room with her at the time, who knows what she might have done ...

But seriously ... you already mentioned the biggest threat you face -- all that info you have about yourself on FB. I've never done FB and never will (my life is of little interest to my own family, let alone to anyone else smile ). I stopped using LinkedIn and Together we Served as soon as I figured out how useless those platforms are and how much personal information they make available to scammers willing to mine the data and put it together.

Its a big part ... the main reason, actually ... that Stovebolt.com does not require real names and doesn't collect information about our users. We have a nationally recognized cyber security expert who volunteers a LOT of time keeping us straight and secure but we still don't treat any info we do have lightly. Any info we ask for is merely to ensure new registrants aren't bots or other malware seeking to do us harm.

The Internet is still a wild and woolly place. There *are* a LOT of advantages to that freedom, though, that make the risk worth taking, albeit with adequate precautions and education. It's one of the last "free" places left and we certainly don't want Big Brother stepping in to regulate, tax and enforce. New York was once the Frontier ... now look at it eeeek

*EVERYONE* needs to understand what the threats are -- even to casual internet users -- and take precautions necessary to keeping yourself safe from cyber attack. I won't presume to lecture on what those precautions are -- you need to do your own homework on this and take it seriously. There are bad people out there who are trying to take everything you have.

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

WE b OLD #1408568 Tue May 04 2021 11:36 AM
W
'Bolter
I hate to admit it but I fell for the locked computer maybe 5 years ago. It was a brand new computer so I sent it back. But I did pay a relatively small amount. I knew the word and knew it was not good. I have a number of security precautions on all my devices. Thanks.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
WE b OLD #1408590 Tue May 04 2021 02:32 PM
P
AD Addict
Phishing is basically “fishing” for information.They pose as a legitimate institution to lure individuals into providing sensitive data such as personally identifiable information, banking and credit card details, and passwords.

One example is when you get an email/text or message from your bank, stating your account has been compromised and to “click here” or “Call this Number” to fix it.

I’ve gotten them from Microsoft, Apple, BestBuy and allot of other big named companies. They use company logos, letter heads and look official.

The key is to never and I repeat never click on anything that says “Click Here” or “Call This Number”.

If I get anything that looks suspicious, I’ll go to that website and sign in normally or go thru the normal app to check and never thru an email/text or message.

If your not tech savvy, just use the telephone to call to verify.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
WE b OLD #1408653 Tue May 04 2021 09:51 PM
W
'Bolter
thumbs_up

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop