The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (fonz8261, Donf, 1955first6500, 3B, 55shaker, 2 invisible), 250 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,401
Posts995,890
Members44,655
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Helicopter Rides are Expensive
idaho39 #1407668 Tue Apr 27 2021 03:10 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Kevin -- That must have been an Army Huey ... wink If you've ever ridden in a *proper* Huey (with two engines), you'd feel much differently. Never did get up in the UH-1Y before I retired (4 blades, two GE-T700's smile ) but I hear they are nice. I did go in a EH-101 once when we were considering the platform for the next Presidential helo ... man, was THAT nice! Beautiful ride. Hardly any vibration. For a guy who "grew up" in '46's and '53's, I found it amazing that a rotary winged aircraft could be that smooth.

Simple facts -- big helicopters with many blades ride smoother than little ones with fewer blades. But the more blades, the smoother the ride. Which is why those power line guys like the OH-6/Hughes 500 so much. Great little bird.

The H-60, on the other hand, is just so darned UGLY that the Earth tries really, really hard to repel it -- hence the smooth ride in that thing. Mother Earth is hoping you will enjoy the ride so much you won't bring it back to her.

Going back to the OP -- vertical lift platforms are very expensive to own, operate and maintain. For the largest, most successful helicopter on God's Green Earth (the mighty Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion), we figured total operating costs to be approximately $20,000/flight hour -- figured mostly on fuel and maintenance. Most helicopters have a high Maintenance manhour per flight hour figure. The '53's were at least 10, if I remember correctly. The rule of thumb was always "if it's running good and everything is working ... don't shut it down." If you shut it down... get out the wrenches. Somewhere I have a great shot of a '53 main rotor head under maintenance. I should show you -- it'll scare the daylights out of you. But those figures did not include personnel costs (flight crew, maintainers, etc) so if you add those costs it, as well, the numbers cited in the OP post are not far off from actual costs. Add 10-15 percent for a reasonable profit and there you are.

I'm not a skid guy. I just played one on TV.

smile

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

idaho39 #1407680 Tue Apr 27 2021 05:41 PM
W
'Bolter
I told a friend that I always wanted to fly. He told me if I really did I would have. He took lessons but his wife made him stop. ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
idaho39 #1407685 Tue Apr 27 2021 06:15 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
John, all three ships you have mentioned, I have been under. The "Huey" a 2 blade, single engine deal. The Sikorsky was a sky crane. Both of them had a heck of a rotor wash. Never did get any pics of the Sikorsky.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/morongo1.jpg

The little Bell we'd use for pulling rope. About 5 miles worth.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/valley22.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/valley23.jpg

The Huey was a contractor for personnel movement to remote locations and for loads. The way I was told, the Indian reservation, at the last minute, wanted more money to go across their land. So we said no thanks and went up, around, and down. We were also the earliest in the country (from what they told me) to use helicopters to construct towers.

Tailboards were funny.

"If you hear the horn honk, that means I'm out of fuel and have to drop the load. So get out of the way."

"Um, no! We're strapped to a tower 100' up in the air. We have no where to go. Why don't you just make sure you have enough fuel to hang the load there until we secure it!"

"Yeah, that makes sense."

Gratuitous Mack shot: http://www.bunchobikes.com/valley49.jpg

Gratuitous wrecked Mack shot: http://www.bunchobikes.com/valley28.jpg

And just to bring it all the way back around, yes, I'm sure those helicopters were extremely expensive. But, sometimes necessary!

coilover #1407691 Tue Apr 27 2021 06:37 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by coilover
If it flies, floats, or even has a back seat; I barf. Something to do with almost no fluid in my inner ear. When my friend got an air boat his first order was I would NEVER ride in it since the driver sits back by the fan and everything goes that way.
grin
But sorry you get motion sickness. frown Riding vs driving does make a difference. Driving gives you something to do. Fortunately, I've never had an issue, although I did get slightly green on one boat ride years ago when the seas were really rough. I knew a guy who started puking as soon as the boat rounded the harbor breakwater and didn't stop till we got back inside it.

Originally Posted by John Milliman
Kevin -- That must have been an Army Huey ... wink
Yep, it was. That was why I never got back in one. wink

Last edited by klhansen; Tue Apr 27 2021 06:42 PM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
idaho39 #1407705 Tue Apr 27 2021 08:50 PM
W
'Bolter
I always wanted to ride in the Cayuse. Never got to even though D co. was a helicopter company.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
idaho39 #1407880 Thu Apr 29 2021 03:22 AM
'Bolter
A helicopter is an assembly of many parts, none of which have an affinity to remain an assembly of parts.
No thank you. I'm busy that week.

52Carl #1407889 Thu Apr 29 2021 12:23 PM
W
back yard wrench turner
Originally Posted by 52Carl
A helicopter is an assembly of many parts, none of which have an affinity to remain an assembly of parts.
No thank you. I'm busy that week.

I was told by a helicopter mechanic it was 10,000 parts all trying to get far away from each other.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
-30-Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
idaho39 #1407905 Thu Apr 29 2021 03:03 PM
Leo Online
'Bolter
...and all these parts are supplied by the lowest bidder.

idaho39 #1407923 Thu Apr 29 2021 06:26 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Back in '97 there was a recon mission to recover a downed fighter jet that went down in Death Valley. Our little airport was tasked with supplying the fuel for the Chinook. I didn't know those egg-beaters could taxi. They would land at the main runway, taxi in to the old abandoned runway, we'd fill it with our truck, completely draining the truck, and providing enough fuel for the crew to go back out and come back in. Meanwhile we had the fuel supplier on constant delivery status. Every two hours a fuel delivery would arrive, then the Chinook would come flying over the mountains. We'd fill it up, and off they went, and in came another fuel delivery. It was a fun couple days, but it was a logistics nightmare. Luckily everything went smoothly.

Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
idaho39 #1407945 Thu Apr 29 2021 08:56 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Wait? Did somebody ask how that Mack got wrecked?

http://www.bunchobikes.com/lineman7.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/lineman6.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/lineman5.jpg

Yeah, I know no one did. But I like sharing pics.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop