The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (destryridesagain, dgrinnan, 78buckshot, DES57, 3800GUY, 1 invisible), 113 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,653
Posts1,006,149
Members44,993
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sporting Clays
John Milliman #1407277 Sat Apr 24 2021 12:05 PM
Tiny Offline OP
Ex Hall Monitor
Originally Posted by John Milliman
What's the difference between "trap shooting," "Skeet shooting," "sporting clays" and whatever else?
Trap and Skeet shoot a fixed pattern, either crossing or going away from you. Sporting clays tries to mimic real life shooting by having different stations with launchers set to throw/roll the targets from a wide range of presentations. When I was first learning about sporting clays I remember one station at a shooting club about 50 miles north of here. That station threw two targets with the second thrown on report. The first target was a roller that went from right to left about 15 yards out. On report (when you fire at the first target) the second would come over your right shoulder, straight away from you, at about a million miles an hour. I was pretty good at hitting the roller but I couldn't hit the second with a howitzer. Trap/Skeet/Sporting [fieldandstream.com]

Last edited by Tiny; Sat Apr 24 2021 12:13 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #1407278 Sat Apr 24 2021 12:09 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Thanks for the clarification, John and Tiny.

Apparently, over the years, I have shot a lot of Trap with some skeet thrown in when possible. Sporting Clays sounds fun. My only shotgun is 12 ga. An afternoon of trap shooting is fun, but not the next day ... frown

Tiny -- If you do a lot of it, are you usually shooting something other than a 12 ga?

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Tiny #1407279 Sat Apr 24 2021 12:16 PM
Tiny Offline OP
Ex Hall Monitor
You can get different loads from break your shoulder to old man sissy loads. These days I prefer about two thirds toward old man loads. It a bit harder to hit the targets going away but I don't shoot to get a high score anyway. To answer your question I shoot a Mossberg over & under 12 gauge. With covid I've not been shooting in a while. I need to go make some noise.

Last edited by Tiny; Sat Apr 24 2021 12:25 PM.

Tiny #1407284 Sat Apr 24 2021 12:46 PM
R
'Bolter
I'm hoarding my ammo for my shotguns and rifles. All the stores/shops that sell ammo in our area are devoid of product. Are you folks experiencing the same?

Rick

Tiny #1407287 Sat Apr 24 2021 01:01 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I've never tried shooting an O&U. They've always seemed like classy guns to me, though.

Mine is an older Winchester Model 12. Dad gave it to me when I was 12. After a while, it's like having a pile driver on your shoulder ... Maybe I should check my loads ... I usually shoot skeet with regular bird shot and hunting loads ....

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Tiny #1407288 Sat Apr 24 2021 01:14 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
For training purposes we went to Low Recoil shot shells many years ago. About 10 years ago we experimented with lower recoil slugs. When you shoot all day the lower recoil rounds make coming back the next day and doing it again not nearly as unpleasant as it could be. Full power loads are used on duty and are checked regularly to assure that low recoil haven’t “accidentally” snuck in. My late friend was a champion Trap Shooter (RIP Brooks Eoff) along with his friend Gene Sears.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

John Milliman #1407308 Sat Apr 24 2021 04:50 PM
Tiny Offline OP
Ex Hall Monitor
Originally Posted by John Milliman
I've never tried shooting an O&U. They've always seemed like classy guns to me, though.
The Mossberg Silver Reserve is an entry level gun. It's affordable compared to the expensive guns but a good gun for the money. It works for me.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/mossberg-international-silver-reserve-ii-field-over-under-shotgun

Tiny #1407315 Sat Apr 24 2021 05:32 PM
'Bolter
Rick
Ammo is very thin around mid Missouri also.
Was in our local Walmart this week and all they had was a few boxes of 12 gauge and some 22’s.
Sold out of rifle ammo also.
Prices, when you can find ammo, is sky high also.

On a side note, my wife worked at Walmart for over 35 years and retired last fall.
Employees get a 10% discount on everything except food and alcohol.
For Christmas, if she worked Thanksgiving day and Black Friday, they would add another 15% on top of her 10% for one ticket with however many items you put on that one ticket.
We would stock up on everything and I would always buy a long gun and ammo. We have several guns that have never been fired, including a Henry 44.
We also have plenty of ammo for how little we shoot.

Don

Last edited by 2-Ton; Sat Apr 24 2021 05:34 PM.

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Tiny #1407318 Sat Apr 24 2021 06:01 PM
J
Workshop Owner
I bought a 12 gauge Ithaca over and under new when I was 18. I used to hunt pheasant and quail quite a bit so I have others, pumps, singles and a bolt action. Haven't looked at them for so long I'm afraid to see if they're rusty.

Yes, ammunition is very high, has been for quite awhile.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

Tiny #1407324 Sat Apr 24 2021 07:29 PM
W
'Bolter
I had a Remington model 12 for years that I learn to shoot with back in the early 50s. It had been my father's so when he died I took it home and put it away in a closet. I would take it out and clean it from time to time. I had it for about 15 years. I thought my brother might want it and ask him and he said yes so I took it to a Christmas get to together and gave it to him. I had bought a gun case to transport it and also one of those sleeves that goes on the stock for ammo. And I still had one extra shell so I handed it over also. My brother immediately handed it to his brother-in-law. I asked why he said Jim would check it over and clean it. The kicker is Jim still has it 5 years later. dang ohwell And the saga continues.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop