The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 members (55shaker, 3B, Bob Kirk, Britcon, DennisM, 1 invisible), 120 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,653
Posts1,006,151
Members44,993
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ployester vs radial tires?
fred c #1405412 Fri Apr 09 2021 11:36 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Yet another opinion ... smile

Fred, I am running (new) bias ply tires on my truck. I have made a few upgrades (rear axle gearing, engine upgrade to a 261) that now allow me to cruise comfortably at 60-65 with dashes to 70 comfortable, as well. Thanks to Sweet and others, my steering has been adjusted to specs (adjustment to alignment as well as the steering box). I find that the truck steers just fine.

I have *not* replaced my tie rod ends. My truck has less the 65k miles on it, and steers just fine with everything else adjusted properly so I'm kicking *that* can down the road a little further ... smile.

Radials obviously and without debate give you a better ride and steering. But, with all other things being equal (i.e., a few adjustments and tweaks), bias plys can do an adequate job. Depends on your driving habits and how much you plan to drive the truck.

Don't get me wrong here -- If I could keep my stock appearing wheels (and hubcaps) without spending ginormous amounts of cash on wheel mods, I would be running radials today. But I can't afford the mods to make the 17-inch wheels work for my truck, so I am stuck with the bias plys. And I find they work pretty good. Not as great as radials, but not too bad. They remind me to keep it under 70. smile

I would think/hope you would want to make sure your steering/alignment is all up to spec anyway wink. And while we're at it, don't forget to throw some love at your brakes. Have you installed some seatbelts yet? If we're talking driving on modern roads here at modern speeds (or there abouts ...), let's be sure we're safe smile

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

fred c #1405464 Sat Apr 10 2021 02:07 PM
J
'Bolter
Take a quick look at the front springs where they mount to the axle, does it have CASTER wedges and are they pointing the right direction? The wedge should have the thicker end towards the rear of the truck. With out the proper caster, your truck will be all over the road. How does the steering wheel return after making a turn?

fred c #1405498 Sat Apr 10 2021 06:07 PM
R
'Bolter
I had bias ply tires on my 39 3/4 ton stake truck for 30+ years, replaced twice with new bias ply. Two years ago I switched to radial. I knew the difference in handling just backing out of the barn. Steering wheel turns a lot easier at a stand still too. The radials have a bias ply look to them.

Rick

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop