The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Whatcha doing now?
What did you get done on your Bolt today? - 2021 and later
The original thread is still in tact and we have 14 pages already for this time frame. A "mini-Project Journal" if you will.

Stovebolt driving report
Started by Cletis in 2012 - 36 pages and going strong!

Who uses their truck as a truck - 2021 and later

Re-started this thread. Three pages and counting.

Bolters in the Side Lot
are planning get togethers and what not. See who's near you.

Stay busy; keep warm!
Share your enthusiam.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (DennisM, Joe Q, Gdads51, HFfarms, 2ManyTrucks, 1 invisible), 233 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,331
Posts1,054,143
Members46,614
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Gib70 Offline OP
'Bolter
A number of company's offer complete bolt kits for all of the metal on the body of our 47 - 53 Chevy 3100s. One would think therefore, that the specs (size bolt, thread count, etc) for each bolt should be well known. I want to use stainless steel, shiny, button head torx bolts, everywhere that is practical to do so. I cannot find anyone selling complete kits of that variety. Since I do not think I can buy a complete kit of this style, does anyone know where I can find the specs for each bolt. The assembly manual does not contain bolt definitions in a language that I can understand. Any wisdom for me on this topic? Thanks.

1952 Chevy 3100
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
It might be possible to glean the info from the Factory Assembly Manual, which has part numbers for the nuts and bolts shown. I've looked at a few, but unfortunately, the bolt PN's aren't the same as shown on the Master Parts List - Standard Parts pages. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com] But the nuts cross over, so thread size and pitch are available. But it would be a big task.

Maybe someone who has bought a hardware set from one of the vendors could volunteer to share the bolt info (head type, size, thread pitch, and length) with us. [HINT, HINT]

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
B
Sir Searchalot
The only way to do it is to make a list of your own. Thread size and pitch for nuts. Thread size and pitch for bolts as well as length. The length is calculated by the stack up/depth. Washers are just what's needed by using the bolt/nut list. The master list will of course have quantities. A few trips to the hardware store will be necessary as well as calipers and thread gauge. Alternate method is using known bolts and nuts to try in each place to obtain thread size and pitch. They are not that many different sizes and they are all SAE American.
There is no list. As Kevin says part numbers are no good anymore. FAM can give some clues. Many others have asked this question about all the Stovebolt years. Same answer.
SS can really be a real headache if threads not treated before assembly. Also you are talking a huge expense. There are many places you wouldn't or couldn't use torx head. Torx drive are for "screws" not really larger bolts that need torque.
A SS Torx screw 1/4-20 x 1/2 LG is $9.90. Plus tax plus ship. Source: McMater Carr. If you need two, it's $19.80 plus tax plus ship. dang cry

Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Bartamos is correct about both cost (although his $9.90 cost is for 25 screws - for comparison 1/4-20 x 1/2 hex head grade 5 steel are ~$10 per 100) and the possibility of threads galling on stainless steel. Stainless steel is really not necessary, although the button head torx screws would look good on fender to bed bolts. There are plated steel button head phillips screws that would look just a good there.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
B
Sir Searchalot
I picked the high strength which is $9.90 each. But you would not choose that. I should have picked the 18-8.

G
Gib70 Offline OP
'Bolter
This is the kind of wisdom and experience I needed... thank you all for sharing your experiences.

1952 Chevy 3100
K
'Bolter
Gib70, check your PM.

Mike

1951 3100 5 window
G
Insomniac
I used stainless steel, shiny, button head torx socket head bolts in a number of places. The socket head bolts use a Allen key instead of a torx screw driver. I think you will find these more common and cheaper.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop