The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (BobShingledecker, Charles in CA, 1955first6500, 55 SHAKER, 55_2nd_Series, bolter5410, 1 invisible), 153 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,591
Posts988,997
Members44,491
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1958 Chevrolet Apache
#1405012 Tue Apr 06 2021 06:02 PM
G
'Bolter
Hello All,

I have owned this truck since 2006 when I purchased from a rancher in western Nebraska. All of the continuous improvements and work listed below were done during my ownership of the truck. It has even been used as the getaway vehicle at my wedding. My family has grown and I am running out of time, funds, and space to continue the project; so hoping to find someone who is excited to drive the truck for their local hamburger/hardware store trips and/or continue the restoration. I mention hardware trips because I don’t know of many trucks that can fit a full 4’x8’ sheet of plywood or drywall flat in the bed, and be able to shut the tailgate! (I put down carpet over the glossy wood bed to protect it). For those in the Kansas City area, you will notice by the VIN# that the truck was built at the Kansas City Assembly plant, which I think is a neat part of this truck's story.

I have upgraded, fixed, or replaced, nearly every system or part on the truck. I’ve been a member of Stovebolt since 2010 and learned a lot from the forums here, so thank you for all the information you all have compiled. Below is a short list of items that have been completed, a link to an album of current photos, and a link to a more detailed description. I have kept detailed records, receipts, and photos; so if there is anything you are curious about please contact me.

Thanks,
Garrett Frederick
Email: garrettjfrederick@gmail.com
Phone: 308-430-4492

HIGHLIGHTS:

-1958 Chevrolet Apache 3204
-Asking $10,750 USD

-VIN: 3B58K111688
-235.5 cubic inch Thriftmaster, 6 cyl.
-SM420; Synchro 4 Speed
-58.9 Miles Shown, TMU
-Title Status: Clear Kansas Title
-Full Electrical Rewire with American Autowire Classic Update Kit
-Front Disc Brakes & Dual Master Cylinder
-New St. Louis Leaf Springs & Shock Absorbers
-New & Upgraded Steering Components
-New Charcoal Vinyl Upholstery and Charcoal Carpet
-Matte Black with Gloss White Cab Accents
-Complete Rebuild of Wood Truck Bed and New Hardware
-LED Tail Lights

Photo Album Link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nQ8R1gr6tH9f3NcA7
Detailed Description: See Attached PDF

Attached Files
Front Driver.jpg (267.56 KB, 335 downloads)
Front Passenger.jpg (232.8 KB, 342 downloads)
Truck Bed.jpg (191.37 KB, 333 downloads)
Interior.jpg (147.14 KB, 322 downloads)
1958 Chevrolet Apache.pdf (90.79 KB, 17 downloads)

-Garrett
Re: 1958 Chevrolet Apache
GarrettFrederick #1405061 Wed Apr 07 2021 01:00 AM
K
'Bolter
Beautiful truck, nice job ,
I wish I had extra money to buy
Good luck selling

keithfielder #1405070 Wed Apr 07 2021 01:43 AM
G
'Bolter
Thank you! It's been a lot of fun. Appreciate the encouragement.
Please reach out further if you have any questions.

-Garrett
GarrettFrederick #1405078 Wed Apr 07 2021 02:56 AM
J
Workshop Owner
Nice truck at a fair price.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

J Lucas #1405106 Wed Apr 07 2021 01:40 PM
G
'Bolter
Thanks John!

-Garrett
GarrettFrederick #1405107 Wed Apr 07 2021 01:40 PM
P
AD Addict
Really nice truck and I agree with John, reasonably priced. Good Luck with you sale!

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Phak1 #1405108 Wed Apr 07 2021 01:44 PM
G
'Bolter
Thanks Phil! Please reach out further if you have any questions.

-Garrett
GarrettFrederick #1406284 Fri Apr 16 2021 03:32 AM
J
Moderated
How bad is the rust? do the doors need to be replaced? Rust can add up fast. You are very detailed in your discription well done.

jason brown
GarrettFrederick #1406311 Fri Apr 16 2021 02:51 PM
G
'Bolter
Hi Jason,

Thanks for inquiring. Not sure how much detail you are looking for, but will try to answer your question with the most specificity and least amount of opinion relate to this topic. Your question (how bad is the rust) might get many different answers without a known scale/standard. This truck is a great cruiser as-is with all the updates and upgrades listed, so a great jumping off point for someone wanting to drive and enjoy the truck immediately, but could do a little body work at a time if they desired. If someone were wanting to do body work, I would suggest to do repairs one panel at a time and keep driving it, versus tearing it all apart at once. I always felt like driving the truck kept me motivated to keep upgrading/updating versus a garage full of scattered parts that can’t hit the streets. I personally have really enjoyed the ability to take it out and drive it without constantly worrying about if I was going to accidently scratch it, but again everyone has their own vision for the project. So, in a lot of ways, it really heavily depends on your end goal (SEMA show truck, driver, etc.) I will also preface this with the fact that I’m not a body repair expert by any means, so hoping some other bolters can jump in with their experience and provide some additional insight for you as well!

To start off, wanted to mention there is a link to a photo album in the listing, where you can really zoom in on the truck and get a better idea of any damage. If there is a specific area that you’d like me to get a better photo of for you, I can work to get that for you. Looks like you are in FL, so another idea in addition to photos, is to ask a few other local Bolters to look at the truck in person and give their perspective to you as well.

Okay here it goes: All of the rust is cosmetic, not structural, and in very common areas for this era of truck. There is no structural rust or damage to the frame or other components, and I do not think the doors would need replaced. Both doors are just dented, so driver door I’m confident that it would not need replaced. Passenger door, I’m not as certain, it’s dented but hard for me to answer how repairable that dent along the door/fender is. The body is obviously dented (it was used as a truck!) but I think many of the dents could be pounded out and repaired.
Here are some more specifics on where rust is located.

Cab Corners L & R: Very common these trucks. Patch panels are readily available.
Inside Step L & R: Very common on these trucks. Patch panels are readily available.
Driver Rear Fender: On the front half where the step meets the fender, you can see some rust in the photos.
Driver Front Fender: Damage/rust on rear half as shown in photos.
Passenger Front Fender: Damage/rust on rear half as shown in photos. Some around headlamp as shown in photos. Some where the fender meets the hood near the hood hinge area.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Garrett

Moderated by  John Milliman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop