The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (JW51, D B Cooper, Hambone, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,917
Posts1,000,027
Members44,782
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
59 apache
#1404829 Mon Apr 05 2021 03:57 AM
J
j744 Offline OP
Moderated
I was looking at restoring a 59 Apache. Is it cheaper to or comparable to frame off and put newer suspension parts, motor... to make it more modern and reliable or should i do the S10 frame swap and build it from that approach with older but still newer parts. I'm not looking for show quality but a nice driver that I can be proud of.

Is it harder to frame off and put new parts on it? I'm not looking to custom fit most parts. I'm thinking they have some after market suspension part along with other things i will need. I would like any and all advise to starting a possible adventure. I do have automotive knowledge but just not to this extent.

Jason Brown

jason brown
Re: 59 apache
j744 #1404846 Mon Apr 05 2021 12:29 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Jason,
First, Welcome to the "BOLT", there are a bunch of great folks here to help you along with your project. Be sure to check in on the Southern Stovebolters Forum, there are quite a few guys in Florida.

Second, I don't believe I would peruse the S10 under your 59", the Task Force trucks are wider and require a larger chassis, a 73' and up 1/2 ton would be a better choice. The parts are available everywhere and they came with most of the upgrades you would want to do, IFS, power steering, disc brakes and so on.
Personally I decided to stay with the original frame, parts are available to upgrade the suspension or modify the stock axel. I just couldn't bring myself to cut the frame so I choose to stay with a straight axel. Power steering and disc brakes can be added easily. Most modifications should only take a few days and allow you to enjoy your truck while you work on it.

Just a note on going into a complete teardown, "DO YOUR HOMEWORK". I can't stress that enough, I didn't and have had to live with the lessons learned the hard way, I have lost out on a lot of time being able to enjoy the old truck. Just my thoughts. In the end it is your truck and it should be built as you like, it's a great adventure.

Last edited by TUTS 59; Mon Apr 05 2021 12:30 PM.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
j744 #1404848 Mon Apr 05 2021 01:09 PM
W
back yard wrench turner
Welcome Jason. It's good to have another Florida 'Bolter in the group.
What area of Florida are you in?
Your project idea sounds interesting. I don't have knowledge about frame swaps but did a frame off restoration to my '38.
I agree with Craig, do your homework and determine which direction to go before tearing anything apart.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
-30-Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
j744 #1404865 Mon Apr 05 2021 03:45 PM
M
'Bolter
Welcome to the Stovebolt wave

Your stock frame is already set up for a V8 and if you replace all of the suspension parts with new you'll have a nice driver. If you're looking for a road racer and need Corvette type handling then you might want to get a custom made chassis that your sheet metal will bolt right onto.

My '56 has a stock frame and I-beam axle and does just fine. Upgraded to a SBC 350 V8 with 4-speed and a Camaro/Trans Am posi rear, front disc brakes, power steering and AC.

I'd recommend you get the truck running and driving first and see if it meets your needs before jumping into a major rebuild. There are tons of half completed projects where the builder lost interest before getting it done. It takes way more time and money than you may think to build a truck...make a budget and then triple it and you might be close.

Don't forget to post pictures!

Mike B smile

j744 #1404993 Tue Apr 06 2021 04:12 PM
J
j744 Offline OP
Moderated
Thanks to all. I'm a rookie on the forum. And appreciate all advice.
If I'm able to work with the same frame and add on to it with new suspension parts and some upgrades for comfort and reliability. Does anyone know where to buy a 59 apache. Sold frame small amount of rust. Don't need motor.

jason brown
j744 #1404994 Tue Apr 06 2021 04:17 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Asking for trucks/parts in the garage forums is against our site guidelines. Read the Sticky thread (Why posts are......) at the top of this forum for our published guidelines. Post in our Trucks Wanted section of the Swap Meet Forum for best results.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

j744 #1405031 Tue Apr 06 2021 09:47 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
Let's back up here. Do you have a 59 truck? If so, what is wrong with the frame.

Secondly, I've owned lots of TF trucks (55-59). The advice is right on, keep the frame and "restore" it and update it. All is available and has been done by many, many members. One thing that has not been mentioned is that there is a large list of headache issues regarding mating a S10 or other frame to the existing body. I.E. body mounts, brake/ebrake and gas pedal linkage/system, donor frame shape, wheel base and width, stance, shift linkage. Fender, radiator, bumper and bed mounting. Steering box/shaft/column fit. Motor and trans mounts and location to fit body. Frame width vs body width. Tire rub..........destroying value of the 59, more costly to complete, as so on.......

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

j744 #1405046 Wed Apr 07 2021 12:01 AM
J
Workshop Owner
Welcome Jason,

Unless you have a good permanent workspace that you can afford to tie up for a very long time, my advice would be to keep the original frame.

If you're looking to buy a truck or parts, post your request's in the parts wanted or trucks wanted forums. Craigslist, ebay, farm sales etc are also very good places to look for project and or donor vehicles.

Lot's of us really like the 58-59 Task Force truck models, and we all have our different thoughts on how we want our trucks done, so you've found the best website.

We're all here to help. The more the merrier and that means more knowledge to share.

Consider yourself home.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

j744 #1405600 Sun Apr 11 2021 04:52 PM
J
'Bolter
The stock frame works for most upgrades. It works with small block or big block V8s, power disc brakes and a range of rear ends. My 1959 that I bought in 1976 underwent a full frame-off restoration in 2004. Here is a link to that project: https://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/karras_jim_1959.htm and my webpage on the project: https://59apache.com/.

I wish you all the best as you dive into your '59. Have fun with your project and keep us all posted as to your progress!

Jim Karras
Orange, CA
'59 Chevy Apache 32 Stepside Pickup
E-mail: Jim@59apache.com
Internet: www.59apache.com

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop