The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (1955first6500, 32vsnake, BobShingledecker, Eureka Jim, 2 invisible), 156 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,594
Posts989,012
Members44,491
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Happy Birthday Air Force
TUTS 59 #1377732 Sun Sep 20 2020 02:29 AM
H
'Bolter
Shortly before I got to Kadena Okinawa in 1970, a BUF had tried to abort a takeoff after losing two engines just before getting airborne. Can't fly- - - -can't stop! He ended up against the perimeter fence with a full load of high explosive bombs and full fuel. I don't know if Kadena had a barrier, or if they did, maybe there wasn't time to deploy it. The only survivor of the crash was the tail gunner, and he died a few hours later. Quite a mess!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
TUTS 59 #1377734 Sun Sep 20 2020 03:11 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Jerry, if it was the crash I’m thinking of, I was in the tower that night. You could tell something was wrong with the sound of the engines. The pilot tried to pull up but it settled down and broke apart in the ditch at the end of the runway. Immediately caught on fire. The crew that could get out were running on fire. The tail gunner was the last one out. By that time the 500 pounders were going off forcing the fire trucks to back off. They would pull back forward til the next one went off. I don’t remember which one in rotation that plane was that night but the one right behind him was already rolling when it happened. The mission was aborted and the rest returned to their side of the base. Wreckage burned for several hours. We were closed down for a couple of days for cleanup. Sad deal.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

TUTS 59 #1402841 Wed Mar 24 2021 05:38 PM
D
'Bolter

Mike
TUTS 59 #1402846 Wed Mar 24 2021 05:58 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Dragsix, I was in the tower (weather observation deck) for that launch. We knew something was wrong about halfway down the runway. The plane was laboring really hard, rose to about 25 feet then fell back onto the runway and broke in half. Caught fire immediately and shortly later the bombs began going off. The fire trucks who were always on standby whenever there was a mission launch, had to back away every time there was an explosion. They would pull back up and spray foam until another one would go off. No firefighters on the ground and they basically had to let it burn itself out. It was amazing how fast the engineers got the runway back open. Naha took the load for awhile. Very long shift that night.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

TUTS 59 #1403929 Wed Mar 31 2021 01:23 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
Today is the 100th Birthday of the Royal Australian Air Force. So happy birthday to all those that have been involved.
The attached video is the dedication of the new colours and at the end a fly over. The fly over starts at about 1 hour 20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1IYAD0Ie78

Steve

Last edited by reidy; Wed Mar 31 2021 01:40 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Achipmunk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop