The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (ChucknPat, delky, DavidBraley, Achipmunk, destryridesagain, 1 invisible), 177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,017
Posts1,000,886
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Benefit to enclosing the drivetrain like today's trucks?
38_1.5Ton #1403914 Wed Mar 31 2021 12:29 AM
W
'Bolter
What are you planning on experimenting with? If it's your 38, I don't really see the point. First off, the draft tube needs air acrossed it to function properly. Secondly, the the pre-war trucks are about as aerodynamic as it gets with there smooth body lines.

On a pickup, maybe an under bumper spoiler and some skirting under the running boards may help, but I can't see a significant increase in economy.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
38_1.5Ton #1404345 Fri Apr 02 2021 02:21 AM
D
'Bolter
Originally Posted by 38_1.5Ton
The cars I have seen do cover the exhaust but I totally agree with the comments to think safety first.. maybe twice before modding. Good points. I was thinking of going just past the cab and leaving it open for it to "vent " at the back somewhere.. None of it "air tight".. but better than what it is.

If you do something like this, please share. I'm always impressed with the innovation and thinking outside of the box that happens here.

-David

1953 2-Ton GMC
38_1.5Ton #1404590 Sat Apr 03 2021 04:03 PM
M
'Bolter
This guy is a great source for auto aerodynamics that normal people can understand. Here is a belly pan video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9WCVlWPcys

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
38_1.5Ton #1405028 Tue Apr 06 2021 09:05 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
How much do you actually plan on driving your truck? The OTR trucks and trailers you see with the aerodynamic kits are rigs that see hundreds of thousands of miles a year of interstate highway cruising. For rigs that get 10-15 (guess??) mpg of expensive diesel, the single digit improvement in MPG is real money to them. It may not be worth the expense, effort and ugliness on an occasional use antique.

Is fuel efficiency that critical here?

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

38_1.5Ton #1405035 Tue Apr 06 2021 09:55 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
John, you're wildly optimistic on the mpg of the OTR trucks. More like 6-7 mpg is the average, so anything that they can do to eke out even another 1/2 mpg (stuff like trailer skirts, and cab fairings) pays back. I have to agree that for a Stovebolt, it's not going to help much.

Even reducing splash (most stay off the roads with their babies when it rains, right) probably isn't much help, as it makes it harder to wash the crud that would still get above the splash shields.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
38_1.5Ton #1405042 Tue Apr 06 2021 11:15 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Kevin -- you are correct. I was making a (conservative) SWAG. In my own work experience driving the 359 Pete with the big cam Cummins ... we don't even bother figuring out the MPG. I just fill the tank everytime I drive it as we don't trust the fuel gauge ... smile But that 50-plus gallon tank runs down alarmingly fast.

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop