The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (reidy), 224 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,429
Posts996,094
Members44,661
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: what bolts can I use for replacement lug studs?
pan3lman #1400081 Fri Mar 05 2021 05:32 AM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Whatever the method, make sure you fully seat that stud. Failure to do so will end up with a loose lug nut.

pan3lman #1400082 Fri Mar 05 2021 05:36 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
This brings up a good point, but everything I say is a good point, so no surprise there....anyway, the kids at tire shops, the biggest being Discount, are well trained. They are trained to use a torque wrench. And they are also given air impact wrenches. As I have said, these should be used for removal. So what do these kids do even after they become managers? You may ask? They use the impact to tighten the lug nuts. Then they use a torque wrench. Which clicks immediately. So what is the torque value of that nut? Nobody knows. They do look up the torque for that vehicle or it is printed on the order. So they set the wrench like they were trained....and as I said, it clicks right away after the air hammer hammered the nut on. Don't know what the max torque is on their heavy duty guns but could they be damaging the studs? ALL OF THEM ? if you buy 4 tires? Maybe, sometimes.

Second issue: They are trained to put the nut on by hand before using the impact. That's correct. So they make four twist of their hand/wrist. That's a lot of fastening. It's actually just one rev, one thread or less. If it's a little off, known as cross threaded, it gets ram hammered on and he never feels the resistance. Then he puts the torque wrench on it and it clicks right away.

Just food for thought for you insurance guys. Using a torque wrench is no guarantee at all. The nut has to be turned a rev or two by the torque wrench. Tires shops are using the wrong technique. You don't know where you are stopping an impact wrench, you just stop after it ratchet hammers a few times or a lot of times. They should be banned for tightening. Or use a low voltage DC cordless nut driver with an adjustment. The need to get customer thru put has negated training....or the Corporation doesn't realize they have a cart before the horse situation.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

pan3lman #1400086 Fri Mar 05 2021 06:08 AM
H
'Bolter
Just about anyone other than a mouth-breathing moron who needs help tying his own shoelaces can be trained to snug lug nuts with an impact wrench without exceeding the torque specs. That's why every professional-quality air wrench has a built-in pressure adjustment valve. Even with an impact set near its maximum power, using the correct "torque stick" for a specific diameter and pitch of lug stud will prevent over-torquing, as long as the proper technique is used. Shops that routinely overtorque lug nuts need a change in management, not necessarily a new work crew. Of course, someone who has not spent a lifetime in the auto repair business might not be aware of the tools and techniques available to professionals at the trade. That's what that "ASE Certified Master Technician" shoulder patch that a lot of us wear is all about. An automotive Master Technician is certified in 8 categories, and he must recertify every 4 years. Keeping 22 certifications current is a bit more of a challenge.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
pan3lman #1400089 Fri Mar 05 2021 11:57 AM
A
'Bolter
IMHO
One of thee most important threads I have read on this site.

1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
pan3lman #1400114 Fri Mar 05 2021 03:54 PM
P
'Bolter
So I'm here all weekend for any of you pro's that want to do my studs, LOL

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
pan3lman #1400115 Fri Mar 05 2021 04:00 PM
H
'Bolter
Do you have access to a drill press and a BFH? Drop me a PM. I can walk you through a shade tree method that works.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1400180 Sat Mar 06 2021 12:34 AM
'Bolter
yup, no one got hurt, but my experience with a shop screwup torqueing lug nuts was proudly driving my '57 two door hardtop belair away from the shop with its brand new paint, new wheels and tires when it went limp on the right rear at about 45mph. the tire went up into the wheel well, brake drum came off and backing plate bottom wore a flat spot as it made impressive sparks I'm sure. lucky the damage to the fender and inner fender was minor...but it was a brand new paint job. Expensive lesson for that shop foreman as they lost time and money on this one with another paint job as well as my dampened exitement! (putting it mildly) only a few miles away from the shop so the couldn't have no more than finger tightened.

Larry
All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY.
If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.
pan3lman #1400185 Sat Mar 06 2021 01:19 AM
B
'Bolter
When I worked at a Pep Boys many Years ago, we had an incident of a tire coming off. Long story short, Installer got Fired on the Spot. The Tech that was assigned to double check the installer was written up and so was the Service Manger. This was a small claim at 27,000 dollars. Luckly no one was injured!

Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop