The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Bill Trotter, 78buckshot, 5 Window 9434, campbell45, bandbrent, 1 invisible), 138 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,583
Posts988,941
Members44,491
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ignition Switch two vs three positions
#1399866 Wed Mar 03 2021 06:35 PM
P
Wrench Fetcher
‘49 3600 261 SM420 12v
Swapping out my generic Napa key switch while installing matched lock sets for everything. Using the repro key switch with the included light housing not the separate bracket. Switch is unlabeled on the terminals but bottom terminal works like the battery terminal and 1 click CW connects all three terminals (so I guess you could put the battery wire on any of the 3 terminals by itself). The key still clicks once more to the right which is also all off and the key won’t come out. So: full CCW is off, 1 click right is all on and 2 clicks right is all off but key stays in. No apparent distinction between ACC or Ignition for the terminals.

Do I have a mismatched key/ignition switch body? Like a three position tumbler in a two position body?
Pics below:

Attached Files
1E6A3A56-10CB-4395-88F5-927804F11581.jpeg (148.73 KB, 115 downloads)
5AB21411-8455-405B-AB8F-396272CFFD58.jpeg (149.86 KB, 113 downloads)
Re: Ignition Switch two vs three positions
PapaDisco #1399871 Wed Mar 03 2021 06:57 PM
'Bolter
Hi PapaDisco,

I went through the same exercise a while back. Check this THREAD out. It should be helpful. You are definitely on the right track.

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104 [flic.kr]
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred [flic.kr]

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
PapaDisco #1399986 Thu Mar 04 2021 06:23 PM
P
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Andy. All the other threads I pulled up were considerably older, don't know why that particular thread didn't make the cut.

Besides the wiring info in the prior threads, which I'm fine with, I was just curious about the 3 position key tumblers in the 2 position housings. As you can see I'm using the housing with the integrated light and that doesn't require the separate mounting bracket. It would be useful to have a version of this that allowed a true ACC only continuity instead of always connecting ACC and the Starter circuit.

PapaDisco #1399994 Thu Mar 04 2021 07:35 PM
'Bolter
Sure, I'm glad it helped.

You make a valid point with the lack of an ACC position. However, a you know, 'back in the day' there weren't a lot of extra gizmos and gadgets to power. This style of ignition switch is probably responsible for burning countless numbers of points.......

Post a photo of the front of your ignition switch. Where did you purchase that one?

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104 [flic.kr]
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred [flic.kr]

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
PapaDisco #1400003 Thu Mar 04 2021 07:53 PM
H
'Bolter
Your photo did not show the front of the switch with the key slot. Some switches have an "off- - -unlocked" position where the key can be removed and the switch can still be operated by using a amall handle built into the lock assembly. Ir was designed to allow the vehicle to be operated without inserting the key into the lock. The "off and locked" position secured the vehicle so a key ws needed to turn the switch. On that switch, the center position with the key straight up is the "ignition on" spot. There is no "start" position, since the switch was used with a foot pedal starter.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
PapaDisco #1400480 Mon Mar 08 2021 02:21 AM
P
Wrench Fetcher
This is not the 'field hand version' with the little lever on the bottom allowing you to turn the ignition on without the key. Don't have a photo handy to post at the moment, but from the front it's just the plain jane face with the two tiny pin holes for releasing the tumbler.

I don't actually have it in the truck yet. An electrical gremlin popped up that I'll post about separately. Best to solve mysteries one at a time . . .

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop