The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
2023 ... plans, plans, plans

Holidays are over

Hunkering down for winter ... how about your truck?
Winter storage.

Doing some truck maintenance?
The Shops Area may be useful.

Eager to plans some trips?
See what's shaking near you in The Side Lot.

How about your computer?
Plenty of help in the IT Shortbus.

Be of good cheer!
The days are getting longer.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (BigBore, IdahoNative, Hotrod Lincoln, Jethro in Va, fonz8261, 2 invisible), 213 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,267
Posts1,053,233
Members46,580
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1399980 Thu Mar 04 2021 05:13 PM
T
'Bolter
Hello and many thanks for all you do to keep the forum operating from an IT perspective.

What actions or considerations are there for expanding the acceptable photo formats in include those for pictures taken with newer iPhones and iPads? My iPhone 11 operating on iOS 14.4 create pictures in the HEIC format.

By the way, I do hate the stupid "Live" feature that makes a 1 second video out of every picture. That creates an MOV format and typically at least doubles the file size. I'm not sure you want to start accepting those.

Thank you,

Rusty
TBUChevy #1399983 Thu Mar 04 2021 05:38 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
There are settings on iphones to transfer those HEIC format files to JPEG (I think if you connect to a PC.)
Also turn off that stupid live feature. The phone stores two files for each picture and if LIVE is turned off it only stores the still file.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
TBUChevy #1400048 Fri Mar 05 2021 12:03 AM
AD Addict
On the iPhone, go to settings, scroll down and click on “Camera”, click on “Formats” and click “Most Compatible”. That will save your photos in a JPEG format.

While your there, click on “Preserve Settings”, click on the slider for “Live Photo” and make sure it’s green. That will preserve you last setting and not automatically reset it to “Live Photo”.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Phak1; Sat Mar 06 2021 01:58 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop & Interiors

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
TBUChevy #1400051 Fri Mar 05 2021 12:18 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon and HiPo Forum
Phil, thanks. I just did that on my iPhone. I don’t take many photos with it but the process may save me a headache in the future.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

TBUChevy #1400097 Fri Mar 05 2021 01:10 PM
AD Addict
Just watch when your phone gets updated. Sometimes the updates change settings back to the defaults and you’ll have to change them back. This is especially true on major updates like a new version of IOS.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop & Interiors

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
TBUChevy #1400192 Sat Mar 06 2021 02:01 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Originally Posted by TBUChevy
Hello and many thanks for all you do to keep the forum operating from an IT perspective.

What actions or considerations are there for expanding the acceptable photo formats in include those for pictures taken with newer iPhones and iPads? My iPhone 11 operating on iOS 14.4 create pictures in the HEIC format.

By the way, I do hate the stupid "Live" feature that makes a 1 second video out of every picture. That creates an MOV format and typically at least doubles the file size. I'm not sure you want to start accepting those.

Thank you,

Thanks for the input, Rusty! I am not yet familiar with that format so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will be more than willing to take a look at it and, if the UBB software allows, add it to our accepted formats.

Are you an IT person? Or at least someone with interest in that area? Please PM me (and include Baldeagle) if so ...

Thanks!
John

John

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

'49 Chevrolet 3804
'73 IH 1310 Dump
'14 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)

TBUChevy #1400816 Wed Mar 10 2021 03:45 AM
T
'Bolter
Hello to all and many thanks for the responses.

I especially appreciate Phil's guidance on managing the photo file format and the live feature. I also agree that you have to keep a sharp eye on settings and preferences with software updates.

Apple products default photos to the HEIC format which is exclusive to them. It is a version of the HEIF format that uses compression technology. It has the photo resolution of a JPEG file at about half the file size. HEIC is one of the formats that the industry is considering as a replacement for JPEG. That would be a long term transition.

John: I will send a PM.

Rusty
TBUChevy #1400831 Wed Mar 10 2021 05:51 AM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
I found that emailing pix to myself 1. makes them smaller, and 2. turns the HEIC into a jpg.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
TBUChevy #1404080 Wed Mar 31 2021 08:54 PM
'Bolter
I just learned about this for my mac. Another simple fix is to drag or move HEIC images that you want to upload to a folder on the desktop. This will save them as JPEG in that folder. Then you can upload as a JPEG from that folder.

Mark

Moderated by  baldeagle, Gord&Fran 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop