The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Bluecollardogs, james1961, TGP, Rette Stine, GMJim, 1 invisible), 120 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,939
Posts1,000,194
Members44,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pressure Washer
#1399854 Wed Mar 03 2021 04:41 PM
W
'Bolter
I'm in the market for a pressure washer and was wondering what PSI I needed. Will be used on the truck frame as well as general purpose household use.

Also what name brand you would recommend. I'm looking at a Stihl.

Thanks

Kevin
1965 Chevy C10 Longbed Fleetside
(Engine needed, originally 230)
Re: Pressure Washer
WarEagle1 #1399867 Wed Mar 03 2021 06:41 PM
P
'Bolter
General pumps as well as Cat pumps are common but there is all kinds of offshore stuff available out there .
I have an 1800 psi pump here (electric) and a gas powered 2900 psi pump as well . Both do the same job but the bigger one is quicker .
As important as the PSI is the GPM ( gallons Per minute ) The smaller electric washers use about 2 gpm . were as a decent 3000 psi range pump will use in the 5 gpm area and that along with a rotary nozzle will clean up a frame real nice . Watch out for wires and rubber stuff this could destroy them .
Anything larger in my mind would be overkill and expensive.
Most pumps come with pressure regulators or one could just stand farther back to reduce impact.
When buying nozzles rotary or other make sure they are rated for the psi and gpm of the pump they will be used with .

John

good planning is no substitute for dumb luck
WarEagle1 #1399885 Wed Mar 03 2021 09:26 PM
W
'Bolter
Appreciate it. Why is the rotary nozzle better than a regular nozzle?

Kevin
WarEagle1 #1399952 Thu Mar 04 2021 01:16 PM
C
'Bolter
We have two pressure washers, one stays in the paint booth building to clean between paint jobs and the other high pressure/high flow one is used for general cleaning. Having gone through or worn out several during the years I definitely would get one with a Honda engine if gas powered.

Evan
WarEagle1 #1399955 Thu Mar 04 2021 01:54 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Concur with Evan -- Can't go wrong with a Honda. Mine is a Robin (Subaru) engined PW I bought 18 years ago for the farm and we've used it a lot on the house, pole building, garage, equipment, trucks. Now we use it just on the house and the boat. Still starts on second pull.

Having been a big user of small engines, the best I've had were Honda, Robin and Kohler. Not a fan of Tecumseh and I regard Briggs & Stratton as junk. I've used both Honda and Robin for irrigation pumps and they sat out on the end of the pump platforms all season through all weather for years and (with proper PM) *always* gave excellent service.

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

WarEagle1 #1399971 Thu Mar 04 2021 04:13 PM
P
'Bolter
I agree with the Honda engine as pump drive as most if not all have oil filters unlike the cheaper gas engines .

Nozzles come in various spray patterns from about 60 degree down to 0 degree . So your psi. is either concentrated on a small point at 0 degree or spread out at 60 deg.
A rotary nozzle spins the 0 deg. around at about a 45 deg pattern maximizing impact ideal for rust and scale removal but not for general purpose .
I personally have a cheap 2900 psi at 5 gpm . bought at Lowes for $200. that works well for me, mind you I rarely use it more than 10 hours a year so a big dollar investment was not needed .
One last thing , dont run a pump with out water in it and dont run hot water into a pump , this can ruin a pump .

John

good planning is no substitute for dumb luck
WarEagle1 #1400709 Tue Mar 09 2021 07:14 PM
W
'Bolter
Thanks to all for the advice

Kevin

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop