The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
21 members (66flea, 78buckshot, 32vsnake, 38 Coal Truck, Bill Trotter, 2 invisible), 151 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,611
Posts989,232
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Suzuki
#1399908 Thu Mar 04 2021 12:49 AM
R
rickmg Offline OP
'Bolter
I've been working on my nephew Carl's 2002 Suzuki Vinson 500 Quadmatic ATV. He bought it used 3-4 years ago and has never run correctly. I discovered a gallon of gas in the air box and the crankcase was full of gas too. Caused by the fuel shut off valve and carburetor. I had the carburetor rebuilt and installed a new shutoff valve. Gas tank is clean. The rebuild kit did not come with a new seat for the needle. The carb will run too rich. Fouling the plug and backfiring out the exhaust. I've taken this carb apart and clean/blew it out more times than I can remember. Runs great for about 15 minutes and then goes right back to over carbureting. If I shut off the gas to the carb and let it run, it'll run great for the last minute or so before it runs out of gas in the fuel bowl. The carb float is OK. A new carb cost over $600. This machine isn't worth it. Any thoughts/feedback from you folks.

Rick

Re: Suzuki
rickmg #1399926 Thu Mar 04 2021 02:56 AM
H
'Bolter
Is the float plastic, or hollow brass? Sometimes a leaky float will lose enough of its buoyancy due to a little gas getting inside that it can't shut off the incoming fuel at the right level to keep it from flooding. Is the needle seat removable, or is it built into the carburetor? I've polished a leaky needle seat by chucking it into a variable speed drill motor and spinning it against a pencil eraser or a Cratex Dremel tool polishing bob shaped into a "V" to match the angle of the needle valve. If the seat is built into the carb, you might be able to simply polish it with a Cratex point, but use a slow speed driver, not the Dremel, to do it.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
rickmg #1399945 Thu Mar 04 2021 10:36 AM
T
'Bolter
Complete chinese carburetors can often be purchased for stupid low prices... like less than $50. They have become disposable/wear items. A search on Amazon for a carb for your machine gives 100 hits. Get one and do a quick swap - should be a relatively easy bolt on. If that solves the problem, then you can take your time to go through the OEM one to restore it and keep the cheapy as a spare...

rickmg #1400693 Tue Mar 09 2021 04:59 PM
R
rickmg Offline OP
'Bolter
Update on the Suzuki carburetor. I took it apart upteen times. Kept spraying all the passages with carb cleaner and using 150 lbs. air pressure to blow it out. The needle seat is not removable. I used Jerry's suggestion, somewhat. I shaved a pencil eraser to a point, stuck it in the needle and hand twirled it. The engine hasn't run that good since my nephew bought it used. I used it this morning to haul a trailer full of wood from my back woodlot. As an extra precaution I installed a fuel inline shutoff valve and an inline fuel filter. Waiting for warmer weather so I can power wash it before I put all the cover/fenders back on.

Rick

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop