The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
21 members (38 Coal Truck, 78buckshot, 66flea, 32vsnake, Csims, 2 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,612
Posts989,237
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Radio install and settings
cameo1956 #1399775 Wed Mar 03 2021 01:31 AM
J
'Bolter
Howdy Dale! The capacitor (condenser) I've developed may help some with things related to the distributor. On the generator, you could attach a .5 uF capacitor to the arm. lead (and to ground) and you could also attach a .5 uF capacitor on the battery lead of the voltage regulator (and also to ground). Might help. A lot of the suppressors sold since I was very young are small cans filled with pure snake oil with some wires sticking out of them. I've also seen capacitors attached to the hot side of the coil...not the side wired to the points and also capacitors on the ignition switch where the hot wire connects. Truthfully I'm not all that certain any of this stuff did that much good. Using resistor spark plugs generally does help, however.

As for the antenna, I don't know what you're thinking nor what you want to accomplish. A lot of people (me included) run these underneath the vehicle, attached to the frame and running parallel to it...so that nobody sees them. What you have to realize is AM radio isn't much these days and certainly nothing like it was even in the 80s.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
cameo1956 #1399789 Wed Mar 03 2021 02:38 AM
'Bolter
Hi Dale
I have part number and values for all those locations
But as long as you have a low inductance small shunt capacitor at those
Locations you will be good
Don’t worry about the wheel static arrestor dohikee it’s mostly snake oil for when folks ran out of options chasing down a poor connection someplace that was creating RF noise
The neat thing about iron rust is that in the right situation it can exhibit diode action
So a rusty poor connection can create all sorts of fun for a radio
I’ve personally never needed to resort to weird things.
The capacitor Jon makes is likely perfectly fine to use in all locations
A polypropylene or polyethylene film cap will be so low inductance it will shunt anything in the AM band like it was DC
All those locations are in the 0.1 or so rang so a 0.5 uF is totally the right value and you can’t go too big as long as absolute impedance at 1MHz isn’t compromised.
Modern parts are awesome.
-s

cameo1956 #1399818 Wed Mar 03 2021 05:57 AM
C
Shop Shark
Hi and thank you Jon and Stan for all this most helpful information and advice. I will make sure the distributor is covered, the generator, the voltage regulator for starters. It seems the ammeter, which I understand is the recommended power source for the radio is another spot to cover for now. and the instruction sheet is pretty clear on the wiring for that, and I think I will skip the wheel static for now Stan per your thoughts on that. So I guess that covers it for now — except, I do think the spark plugs is a good tip Jon and I will check what I already have installed - may be ok. Still waiting for the spacers etc. from Chevs of the 40s so I’ll use the down time to locate some capacitors and take it from there.
Oh, and I do agree with you Jon about how minimal the AM scene is today, especially around here. But I’m a little bit of a purist, not totally, but a little, and I just want to see this thing working again the way it should — at least as best I can, and you guys are helping me do that. I really appreciate your help.

Dale

cameo1956 #1399848 Wed Mar 03 2021 04:15 PM
J
'Bolter
I remember when people driving gasoline haulers hung chains from their axle tubes that would drag along the highway while they drove. You'd see them sparking at night and occasionally the chain would wear to the point it would toss bits of links out behind. Later on those changed to rubber straps and today you almost never see them. The chains were to reduce static electricity and in the 50s some people got the idea this would help with radio static. While a lot of people did this, I don't believe any of them knew anything at all about radio interference, etc. I think most of them just thought it looked neat at a time when looking neat was very important.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
cameo1956 #1399860 Wed Mar 03 2021 05:24 PM
'Bolter
cameo,
congratulations for owning and installing an original radio. In my opinion you will benefit from installing a capacitor on the supply side of the coil and also one on the armature lead of the generator, either at the regulator or the generator. The interference is most audible when receiving weak station signals. I use the same condenser that is used in the distributor.

The antenna is normally installed on the driver's side cowl. The location is very specific because if located wrong it will interfere with the hood opening. If my memory serves me right there is a reinforcement built in to the cab structure to anchor the antenna.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
truckernix #1399982 Thu Mar 04 2021 05:37 PM
C
Shop Shark
Thanks, I too have much appreciation for the old and the original whenever I can. Not finished yet, just got the antenna and instructions and contemplating the exact location before I drill that hole. Lots of advice on here on that so I should be good. Watching out for the hood is great advice. I probably would not have thought about that until -- oops. I'm also in the process of changing the vacuum wiper motor for an electric one, so need to finish that before actually placing the radio. Just seemed easier for access to do that now, before the radio takes up most of the space. As you are most likely (me, sometimes painfully, always uncomfortably)) aware, these spaces are not easy to get at, what with clutch, brake, steering column, gear shift, ebrake and dump bed shifters all on the floor competing for the space I need to crawl into to get my eyes and hands up there. Nobody said it would be easy, but man, I'm gettin too old for this ***, not too old yet, just gettin (and not complaining either, just sayin). Thanks again Truckernix - appreciate your help. I know I'll be back for more.

Dale

cameo1956 #1400008 Thu Mar 04 2021 08:11 PM
'Bolter
If you thought getting the instruments out was difficult before
Wait till you try to do it with a radio installed frown
I fought for a while one time trying to get the ignition and speedo out
Eventually took radio out first
In all if you just start by removing radio before attempting instrument work you will likely save time
Removing the radio is only a 5-10 minute delay before accessing instruments
Going back in does take a bit more time
-s

cameo1956 #1400020 Thu Mar 04 2021 09:01 PM
'Bolter
I have seen posts that say with the electric wiper installed the original type radio will not fit. I don`t know if that is true. There are times when I would have enjoyed electric wipers since I still have the old vacuum ones.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
cameo1956 #1400083 Fri Mar 05 2021 05:40 AM
C
Shop Shark
When I opened the box today and saw the size of the electric wiper motor, I really started to wonder myself if there was enough room for both.

But if I have to make a choice — the radio will come first. It would be easier for sure to install the wiper mech while the radio is out, but not worth it if the radio won’t fit.

I will start searching previous threads first, but if anybody hears or knows anything on this topic in the meantime I would sure appreciate it if you could pass it on my way. Thanks for the tip Truckernix.

****Well, I did do some research and found a thread started by Weeds almost 10 years ago where this topic received a lot of discussion by Bolters I consider, compared to me, to be experts. In the final analysis I could not tell if the initiator (Weeds) ended up actually installing both successfully (his issue was a faulty design problem he had with the electric motor he purchased frm Classic Parts) but the thread ran something like:

1) Trucks 47- 53 could accept both the electric wiper conversion and an original radio even given the confined space, because the speaker is below the tuner and not above like later models.

2) There are different electric wiper motor manufacturers and one of them (not the one from Classic Parts that I have in hand) fits with less difficulty.

3) There is a vacuum wiper rebuilder (Wiperman.com) who apparently largely improves the performance of the old vacuum motors for about $100, that’s 10 years ago info.

That’s it for now, I’m going ahead for now, but I will pm some of the folks on this previous thread : don’t know if it’s ok to use their handles here, I remember them and I will get back or ask them to post their experience here for us.

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Fri Mar 05 2021 08:51 PM. Reason: Updated information
truckernix #1401154 Sat Mar 13 2021 12:21 AM
C
Shop Shark
Almost ready now, electric wipers installed, antenna installed per instructions that came with the antenna, radio mounted in the dash, ready for power hookup.

I can now say with certainty that the radio does fit with the electric wiper motor installed. Electric wipers - that's another story, lots, lots of challenges. Still trying to adjust; sweep/post etc. Hope I get there.

One more question though on wiring. I know from a previous similar thread the radio should be connected to the ammeter on the load side - but, which is the load side? The previous thread I mentioned also shows the wiring for a condenser.Does the radio wire go to the same side as the condenser?

Dale

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop