The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (38 Coal Truck, 78buckshot, 66flea, 32vsnake, Csims, 2 invisible), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,612
Posts989,237
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Vacuum Advance
Fuzzyx33 #1399646 Tue Mar 02 2021 02:59 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
“The last time I started it a bunch of acorns came out of the exhaust”, so, it has run in your hands! Now for the bad news, you probably shouldn’t have tried to start it. Mice can crawl all the way through the exhaust into the very depths of the engine itself. Mouse urine will cause things to rust and stick. Pushrods could have bent. Read the Stovebolt Tech Tip on resurrecting a long dead Engine for some do’s and don’ts.
When you get the engine all back together help will be here.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Fuzzyx33 #1399649 Tue Mar 02 2021 03:07 AM
H
'Bolter
Engineers- - - - -

Highly intelligent people
Well educated and articulate
No common sense whatsoever!

From about 1981 to 2008 or so, in addition to my day job of teaching auto mechanics at either the technical trade school or high school level, I ran a series of night classes for the Nashville Metro school system, teaching subjects such as "do it yourself" auto mechanics, auto body work, and basic welding courses. One 10-week session of auto mechanics, my student group included five brand new automotive engineers from the newly-opened GM Saturn manufacturing plant in Spring Hill Tennessee. These kids in their mid-20's were fresh graduates of General Motors Technical Institute, where GM trains the kids and grandkids of upper level management types to build automobiles. Someone up the chain of command had decided maybe they could use some hands-on experience at twisting wrenches. That 10-week session was about the most entertaining time I've ever spent in an auto shop! Those young men (and one lady) knew plenty about how to build a car- - - -and absolutely nothing about fixing one! A couple of them actually enrolled for a second session, saying that they had learned more about auto repair from me than they had in four years of "automotive engineering" in college!

After reading (and re-reading) the Tech Tips on waking up a sleeping engine, tackle the rehab procedure one step at a time. The ignition system will be one of the last things to work on, after determining whether or not the internal mechanical condition of the engine is OK. Don't get impatient- - - -a few rookie mistakes early on can lead to major damage to an engine that might have been avoided by a little more methodical approach.

Never, EVER try to use the fuel tank of a vehicle that has sat idle for any length of time to try to start an engine that's been idle for a long time. The residue in the gas tank from evaporated gasoline can gum up all the valve stems in a matter of minutes, and the next time you attempt to start the engine, you'll end up with bent or broken pushrods, stuck valves, broken rocker arms, or possibly bent valves and damaged pistons. Always use fresh, clean gas from a container such as an outboard motor fuel tank. The onboard tank must be cleaned, and/or discarded and replaced.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Fuzzyx33 #1399670 Tue Mar 02 2021 05:31 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
Good answers. Keep up the good work. Us engineers have to stick together. Who needs common sense anyway? We got them calculations and know how to bake acorns. Like Martin says, we are open 24/7/365.

I didn't mean look at the tail pipe, just trying to describe the sound of "firing". The definition seems lost on you. Still not sure if it fired. Help me be sure it fired. I guess "trying to start" means firing, not just cranking. RIght?

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

Fuzzyx33 #1399692 Tue Mar 02 2021 01:30 PM
P
'Bolter
Who do you think designed your car?

Fuzzyx33 #1399727 Tue Mar 02 2021 06:47 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
...........and his motorcycle

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

Fuzzyx33 #1399768 Wed Mar 03 2021 12:43 AM
'Bolter
Well Fuzzy, you passed the first test with flying colors.
You skillfully saw through all of the bloviating banter delivered by our favorite bloviators without taking offense. These guys are very knowledgeable and are very eager to help.
We lose some newbies who don't recognize that right out of the gate, so congratulations.
My interpretation of your situation is that you are faced with the daunting task of what is similar to "how does one eat an elephant?" Why, one bite at a time, of course.

Fuzzyx33 #1399859 Wed Mar 03 2021 05:23 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
51 Walk around [dropbox.com]

Just a visual of what I’m working with and where I am with it.

Be kind lol

Fuzzyx33 #1399861 Wed Mar 03 2021 05:28 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
52Carl—- thank ya for the kind words. I’m the type that loves to learn so some harsh criticism is sometimes what a student needs. I’m sticking around cuz I know there’s a time of good knowledge and advice here.

Should be fun

Scott

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop