The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (52Carl, Bellflower, 52Beastie, Cosmo, Dragsix, Bill Trotter), 149 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,602
Posts989,188
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Vacuum Advance
Fuzzyx33 #1399567 Mon Mar 01 2021 09:02 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Well I inherited this so called "Basket case" or "mess" when my pops passed away a few years ago. He bought it just as i have described...completely apart. All Im trying to do is get it running. I appreciate your insight and attempt to help.

Fuzzyx33 #1399570 Mon Mar 01 2021 09:22 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
This is why some of us are Paranoid Schizophrenics, skeptics, don't trust posters and ask a lot of questions without helping. This was an innocent post about vacuum advance and HEI. After two pages we squeezed out the whole story. We could have gone on and on about all the reasons for no start. Which is usually 16 pages. We could have just answered the simple question. I wish that folks would spell out the situation in the beginning.
So............the reason for giving up is that we don't know if you can get the distributor back in correctly. We don't know if you are going to buy a clone or Pertronix or points. We don't know why someone would take a fuel pump off to clean it. We don't know if the carburetor is apart. We don't know if you have a ballast resistor. We don't know if you have an electric solenoid on the starter. We don't know why you took it all apart without any knowledge and before asking here. We don't know what you might do next. We don't know if you plan on ever getting it back together so we can wire it and troubleshoot it after we see what it does then. We don't know if the gaskets for all the removed parts exist. We don't know what to say about what.

Don't push it off on pops. YOU started the 12V conversion, you took carb, dizzy, coil, pump and etc. off yourself. You say no wiring exists but it fired, so had some wiring that you must have removed. We have no idea if was wired right because you took off the wiring. Could have been a simple fix.

What do you want us to do for you? What do you need help with?

You say it turns over, that is called cranking, the starter is cranking/turning/rotating the motor. You say does everything but start. Does it fire? Does noise come out of the exhaust? actually begins to start sort of running on it's own? When you put the parts back together, let us know. Don't try to start. We will then go over the wiring AFTER the parts are in place correctly and the questions above are answered. We are being rough on you right now. We will ease up later.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

Fuzzyx33 #1399571 Mon Mar 01 2021 09:36 PM
J
'Bolter
You may already know this Fuzzy, but here are a couple of thoughts:
1. Avoid Pertronix. Others have said so, and I'll echo everything they've said plus more. The HEI unit made/sold by Tom Langdon is very good.
2. When you have the engine back together and it is to the point of turning over, there are only two things you need to make it start (assuming your camshaft and crankshaft gear are mated at the right spot):
a. fuel...and it is very easy to know if you have fuel or don't
b. spark...and you have to have that spark at the right time. As a boy, I was taught to do this and it will work: With ignition off, put the number 1 cylinder at just a
hair before top dead center position. You can either remove the valve cover and watch the valves moving or you can remove the plug and stick your finger in the
plug hole to feel when compression starts to happen as the engine is turned over. Then you know you're in the right part of the stroke. When you have the piston
at just before top dead center, remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor tip is pointing to the spot where the number 1 spark plug cable connects. Now (very
important), going clockwise from the number 1 plug on that distributor cap, make certain the next wire goes to number 5, then 3, 6, 2, 4. Now with the cap back
on, loosen the distributor a bit, turn the ignition switch on, connect the number 1 wire to the number 1 plug, hold it on a good ground and while watching that
plug, rotate the distributor back and forth a bit to see if the plug sparks. If it does, you know you're probably wired correctly...at least to make it start. Rotate
the distributor again slowly and when the number 1 plug sparks, stop and tighten the distributor holding screw. Replace the plug and wire and then try to start it.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Fuzzyx33 #1399584 Mon Mar 01 2021 10:23 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Again thank you guys for the help. Once I get it back together and what I think is ready to start, I’ll comeback for more advice and hopefully a little more knowledge. And I won’t try to start it.

Fuzzyx33 #1399586 Mon Mar 01 2021 10:25 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
thumbs_up

Fuzzyx33 #1399588 Mon Mar 01 2021 10:40 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Since this thread has morphed from a simple question to a full blown try to get it started thread, I will be moving this to the Engine forum.

I think some of us who are qualified to help would like to know your level of mechanical knowledge. This will help determine the level of help you need.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Fuzzyx33 #1399592 Mon Mar 01 2021 11:02 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Ok that will work. My mechanical level is what I call minimum. I’m always very eager to learn. I reached out to local guys around me and I haven’t been able to find that one dude that says “I’ll be over to help you and would love to share my knowledge with you”, so I reached out here in hopes of a little help.
My mechanical knowledge consist of i bought an old 350 years ago and learned how to tear it down and rebuild it. I ran new brake lines and cylinder on this 51. My knowledge of how the electrical side of this project is zero.
I’m excited to get the old truck running and out on the road. I won’t stop because my lack of knowledge. I’ll ask questions (no matter how dumb) and I’m sure I’ll make many mistakes along this journey. I will learn something from each one and continue on.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism. I need that as well.

Fuzzyx33 #1399597 Mon Mar 01 2021 11:19 PM
F
'Bolter
Fuzzyx33 Watch out for sticky valves after sitting,lube em wd40 ,marvel,pb blaster keep pitchin' you'll hit it !! good luck !

Fuzzyx33 #1399606 Tue Mar 02 2021 12:18 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
Just to ease your mind, the electrical is easy. You will see when the time comes. PLEASE answer the questions/unknowns/concerns underlined in my previous post. VERY important, especially for wiring.

What field of engineering are you in?

Are you going to use a harness kit or wire you have? Harness kit would be a good idea. We can recommend. Don't need the kit to start truck. So it can wait.

Sounds like you do have a solenoid type starter and not a foot start. That means someone has done something.

Fuzzyx33 #1399636 Tue Mar 02 2021 02:26 AM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Bartamos
I will do the best I can to answer and address your questions and concerns.
Can I get the distributor back in correctly?
I’m going to go with I will figure it out. And My reason for thinking this way is there is a right way to do it or else the junkyards would be very overcrowded with cars that are no good because no one knows how to get the distributor back in correctly..
POINTS/PERTRONIX/CLONE
From the advice I got today, I’m going to stick with points until I get it started and maybe I’ll just keep i that way
REMOVING FEUL PUMP
I removed the fuel pump because my knowledge of why or why not remove the fuel pump is zero. I was irritated that I couldn’t figure out something so basic and I took it off. ****please explain why it’s not a smart choice on my part
CARBURETOR APART
The carb is apart only because I bought a rebuild kit. I know nothing about rebuilding a carb but I plan on learning. It’s not completely apart. I definitely am not ready to tackle that
BALLAST RESISTOR
There is one on the firewall that is wired to the switch
STARTER SOLENOID
Yes there is a solenoid on the starter
WHAT IM GOING TO DO NEXT
I’m going to take all the advice I received today and put everything back together. Then get back on here with photos to show what I’ve done.
WHAT DO I WANT HELP WITH
Well I received a **** ton of help today just getting my **** chewed out. So keep chewing if need be, but I will keep learning. Suggestion on what to do next are appreciated.
DOES IT FIRE
The last time I started it a bunch of acorns came out of the exhaust but to be honest I haven’t looked at the tailpipe since. Since it’s not starting my eyes have been on the engine..

I’m a structural ENGINEER

I Hhavent gotten far enough to even think of a wiring harness.

I hope this clears a few things up

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop