The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (Bellflower, 52Carl, Dragsix, 52Beastie, Bill Trotter, 53 green 1- ton), 150 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,602
Posts989,188
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Blocking the dump bed
#1399510 Mon Mar 01 2021 03:55 PM
C
Shop Shark
Is there a preferred way to block the dump bed while it's up so you can work on wiring etc. below? I know a log might work, but short of that has anyone thought of or developed a mechanical way to block the bed should you want to set it up safely e.g. like on display at a car show? 1948 3800 w/dump grain bed. Thanks for any thoughts or ways others may have approached this, or is this a dumb question?

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Mon Mar 01 2021 03:59 PM.
Re: Blocking the dump bed
cameo1956 #1399515 Mon Mar 01 2021 04:31 PM
H
'Bolter
When I was working on a dump truck regularly, I fabricated a positive lock from a piece of heavy wall pipe. I split the pipe lengthwise, added hinges on one side, and used the assembly to surround the hydraulic cylinder ram. Angle iron flanges on the opposite side from the hinges allowed me to bolt the lock securely around the ram. I added big flat flanges top and bottom to distribute the load evenly and avoid damaging the cylinder. Just choose a pipe diameter big enough to clamp around the cylinder shaft.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1399534 Mon Mar 01 2021 05:52 PM
C
Shop Shark
That seems a great way to accomplish blocking Jerry. Was there ever a time when that blocker was tested or did you lower the bed enough to engage after you put it in place? A lot of pressure on the hydraulic, but rather it than me - or somebody else.

Dale

cameo1956 #1399556 Mon Mar 01 2021 07:37 PM
H
'Bolter
Most dump beds lower by gravity with no hydraulic down pressure, so the weight of the bed, plus whatever is inside it is all the lock has to support. I can't imagine many situations where a heavily loaded bed would need to be raised for work underneath it, so the weight of the empty bed, although considerable in some cases, would be all the lock has to support. I always lowered the bed to be in contact with the lock, particularly if I had to work on any of the lift plumbing. Even with a lock in place, I did my best to avoid pinch or crush points whenever possible.
Jerry

cameo1956 #1399558 Mon Mar 01 2021 07:58 PM
'Bolter
Perhaps some USA versions of the hoists lower only under gravity
However there are 6 dump trucks on my farm from 1949-54 on Chevy and GMC, 1-2.5 tons
Every one of them will lower under power
If you hold it in down position you Will hear the engine struggle and all the fine gravel on the frame crunches tight as all the hoses try to straighten out
I’ve never held it in that position too long to find out what gives up
There is no high pressure bypass in the hydraulic system.

Pto off the box can lower under gravity but it won’t be nice and tight to the frame so you get box jump on the bumps which I hate
So I make sure it’s sucked down tight
-s

cameo1956 #1399610 Tue Mar 02 2021 12:34 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I was working under two raised dump bodies today ... smile Both Peterbilts (triaxle and a single axle). Both have positive locks (bars like Jerry described) that raise up and engage the bed so it cannot come back down. We also put wood blocks in closer to the hinges wedged in on top of the frame rails. All of our dump bodies (mostly "East" manufactured and one is a shop built) lower under gravity. Which can be a PITA if, for any number of reasons (most bad), the load does not completely dump and the bed is stuck raised ... but mostly works fine. We have a small truck (IH 4900 single axle dump -- our "sport truck") that has a power down so you have to remember to put the lever back in the neutral position when it is down. It will NOT power down if, say..., an inattentive driver forgets to unlock the gate before raising the bed and the load wedges the gate shut (locks won't release under pressure) ... It wasn't me, but I was part of the shoveling crew to correct it ... at night ... in a blizzard ...

Never EVER prop up a loaded bed, let alone work under it. Dump it in place if you need to lighten the load. Cleaning up a mess is preferable to getting someone hurt or the truck seriously damaged.

2ManyTrucks -- while they might not have put a bypass in the system originally, I would highly recommend putting one in now. That hammer effect is brutal on the pump and the hoses and it is not that complicated to install a bypass. Installing a bypass -- easy. Bursting a line (and having a loaded bed slam down) or blowing up an expensive hydraulic pump truly makes for a bad day ... just sayin'

The experts will know for sure, but I'm guess on the older trucks, a power down ability was used more on the "platform dumps" (dumping flatbeds) than the true dump trucks because the rear axle was set more forward on the frame (and probably so was the hinge point for the bed), so even when empty, there might be more of a tendency for the bed to remain in the raised position, not having enough weight forward of the fulcrum point to let the bed come back down ... ?? Maybe??

We had a friend (who will remain anonymous wink for obvious reasons) who had that power down feature on his Stovebolt Big Bolt and he bent his bed because a chain remained attached and unnoticed during the power down. So care is needed!

smile
John

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

cameo1956 #1399638 Tue Mar 02 2021 02:29 AM
E
'Bolter
Modern dump beds have a piece of pipe secured on one end and have a socket of some sort on the other end to be erected when unloaded. Never use a round log or pipe across the bed to secure a bed, makes dent in back of cab when it rolls out!

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
cameo1956 #1399660 Tue Mar 02 2021 04:35 AM
H
'Bolter
Most of the older gravity-down beds used the area above the piston as a reservoir for hydraulic fluid, and had an air vent at the top of the cylinder. If somebody overfilled the system, the vent would squirt fluid out in a gusher until the volume equalized.
Jerry

cameo1956 #1399894 Wed Mar 03 2021 10:47 PM
L
'Bolter
The attached pictures show what I did for my '50 Chevy COE. The original bed frame had to be scrapped because the bed frame was bent. A friend fabricated the new frame and I asked him to add the post that you see in the first picture, so that I could work on or display the truck without risk of injury or death. The second picture shows it stowed away; rotated parallel with the bed frame with a bolt through the end holding it in place.
Kent

Attached Files
rsz_img_2421.jpg (71.2 KB, 153 downloads)
rsz_img_2422.jpg (48.79 KB, 143 downloads)

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
cameo1956 #1399958 Thu Mar 04 2021 01:59 PM
C
Shop Shark
That is one clean and and very effective appearing dump bed and mechanical blocking device Kent. Just a few questions. Does the lower end secure into a depression or does it rest flat on the housing plate? Do you lower the bed down on to the blocking bar when positioning to secure it? What’s the diameter of the pipe you used, and is it pipe?Have you considered a similar device on the other side to balance the weight of the bed or does ithat not appear necessary given the hydraulic positioning is still employed? I have lots of questions, none of which should detract from the thinking that went into designing this device e.g. built in planned storage for the blocking bar, no need to go too far under the bed to employ, all very valuable features in my opinion. Thanks for sharing Kent, and for the pictures. You have obviously put a lot of thought and work into this.

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Thu Mar 04 2021 04:52 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop