The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (78buckshot, 1955first6500, 5 Window 9434, DennisM, Csims, 2 invisible), 151 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,611
Posts989,232
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Vacuum Advance
#1399397 Sun Feb 28 2021 11:52 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
To start off, Ill let you all know that I’m somewhat of a newbie to the Stovebolt world, so the questions i ask come from lack of knowledge, so please answer and advise as elementary as possible.
I have a 1951 3100. I have somewhat converted it to 12v. I have yet to get it started. It turns over but never starts. So I’m kinda doing an overhaul on some of the engine. I’m removing the points and condenser from the distributor and adding and electronic ignition. Can i do away with the vacuum advance when making this switch?

Re: Vacuum Advance
Fuzzyx33 #1399403 Mon Mar 01 2021 12:12 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Friendly advise....... do not use Pertronix.

To answer your question, no you can’t

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Fuzzyx33 #1399405 Mon Mar 01 2021 12:14 AM
H
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Fuzzyx33
I’m removing the points and condenser from the distributor and adding and electronic ignition. Can i do away with the vacuum advance when making this switch?

If you're about to install the electronic conversion I think you're considering, that's a huge mistake. Hang onto the points and condenser, or better yet, get a new set of points and hang onto the old condenser. You'll need them!

No, you should not eliminate the vacuum advance. It's there to improve the performance of the engine at light throttle, and improve gas mileage. I'd strongly suggest that you do some studying on the function of an ignition system before you start making radical changes to a system that has run untold millions of miles with no problems, for close to 100 years. "Old" is not necessarily "bad"!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Fuzzyx33 #1399430 Mon Mar 01 2021 02:33 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
1. Get it running with a points ignition and later switch if you want.
2. You said you are a newbie, that's OK. You asked for elementary. I like that too.
3. I, and others, will tell you that when you have a no start situation, you can do what you are calling an overhaul......or you can do some tests to see what is wrong.
4. An overhaul or tune up is done when a running motor needs TLC. Not done on a "no start" unless all else fails or if you just want to. We recommend some tests after we ask a few questions. We sure would not recommend Pertronix to a no start beginner owner.
5. The first big questions is "no start" to a beginner can mean "won't crank" or "won't even fire once" or "fires a few times" or starts for a moment but dies or backfires thru carb or tail pipe.
6. Second big question is what motor is in it? and when is the last time it ran?
7. Unless you have forgotten to tell us, you don't even know if it has spark. The first and easiest thing to check after being sure it has gas in the tank.
8. The problem with throwing parts at it for some of us is: You never know what was wrong. You may screw something up.

It will go a long way, if you need help, to answer these questions.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

Justhorsenround #1399492 Mon Mar 01 2021 02:38 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
What brand do you suggest?

Fuzzyx33 #1399494 Mon Mar 01 2021 02:45 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Bartamos
The engine is a 235. The last time it started was about 2 years ago. Right now I don’t have the fuel tank hooked up. Just the fuel line in a full gas can. I’m just trying to get her to start. Ive replace the points and reducer. I e replace the generator with a 12v alternator. Not hooked up yet. I keep doubting the wiring. What’s the best way (by myself)to test to see if all 6 plugs are getting spark or do you suggest test something else? By the way....can I post a video so that the forum can see and hear what’s going on?

Fuzzyx33 #1399498 Mon Mar 01 2021 03:09 PM
E
'Bolter
Fuzzy, to start electrical adventures, get a VOM meter(inexpensive, readily available) and learn how to use it. Then you can start at your ignition key to see if you have voltage there, then follow that downstream for keyon adventures to the distributor, if electricity there, get a spare spark plug, hook it to one ignition lead at the spark plug end, lay that spark plug across the intake manifold so you can observe the firing end, turn the ignition on, turn the starter and observe if there is a spark on the plug. Make sure that plug has a good electrical contact to the manifold, no grease, paint, etc.

That would be step one.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
EdPruss #1399505 Mon Mar 01 2021 03:28 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Ed. I have a VOM. I’m assuming I can witness a spark and push the start button, from inside the cab, all on my own? I may need to educate myself a little more on the circuit and the correct wiring.

Fuzzyx33 #1399508 Mon Mar 01 2021 03:40 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
If you have the original foot starter you will need a helper to watch for spark while you crank. Be sure to turn the key on.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Fuzzyx33 #1399509 Mon Mar 01 2021 03:49 PM
H
'Bolter
A long screwdriver or a pry bar from under the hood is a good work-around for the foot start pedal. I've been doing that for 60-something years and it hasn't failed to work yet. Solenoid starters are much easier- - - -just use a push button switch and a couple of pieces of wire to energize the solenoid.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop