The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (78buckshot, 32vsnake, 38 Coal Truck, Bill Trotter, 1955first6500, 1 invisible), 157 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,611
Posts989,232
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Carburettor
madtrucker #1398848 Thu Feb 25 2021 08:08 PM
M
New Guy
Thanks to everyone for their input and information it is much appreciated, though I do seem to have stirred a bit of a hornets nest.

I think I may have to stick with the old carb which I think is a 483s or 454s W1 and a rebuild might be best.

Again many thanks to you all.

Rob

madtrucker #1399184 Sat Feb 27 2021 10:03 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
Gents, I have a 1940 1/2 ton pickup that has been fitted with a '55 model Blue Flame motor-235. I am gradually going through it rebuilding/repairing/tidying up, etc. and have now tackled the carburettor. It is a Rochester with what appears to be an automatic choke. The only numbers I can find are 9283 stamped on it. Would this have been the original carby or could it have had a carter or something else. There is a small metal tube at the rear/top, which goes into the intake manifold, just sitting in a hole in it. Should it be fitted to the manifold?
I wish to obtain a rebuild kit for the carby and sort out anything else that doesn't seem right.
Many thanks for your help in the past, Bob

madtrucker #1399186 Sat Feb 27 2021 10:21 PM
J
'Bolter
It would have originally had a Rochester. From that number we can't say, but if you could attach a digital image we probably could tell.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
madtrucker #1399193 Sat Feb 27 2021 10:58 PM
H
'Bolter
Does the automatic choke housing have a threaded fitting that a piece of 1/4" tubing can slip into? If so, that tube is probably coming from a sheet metal fixture attached to the exhaust manifold, not the intake. Its purpose is to draw heated air (Not exhaust gas) from around the manifold to assist rhe choke in releasing as the engine warms up. Some manifolds (mostly V8's) had a tube that went all the way through the echaust manifold and drew air through, heating it as the exhausy flowed around the tube.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1399574 Mon Mar 01 2021 09:47 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
This describes the setup pretty well. I have worked out that the carby is a type BC and have organised a rebuild kit for it. I am fitting a set of repro Fenton headers, hence the dismantling. I can now see that the little pipe actually was poked into a hole in the exhaust manifold, which means that gasses were leaking out around the pipe.
When I fit the headers, what would you recommend I do with this pipe? I live in the warmer area of Australia, summer temps can hit 48 degrees C, winter usually around 20.
Many thanks, Bob

Hotrod Lincoln #1399591 Mon Mar 01 2021 10:44 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
Jerry, I now have the manifold apart & see what you mean about the metal band around the exhaust. I assume that the tube was welded/brazed into it. I think that I may be able to modify this band to fit the header and make it good. I also discovered that the exhaust manifold has a few severe cracks. so the exercise is timely. Thanks again for your help, Bob

madtrucker #1403512 Sun Mar 28 2021 09:27 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
I've just about finished mounting up the headers (after a bit of grinding to allow the bolts to fit), and am now wondering if I can remove the auto choke device off the carby & convert it to a manual operation?
Any help greatly appreciated as usual. Bob

madtrucker #1403535 Sun Mar 28 2021 11:23 PM
H
'Bolter
My father, who was just about the wisest man I've ever met, as well as the best carburetor rebuilder, had a comment about automatic chokes- - - -"They're smarter than all drivers, and most mechanics!" A properly adjusted automatic choke KNOWS when the engine needs a richer mixture, and provides it at exactly the right time and amount. It never forgets to release itself, as long as you provide it with a little heat to tell it when the engine is warmed up sufficiently that it doesn't need the richer mixture. Wrapping a few turns of copper tubing around the exhaust pipe and plumbing the air that passes through it to the choke housing is a pretty foolproof method of providing that heat to the choke coil so it can release at the right time.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1403545 Mon Mar 29 2021 12:02 AM
J
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
My father, who was just about the wisest man I've ever met, as well as the best carburetor rebuilder, had a comment about automatic chokes- - - -"They're smarter than all drivers, and most mechanics!" A properly adjusted automatic choke KNOWS when the engine needs a richer mixture, and provides it at exactly the right time and amount. It never forgets to release itself, as long as you provide it with a little heat to tell it when the engine is warmed up sufficiently that it doesn't need the richer mixture. Wrapping a few turns of copper tubing around the exhaust pipe and plumbing the air that passes through it to the chole housing is a pretty foolproof method of providing that heat to the choke coil so it can release at the right time.
Jerry

I will second that in a heartbeat...especially the part about being smarter than I am. To me it is about like indoor plumbing. A very nice convenience. And I don't mind admitting I remember having to use an outhouse on nights when the temperature was single digits and the wind was howling so much I was sure it was going to blow the thing into the next county with me in it. Run the other end of that copper tubing back up inside your air cleaner and you'll have a nice sealed system, too.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
madtrucker #1403560 Mon Mar 29 2021 01:17 AM
D
'Bolter
The stove tube for the automatic choke goes from the carb to a little sheet metal plate arrangement on the exhaust manifold. If you feel underneath you will feel a screw holding it in place so you can see that it is sort of clamped around the exhaust manifold. The tube itself just goes through the little heat box through a hole in the top but It is not brazed into the manifold or exposed to direct exhaust. Just the heat from the manifold. This heat box clamp arrangement will not fit on the fentons so you will have to make up a heat chamber to work.

Now, not to be a party pooper with your fentons but if you are running a single carb on a stock intake, why would you give up the stock exhaust manifold and all the benefits that come with having the intake heated by the exhaust butterfly? Your motor will run better with the stock set up as opposed to the stock intake and fentons.

Last edited by Dragsix; Mon Mar 29 2021 01:18 AM.

Mike
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop