The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (‘37ChevyPU, klhansen), 95 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,471
Posts1,031,725
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Radio install and settings
#1399152 Sat Feb 27 2021 07:26 PM
C
Shop Shark
Close to installing - still waiting for antenna to arrive. Am I missing some hardwAre at the top of the radio that would secure the radio at the top to the dash, after the switch/volume and tuner projections are pushed through. Knobs alone sure won’t hold it. Also,how do you preset stations? I have pushed, pulled and pressed up and down on the preset buttons with no luck.
Anyway here’s what I’m starting with to install at the top. Anything missing?

Attached Files
48131294-76F4-4415-9ED3-A5CDA9320111.jpeg (214.21 KB, 271 downloads)
Re: Radio install and settings
cameo1956 #1399159 Sat Feb 27 2021 08:12 PM
'Bolter
there are nuts 7235969 that go behind the knobs to hold the radio in the dash
also two bolts with spacers at the bottom
i attached clips from the radio installation manual

the top special spacers 7255934 and bottom spacers 7256466 are available to buy online from a few places
rubber washer 7253485 is not special, it just keeps the bolt in place while you hold the radio so that you don't need 3 hands to install

don't forget felt washer 7242365, you can cut that out of felt or leather, it's to keep dust out of the control shaft and make a nice cushion for the knob

-s

Attached Files
cameo1956 #1399172 Sat Feb 27 2021 08:48 PM
C
Shop Shark
Thanks for the files - that helps a lot - any idea which online dealers might have the spacers? Tried a few of the usual suspects so far and struck out. I can probably conjure up the nuts maybe, but the spacers seem to be pretty crucial.

I did find the original nuts on EBay and ordered them, a bit spendy for two nuts, but at least they are on the way.

Last edited by cameo1956; Sat Feb 27 2021 09:03 PM. Reason: added
cameo1956 #1399180 Sat Feb 27 2021 09:40 PM
'Bolter
They are sorta standard nuts for that application noting sacred about em
Used everywhere

The spacers
ChevsOfthe40s 986444EF
I’ve seen them at a few places but I think this one was the best price
Classicparts.com I think used to have too for better price but didn’t find it with my phone.
-s

cameo1956 #1399185 Sat Feb 27 2021 10:19 PM
'Bolter
To answer how to set a station
Pull the button out, then press in gently to set that location
I have a post somewhere on this forum about how the mechanism stores the setting
-s

cameo1956 #1399188 Sat Feb 27 2021 10:39 PM
C
Shop Shark
I cancelled the nut order so will look around here for some based on your advice. Thanks --
Ordered the spacers from Chevs of the 40s, good call, thanks again.
I was sure there must be something on the forum on the setting stations buttons, but darned if I could find it. I will try to pull them out again (they must be in there really hard) to see if I can set them. BTW - looking around for a place to install a ground wire I found the tuner adjustment near the antenna socket you mentioned earlier. I couldn't see that before for some reason from outside, but it's fun to find these probably little known features.
Dale

cameo1956 #1399217 Sun Feb 28 2021 01:11 AM
'Bolter
I believe you need to pull the button out a little to the left when you want to change the setting. When you push it in all the way it will be set to the current tuner location. If you create a little bare metal under one of the bolts on the dash, that will be the only ground you need.

cameo1956 #1399222 Sun Feb 28 2021 01:33 AM
'Bolter
I might have extra nuts around the place
Let me know how hard up you get on finding some
I feel like I should have about 13 extra if i scrape all the places on my farm
-s

Last edited by 2ManyTrucks; Sun Feb 28 2021 01:34 AM.
cameo1956 #1399244 Sun Feb 28 2021 04:03 AM
C
Shop Shark
Thanks to both of you, it’s always a great day when the lights come on and you can see what you’re doing and know what you need to do. I’ll keep looking for those nuts Stan, but keep me in mind as you’re looking around, I might still need a couple —-

Found the nuts - ironically also on Chevs of the 40s - they rearranged my spacer shipping to include the nuts and it all ended up cheaper thus offsetting the cost of the nuts. Nice people.

Thanks again for the offer -s, that was most kind of you.

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Mon Mar 01 2021 06:54 PM.
cameo1956 #1399750 Tue Mar 02 2021 09:37 PM
C
Shop Shark
Well, here I go again, just when I thought I understood the installation, I finally received the radio installation instruction today I had ordered some time ago.

To my surprise I see that in addition to my mechanical understanding, I now have to learn a bit more about the added electronics, specifically according to the instruction: 1) a generator condenser 2) distributor condenser 3) front wheel static suppressor 4) ignition coil condenser 5) voltage regulator condenser 6) ammeter condenser.

As far as I can see I have none of these, although I have not yet looked inside the distributor and can't remember what's in there besides points etc. Are all of those additions really needed just to avoid noise in the radio? So far the only availability I can find matching that need is a "suppressor" at Jim Carter ($20 ea.), and I'm not sure if that can be used in multiple places, or even which location is the most critical to begin with, or is it all of them?

I have read earlier that Jon G has developed an alternative but I'm not sure that is even applicable to radio noise although I will pm him and inquire. Any thoughts along this line of questioning would sure be helpful.

I also just received the antenna today and will be pondering, at great length, just exactly on which side I want to make that hole. I do have the antenna template for the left side so I will worry over the which side issue, but not too much (pretty sure left side will be good) as I am really preoccupied now mostly with 1) what to do about and 2) where to get all this condenser/suppressor/collector information and availability. Those will keep me thinking.

Dale

cameo1956 #1399775 Wed Mar 03 2021 01:31 AM
J
'Bolter
Howdy Dale! The capacitor (condenser) I've developed may help some with things related to the distributor. On the generator, you could attach a .5 uF capacitor to the arm. lead (and to ground) and you could also attach a .5 uF capacitor on the battery lead of the voltage regulator (and also to ground). Might help. A lot of the suppressors sold since I was very young are small cans filled with pure snake oil with some wires sticking out of them. I've also seen capacitors attached to the hot side of the coil...not the side wired to the points and also capacitors on the ignition switch where the hot wire connects. Truthfully I'm not all that certain any of this stuff did that much good. Using resistor spark plugs generally does help, however.

As for the antenna, I don't know what you're thinking nor what you want to accomplish. A lot of people (me included) run these underneath the vehicle, attached to the frame and running parallel to it...so that nobody sees them. What you have to realize is AM radio isn't much these days and certainly nothing like it was even in the 80s.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
cameo1956 #1399789 Wed Mar 03 2021 02:38 AM
'Bolter
Hi Dale
I have part number and values for all those locations
But as long as you have a low inductance small shunt capacitor at those
Locations you will be good
Don’t worry about the wheel static arrestor dohikee it’s mostly snake oil for when folks ran out of options chasing down a poor connection someplace that was creating RF noise
The neat thing about iron rust is that in the right situation it can exhibit diode action
So a rusty poor connection can create all sorts of fun for a radio
I’ve personally never needed to resort to weird things.
The capacitor Jon makes is likely perfectly fine to use in all locations
A polypropylene or polyethylene film cap will be so low inductance it will shunt anything in the AM band like it was DC
All those locations are in the 0.1 or so rang so a 0.5 uF is totally the right value and you can’t go too big as long as absolute impedance at 1MHz isn’t compromised.
Modern parts are awesome.
-s

cameo1956 #1399818 Wed Mar 03 2021 05:57 AM
C
Shop Shark
Hi and thank you Jon and Stan for all this most helpful information and advice. I will make sure the distributor is covered, the generator, the voltage regulator for starters. It seems the ammeter, which I understand is the recommended power source for the radio is another spot to cover for now. and the instruction sheet is pretty clear on the wiring for that, and I think I will skip the wheel static for now Stan per your thoughts on that. So I guess that covers it for now — except, I do think the spark plugs is a good tip Jon and I will check what I already have installed - may be ok. Still waiting for the spacers etc. from Chevs of the 40s so I’ll use the down time to locate some capacitors and take it from there.
Oh, and I do agree with you Jon about how minimal the AM scene is today, especially around here. But I’m a little bit of a purist, not totally, but a little, and I just want to see this thing working again the way it should — at least as best I can, and you guys are helping me do that. I really appreciate your help.

Dale

cameo1956 #1399848 Wed Mar 03 2021 04:15 PM
J
'Bolter
I remember when people driving gasoline haulers hung chains from their axle tubes that would drag along the highway while they drove. You'd see them sparking at night and occasionally the chain would wear to the point it would toss bits of links out behind. Later on those changed to rubber straps and today you almost never see them. The chains were to reduce static electricity and in the 50s some people got the idea this would help with radio static. While a lot of people did this, I don't believe any of them knew anything at all about radio interference, etc. I think most of them just thought it looked neat at a time when looking neat was very important.

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
cameo1956 #1399860 Wed Mar 03 2021 05:24 PM
'Bolter
cameo,
congratulations for owning and installing an original radio. In my opinion you will benefit from installing a capacitor on the supply side of the coil and also one on the armature lead of the generator, either at the regulator or the generator. The interference is most audible when receiving weak station signals. I use the same condenser that is used in the distributor.

The antenna is normally installed on the driver's side cowl. The location is very specific because if located wrong it will interfere with the hood opening. If my memory serves me right there is a reinforcement built in to the cab structure to anchor the antenna.

truckernix #1399982 Thu Mar 04 2021 05:37 PM
C
Shop Shark
Thanks, I too have much appreciation for the old and the original whenever I can. Not finished yet, just got the antenna and instructions and contemplating the exact location before I drill that hole. Lots of advice on here on that so I should be good. Watching out for the hood is great advice. I probably would not have thought about that until -- oops. I'm also in the process of changing the vacuum wiper motor for an electric one, so need to finish that before actually placing the radio. Just seemed easier for access to do that now, before the radio takes up most of the space. As you are most likely (me, sometimes painfully, always uncomfortably)) aware, these spaces are not easy to get at, what with clutch, brake, steering column, gear shift, ebrake and dump bed shifters all on the floor competing for the space I need to crawl into to get my eyes and hands up there. Nobody said it would be easy, but man, I'm gettin too old for this ***, not too old yet, just gettin (and not complaining either, just sayin). Thanks again Truckernix - appreciate your help. I know I'll be back for more.

Dale

cameo1956 #1400008 Thu Mar 04 2021 08:11 PM
'Bolter
If you thought getting the instruments out was difficult before
Wait till you try to do it with a radio installed frown
I fought for a while one time trying to get the ignition and speedo out
Eventually took radio out first
In all if you just start by removing radio before attempting instrument work you will likely save time
Removing the radio is only a 5-10 minute delay before accessing instruments
Going back in does take a bit more time
-s

cameo1956 #1400020 Thu Mar 04 2021 09:01 PM
'Bolter
I have seen posts that say with the electric wiper installed the original type radio will not fit. I don`t know if that is true. There are times when I would have enjoyed electric wipers since I still have the old vacuum ones.

cameo1956 #1400083 Fri Mar 05 2021 05:40 AM
C
Shop Shark
When I opened the box today and saw the size of the electric wiper motor, I really started to wonder myself if there was enough room for both.

But if I have to make a choice — the radio will come first. It would be easier for sure to install the wiper mech while the radio is out, but not worth it if the radio won’t fit.

I will start searching previous threads first, but if anybody hears or knows anything on this topic in the meantime I would sure appreciate it if you could pass it on my way. Thanks for the tip Truckernix.

****Well, I did do some research and found a thread started by Weeds almost 10 years ago where this topic received a lot of discussion by Bolters I consider, compared to me, to be experts. In the final analysis I could not tell if the initiator (Weeds) ended up actually installing both successfully (his issue was a faulty design problem he had with the electric motor he purchased frm Classic Parts) but the thread ran something like:

1) Trucks 47- 53 could accept both the electric wiper conversion and an original radio even given the confined space, because the speaker is below the tuner and not above like later models.

2) There are different electric wiper motor manufacturers and one of them (not the one from Classic Parts that I have in hand) fits with less difficulty.

3) There is a vacuum wiper rebuilder (Wiperman.com) who apparently largely improves the performance of the old vacuum motors for about $100, that’s 10 years ago info.

That’s it for now, I’m going ahead for now, but I will pm some of the folks on this previous thread : don’t know if it’s ok to use their handles here, I remember them and I will get back or ask them to post their experience here for us.

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Fri Mar 05 2021 08:51 PM. Reason: Updated information
truckernix #1401154 Sat Mar 13 2021 12:21 AM
C
Shop Shark
Almost ready now, electric wipers installed, antenna installed per instructions that came with the antenna, radio mounted in the dash, ready for power hookup.

I can now say with certainty that the radio does fit with the electric wiper motor installed. Electric wipers - that's another story, lots, lots of challenges. Still trying to adjust; sweep/post etc. Hope I get there.

One more question though on wiring. I know from a previous similar thread the radio should be connected to the ammeter on the load side - but, which is the load side? The previous thread I mentioned also shows the wiring for a condenser.Does the radio wire go to the same side as the condenser?

Dale

cameo1956 #1401157 Sat Mar 13 2021 12:57 AM
J
'Bolter
One thing I'll mention...in Dallas we usually either have a real man's rain or we have shades of drizzle. And you may (as I did) find the two settings you have for the electric wipers are a bit out of whack. Fast is ok for a real gully-washer of a rain but slow in a drizzle the slower wiper speed might tire you. I posted a foolproof intermittent circuit a year or two ago and the neat thing is you can use the delays I used or you can customize it...that is, choose which delay periods you want! I designed the circuit to have 4 intermittent speeds and for anyone with just basic electronic knowledge, I think it is pretty easy. If you want more info, you can search for this or you can send me a PM or an email message at jon_goodman@yahoo.com

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1401223 Sat Mar 13 2021 03:33 PM
C
Shop Shark
Thanks for that info Jon, I will look that thread up just as soon as I have these blankety blank wiper blades finally positioned mechanically where I want them.

My question as I indicated above though is regarding my ignorance about the two posts on the back of the ammeter. As I'm tortuously pretzeled on my back under the dash looking up, is the ammeter "load" side the post I see on my right, or the one on my left?

I have researched this a bit to learn up somewhat on just what load means, but in all definitions I've read, it depends on whether your vehicle is negative or positive ground. While I guess there can be either, so far I have no idea 1) what that means and why should I care, and 2) Is my truck negative or positive ground? I suspect negative, but that's just because I have always associated ground with negative. This is a lot to say - but again, is it the left post on the ammeter, or the right post that I connect the radio wire to? -- Many thanks,

Dale

cameo1956 #1401230 Sat Mar 13 2021 04:38 PM
J
'Bolter
You should have negative ground, Dale. I don't have a 1956 to look at, but in the 1952, the right side is positive and that wire heads off to the starter solenoid and another wire may be connected to that terminal which heads to the horn. The other side is negative and it will tie to your ignition switch and the B terminal on your voltage regulator. You're wiring your wipers and radio to your ignition switch, yes?

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1401233 Sat Mar 13 2021 04:54 PM
C
Shop Shark
Actually, I wired the wipers to the ignition, but I have heard the radio should be wired to ammeter instead, so that's what I was trying to do. But, you know what Jon, I think I will just wire it to the ignition --- problem solved. Thanks,

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Sat Mar 13 2021 04:56 PM.
cameo1956 #1401240 Sat Mar 13 2021 05:25 PM
J
'Bolter
The whole "wire to the ammeter" idea was so you wouldn't burn up your points or mess up your coil when you were parking and listening to the radio...in the days when most vehicles didn't have an ACC switch position. In other words one of us older guys.

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
cameo1956 #1401248 Sat Mar 13 2021 06:38 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by cameo1956
My question as I indicated above though is regarding my ignorance about the two posts on the back of the ammeter. As I'm tortuously pretzeled on my back under the dash looking up, is the ammeter "load" side the post I see on my right, or the one on my left?

I have researched this a bit to learn up somewhat on just what load means, but in all definitions I've read, it depends on whether your vehicle is negative or positive ground.

The "load" side of the ammeter would always be the one opposite where the battery connects, whether you have negative or positive ground. The battery side post is typically called the "source" connection.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
cameo1956 #1401266 Sat Mar 13 2021 09:05 PM
'Bolter
That is good news that the radio fits in with the electric wipers in place. Could you tell us the brand or supplier of the wipers please?

klhansen #1401272 Sat Mar 13 2021 10:16 PM
C
Shop Shark
All installed now, but very loud intermittent static when there is any movement, even the steering wheel — suspect speaker - when I tap on the speaker screen it does (Chrome grill not in place yet) give really big static with each tap, until I stop. It is hooked up now to the ammeter.

I didn’t move it around at all when I was bench testing. The volume control also wobbles a bit and causes some noise while adjusting, but but nothing like what happens when tapping the speaker even lightly. Sounds like it’s back to the bench.

Dale

cameo1956 #1401281 Sun Mar 14 2021 12:32 AM
'Bolter
Not saying this is the cause
But I suggest you Always tap and giggle vacuum tubes in the tester incase they have intermittent issues
Especially old used ones
Often tubes that had intermittent issues but were still “good” were kept because ya never know when you need one for a tv or home radio

I had two with intermittent issues just the other day
One jumped from good to bad drastically with tapping and the other had a mild filament short that could be persuaded to clear itself.
-s

cameo1956 #1401288 Sun Mar 14 2021 01:24 AM
'Bolter
When you tap on it does the dial
Light flicker?

cameo1956 #1401294 Sun Mar 14 2021 02:07 AM
'Bolter
There is something else you might want to try. Try the tone switch in all three positions and also wiggling it a bit. Also try pulling out a little on the volume control. You may have a problem in the control.

truckernix #1401376 Sun Mar 14 2021 06:22 PM
C
Shop Shark
So do things just get better overnight? The radio this morning tunes in to stations much more readily, and I have no idea why, but the loud tap-induced static has disappeared. I haven't changed anything yet, it just seems to work better. I don't think the dial light flickers, in fact I can't detect a light at all, although it was clearly working on bench test. Maybe it's just the lighting here. Tapping, movement in the steering wheel etc. seems to have no affect now on the radio, even tapping on the speaker screen now does not create any of the crazy instant static it did last night, none. Having said that Truckernix, here is a clear problem that you referred me to. It is more pronounced now than it was last night when there was so much other noise: the volume control.

The volume control is erratic, volume jumps up and down and produces static when turning the knob. While it does settle out at some point,it does produce scratchy, not loud, but scratchy noise when moving. Pulling it out like you suggested does not seem to have any effect, it moves very little in and outward, almost imperceptible. Switching the tone switch to the left of center produces a very mellow lower volume, and pleasant tone, a little noise but ok for listening. Switching back to the center is a noise fest, accompanied by annoying tinny tone.Third position more mellow, but noisier than far left. I haven't removed the radio from the truck yet, it sounds so much better today I'm a bit reluctant, but not totally out of the idea.

So, does this sound like the kind of problem that can be remedied like with a replacement part, or is something like that even available? Any recommendations would be appreciated - be nice if it worked right.

Thanks for all the help and analysis so far Truckernix and Stan, and many thanks also to klhansen for his earlier most clear explanation on the functions of the two ammeter posts, Cleared it right up for me.

*** Now, for a short small response to the electric wiper conversion kit from Classic Parts. I have a lot to say about how it fits, problems it causes, installation and adjustment difficulties, but nothing as far as the radio is concerned except for the near impossible, done only with great difficulty, insertion of the antenna into the radio, after the radio has been installed. Little to almost no tolerance! I have a lot more on this model to share with anyone considering this conversion but it may be a better fit on the broader electrical forum? If I could send this one back, I would, I found what appears to be another vendor model (New Port Engineering) that seems more thoughtful and at least a little more forgiving in this cramped environment. It was mentioned in a previous thread many years ago by other Bolters and I have followed up on it with NP Engineering since installing this one. IMHO it is well worth reviving this topic, not here and now but somewhat later with more detail for anyone who might be considering a conversion to electric in the future, and to flesh out any more of the previous experiences Bolters may have had with this conversion, pro and con. Thanks again to all of you,

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Sun Mar 14 2021 10:16 PM.
cameo1956 #1401380 Sun Mar 14 2021 06:40 PM
J
'Bolter
I bought my electric wiper conversion kit from a fellow on eBay. Last time I looked he was still selling them. Installation was a breeze with one exception: I had to bend one of the wiper motor support pieces to make the holes/screws line up. No big deal at all. I think I paid $120 which included shipping.

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
cameo1956 #1401409 Sun Mar 14 2021 10:37 PM
'Bolter
It sounds like the volume control is dirty and maybe worn. You can take a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and point the straw along the shaft between the outside sleeve and the inner control. A quick shot should do it.

So is this a restored radio? Has it been converted to 12 volts? Have you looked inside to see if the capacitors have been replaced?

truckernix #1401415 Sun Mar 14 2021 11:35 PM
C
Shop Shark
I can try the cleaner first and see if that makes any difference. I sprayed it and the spray helped, much steadier on the volume control, no noise. Good call.

The radio has been worked on at some point probably many years ago but I don't know who or when. Came with the truck, in a box. PO passed on before he got to install it. Capacitors have been replaced, but again I don't know if it has been converted but my truck is 6 volt. I have pictures will try to post.

Attached Files
IMG_0427.jpeg (340.36 KB, 118 downloads)
Last edited by cameo1956; Sun Mar 14 2021 11:59 PM.
cameo1956 #1401453 Mon Mar 15 2021 12:36 PM
'Bolter
Oh I see that the capacitors have been replaced. That is good!

I didn’t know that they sold 6 volt electric wipers, hence my question.

truckernix #1402505 Mon Mar 22 2021 01:25 PM
C
Shop Shark
Yes they do make a 6 volt version. The other co. I mentioned makes them only in 12 volt,but they also sell the 12 to 6 inverter for 6 volters like me.

But hey, one more radio question, sticky selector buttons, I have a middle one that wants to stay in after being pushed in. Push another button and it pops out. Any quick cures?. The electric cleaner I use warns against using with plastic,so I tried a little white grease under the key when it was pulled out, still sticks. Minor, but annoying.

Dale

cameo1956 #1402517 Mon Mar 22 2021 03:41 PM
'Bolter
That is a problem that you would need access to the mechanism to fix. There are a number of places that can cause it to hang up. I would try pushing that button and then other back and forth a few times to see if it can be corrected. The cleaner spray could affect the plastic. With all the alcohol based sanitizers being used these days, you want to keep that away from plastics too.

Fred

cameo1956 #1402519 Mon Mar 22 2021 04:10 PM
C
Shop Shark
Thanks Fred - kinda what I thought - if it gets too annoying or doesn’t resolve by what you suggested, I’m not above removing to fix internally at some point / just bugs me - like anything that doesn’t work right, know what I mean?

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Mon Mar 22 2021 04:11 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop