The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Rsqwhite, Ridgeback, Dakotabolt, Shakey61, truckcamper43, Bill Hanlon), 110 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,470
Posts1,031,724
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Radio install and settings
cameo1956 #1401294 Sun Mar 14 2021 02:07 AM
'Bolter
There is something else you might want to try. Try the tone switch in all three positions and also wiggling it a bit. Also try pulling out a little on the volume control. You may have a problem in the control.

truckernix #1401376 Sun Mar 14 2021 06:22 PM
C
Shop Shark
So do things just get better overnight? The radio this morning tunes in to stations much more readily, and I have no idea why, but the loud tap-induced static has disappeared. I haven't changed anything yet, it just seems to work better. I don't think the dial light flickers, in fact I can't detect a light at all, although it was clearly working on bench test. Maybe it's just the lighting here. Tapping, movement in the steering wheel etc. seems to have no affect now on the radio, even tapping on the speaker screen now does not create any of the crazy instant static it did last night, none. Having said that Truckernix, here is a clear problem that you referred me to. It is more pronounced now than it was last night when there was so much other noise: the volume control.

The volume control is erratic, volume jumps up and down and produces static when turning the knob. While it does settle out at some point,it does produce scratchy, not loud, but scratchy noise when moving. Pulling it out like you suggested does not seem to have any effect, it moves very little in and outward, almost imperceptible. Switching the tone switch to the left of center produces a very mellow lower volume, and pleasant tone, a little noise but ok for listening. Switching back to the center is a noise fest, accompanied by annoying tinny tone.Third position more mellow, but noisier than far left. I haven't removed the radio from the truck yet, it sounds so much better today I'm a bit reluctant, but not totally out of the idea.

So, does this sound like the kind of problem that can be remedied like with a replacement part, or is something like that even available? Any recommendations would be appreciated - be nice if it worked right.

Thanks for all the help and analysis so far Truckernix and Stan, and many thanks also to klhansen for his earlier most clear explanation on the functions of the two ammeter posts, Cleared it right up for me.

*** Now, for a short small response to the electric wiper conversion kit from Classic Parts. I have a lot to say about how it fits, problems it causes, installation and adjustment difficulties, but nothing as far as the radio is concerned except for the near impossible, done only with great difficulty, insertion of the antenna into the radio, after the radio has been installed. Little to almost no tolerance! I have a lot more on this model to share with anyone considering this conversion but it may be a better fit on the broader electrical forum? If I could send this one back, I would, I found what appears to be another vendor model (New Port Engineering) that seems more thoughtful and at least a little more forgiving in this cramped environment. It was mentioned in a previous thread many years ago by other Bolters and I have followed up on it with NP Engineering since installing this one. IMHO it is well worth reviving this topic, not here and now but somewhat later with more detail for anyone who might be considering a conversion to electric in the future, and to flesh out any more of the previous experiences Bolters may have had with this conversion, pro and con. Thanks again to all of you,

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Sun Mar 14 2021 10:16 PM.
cameo1956 #1401380 Sun Mar 14 2021 06:40 PM
J
'Bolter
I bought my electric wiper conversion kit from a fellow on eBay. Last time I looked he was still selling them. Installation was a breeze with one exception: I had to bend one of the wiper motor support pieces to make the holes/screws line up. No big deal at all. I think I paid $120 which included shipping.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
cameo1956 #1401409 Sun Mar 14 2021 10:37 PM
'Bolter
It sounds like the volume control is dirty and maybe worn. You can take a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and point the straw along the shaft between the outside sleeve and the inner control. A quick shot should do it.

So is this a restored radio? Has it been converted to 12 volts? Have you looked inside to see if the capacitors have been replaced?

truckernix #1401415 Sun Mar 14 2021 11:35 PM
C
Shop Shark
I can try the cleaner first and see if that makes any difference. I sprayed it and the spray helped, much steadier on the volume control, no noise. Good call.

The radio has been worked on at some point probably many years ago but I don't know who or when. Came with the truck, in a box. PO passed on before he got to install it. Capacitors have been replaced, but again I don't know if it has been converted but my truck is 6 volt. I have pictures will try to post.

Attached Files
IMG_0427.jpeg (340.36 KB, 118 downloads)
Last edited by cameo1956; Sun Mar 14 2021 11:59 PM.
cameo1956 #1401453 Mon Mar 15 2021 12:36 PM
'Bolter
Oh I see that the capacitors have been replaced. That is good!

I didn’t know that they sold 6 volt electric wipers, hence my question.

truckernix #1402505 Mon Mar 22 2021 01:25 PM
C
Shop Shark
Yes they do make a 6 volt version. The other co. I mentioned makes them only in 12 volt,but they also sell the 12 to 6 inverter for 6 volters like me.

But hey, one more radio question, sticky selector buttons, I have a middle one that wants to stay in after being pushed in. Push another button and it pops out. Any quick cures?. The electric cleaner I use warns against using with plastic,so I tried a little white grease under the key when it was pulled out, still sticks. Minor, but annoying.

Dale

cameo1956 #1402517 Mon Mar 22 2021 03:41 PM
'Bolter
That is a problem that you would need access to the mechanism to fix. There are a number of places that can cause it to hang up. I would try pushing that button and then other back and forth a few times to see if it can be corrected. The cleaner spray could affect the plastic. With all the alcohol based sanitizers being used these days, you want to keep that away from plastics too.

Fred

cameo1956 #1402519 Mon Mar 22 2021 04:10 PM
C
Shop Shark
Thanks Fred - kinda what I thought - if it gets too annoying or doesn’t resolve by what you suggested, I’m not above removing to fix internally at some point / just bugs me - like anything that doesn’t work right, know what I mean?

Dale

Last edited by cameo1956; Mon Mar 22 2021 04:11 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop