The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (Mike B, 55shaker, dgrinnan, JoeDude, Leo, 1955first6500), 244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,401
Posts995,890
Members44,655
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Ignition problems- 305E V6
Jimmy66 #1398666 Wed Feb 24 2021 08:26 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
New compression gauge, new numbers. Throttle and choke open.
1 = 20
3 = 70
5 = 80
2 = 82
4 = 70 once, second time 0
6 = 0

Is this 100% timing chain/gear broken???????? or what else to check???????????

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

Jimmy66 #1398669 Wed Feb 24 2021 08:34 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
As I mentioned long ago, I vote timing chain. Driving one minute shut it off won’t start. Classic timing chain. We’ll see. Thanks for the update.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Jimmy66 #1398684 Wed Feb 24 2021 10:22 PM
G
'Bolter
Wow that took awhile. Definitely sounds like its out. I think i saw a timing chain on here somewhere for sale.

Jimmy66 #1398685 Wed Feb 24 2021 10:32 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
With 60,000 original miles on a bullet proof motor with known reliability, it was not on my mind. Can't believe it really. I will have him take off valve covers and take a look. Just is case all heck broke loose up there. That's a long shot but has to be checked before teardown. If he does not have a double chain I will have him convert. Any other ideas before teardown????

One family truck, all they did was use it for camping.

Jimmy66 #1398710 Thu Feb 25 2021 01:40 AM
D
'Bolter
Could it be as "simple" as stuck valves? E10 loosened years of crud and the valves stuck in their guides? I don't know the GMC V-6s enough to know if there is a valve-piston interference problem, but I'd be thinking stuck valves before a broken timing chain.

An anecdote - I tore down a "runs good" 454 years ago that had shed the nylon portions of the timing sprocket. Even with that, the chain was very loose, but still caught on the remainder of the aluminum sprocket, and hadn't jumped time. Of course the nylon nibs that migrated into the crankshaft oil passages (filter must have clogged and bypassed) didn't do bearing lube any favors. The crank was salvageable, but had to be ground (fortunately it was standard dimension). I know the GMC isn't a big block Chevy, but I'm thinking the GMC is pretty robust.

Tear the engine down, and see what's going on. My two cents

Doug

Jimmy66 #1398847 Thu Feb 25 2021 08:00 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
Don't think all the valves would be stuck.

Jimmy66 #1398887 Thu Feb 25 2021 10:20 PM
D
'Bolter
Bart/Amos - I was only throwing out a suggestion, since I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread. IMO, it would only take 3 of 12 really stuck to give those readings like that on a cold, dry, possibly tired engine. Or are those numbers for a "wet" test?

But my main point was, it's time consider a systematic disassembly and inspection, and the top end is easiest to get to, so why not start with making sure the valves are free (and move with engine rotation, as I think was mentioned earlier)? If possible, a leakdown test might be a better starting point, but it's likely to show all cylinders leaking at the valves from what you describe and have been working with the OP, so the V/Cs need to come off, anyway.

Again, just my two cents. Cheers!

Doug

Jimmy66 #1398897 Thu Feb 25 2021 10:40 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
It's Bartamos not Bart/Amos

Didn't know readings like that can only be a few valves. Not very knowledgeable on that. Some of the things mentioned may not be feasible for some owners to do. I have asked him two days ago to take off valve covers and when his business schedule permits, he will. I can't assess or train what to look for over the internet. Tearing down in his driveway scares me. I believe I'm just going to say a general statement that it seems like timing chain or other associated parts. Not recommend a DIY or go to a shop or get a Chevy motor. I will answer any questions after that and stop trying to find and fix. I will recommend returning to Stovebolt with a new post and explaining the problem and history of tests. I am not qualified to help with a teardown over the internet. If I was doing it I would take off bumper, grill, radiator, radiator crossmember and etc. to sit in a chair and pull all the stuff off the front of this Big Block 305 V6 monster. But not out front in my driveway, which is where it is stuck. I've had several of these motors. Solid lifters.
If the rockers are in tact, springs in tact, everything going up and down OK with motor cranking, then unfortunately it's Kings X for Jimmy. Painful as it is, a decision will be made on how to continue..........

Can someone tell me if a blown head gasket can give these numbers??????????

Would it do any good to squirt a little oil down each cylinder in case ALL the rings are stuck or not sealing? Again it seems like all cylinders can only exhibit low numbers due to chain or gear failure. The thing that puzzles me is we check timing regarding no. 1 compression stroke and rotor position. We rotated around twice to see if rotor returned, it did. Although I was not there, it seemed he did it correctly. Yet it won't fire once. Has spark, has gas, seems timed but no compression. Does that point to head gasket??????????? Can all cylinders be "washed"???????

Jimmy66 #1398907 Thu Feb 25 2021 11:38 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Just going to toss this out there. In my neck of the woods there are lots of “Mobil Mechanics”, some even ASE certified, who will come to your home and check the engine out. I don’t know what the OPs financial position is, but it might be worth a few bucks to get some professional help. I would be wary of one that doesn’t have grey hair. An hour or so of the mechanics time is going to accomplish one of two things. #1, hopefully the engine will be setting there purring like only a 305 V6 can do, or the OP will know to start saving up for a complete overhaul. Just a different way to proceed.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Jimmy66 #1398909 Thu Feb 25 2021 11:44 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
Not a bad idea at all. Gets me off the hook too smile

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop