The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (dgrinnan, 66flea, Britcon, 55_2nd_Series, 55shaker, DennisM), 122 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,653
Posts1,006,152
Members44,993
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mechanical vs Hydraulic lifters
drdoug #1398580 Wed Feb 24 2021 03:06 AM
F
'Bolter
drdoug I heard about a way to grind a slight flat place on the side of hydeaulic lifters to let a pocket of air get out so the lifter could get oil-ever heard of that ?? If you re-call certain pontiacs would have noisy lifters too ! they said if done properly very little oil pressure would be lost !

fixite7 #1398615 Wed Feb 24 2021 02:07 PM
D
'Bolter
Fix, putting small reliefs on the pushrod end to relieve trapped air, to reduce hydraulic lifter noise for the Stovebolts is a well known mod. Pre '68 Dave posted to his blog a good summary on Hydraulic Lifter Noise. [chev235guy.blogspot.com]

If the lifter does not have a relief hole as aftermarket lifters usually do, then the best recourse is to prefill the lifter per the shop manual, as Dave notes in his blog post. Grinding the outside of the lifter body will not relieve the air trapped inside between the plunger and body.

Doug

Last edited by drdoug; Wed Feb 24 2021 02:15 PM.
drdoug #1399011 Fri Feb 26 2021 04:59 PM
F
'Bolter
Dr doug Have heard of filing a notch in the push rod,dont have any hyraulics to try it on now. Would like to try for roller lifters. A 540 pulling truck I work on has 800 lb. open spring pressure and every time Isee that cam It looks the same,like new. Not sure how the 235 meeanite cast iron cam would last wouldn't be near the load on it. Ramps would be mild and probably should be a hydraulic version.I guess the first step would be to get a tandem lifter system built.I dont mind trying that experimental stuff. More later.

Spotbiltxo #1399133 Sat Feb 27 2021 05:38 PM
H
'Bolter
Unless the lifter has a tiny oil bleed hole in the canter of the pushrod seat, relieving the bottom of the pushrod won't accomplish anything. Some lifters need a slot ground into the edge of the plunger where the pushrod seats to make oil flow through the lifter. A very narrow slot cut with a Dremel cutoff wheel is plenty- - - -just enough to allow air to escape from the lifter. Dave's tech tip addresses that situation if you read it carefully.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Spotbiltxo #1399142 Sat Feb 27 2021 06:25 PM
P
'Bolter
My comments on adapting a roller tappet: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/roller-adapt.htm

Spotbiltxo #1399160 Sat Feb 27 2021 08:12 PM
H
'Bolter
"There's nothing new under the sun"- - - -In the late 1940's Ed Iskenderian produced a cam for flathead Fords with such a radical rate of lift that the cam lobe would dig into the lifter and lock up the engine. His solution was to make a lifter with a radiused bottom and a groove for a guide bar that kept the lifter aligned with the cam lobe. Later, that lifter was replaced with one that had a much larger diameter at the bottom than original, and they rented a spot facing tool to counterbore the block and allow the lifters to retract far enough to insert the cam.. websearch the "Isky 404" cam, which was used in a land speed record holder at Bonneville. The lobe is almost square, and there is a huge flat spot at the area of maximum lift. Those cams had a VERY short lifespan and were totally unsuitable for street use, BTW!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Spotbiltxo #1399647 Tue Mar 02 2021 03:02 AM
S
'Bolter
You always amaze me Jerry with that library of information in yer noggin!

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop