The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (Bellflower, 52Carl, Dragsix, 52Beastie, Bill Trotter, 53 green 1- ton), 150 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,602
Posts989,188
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Odometer numeral renewal...
#1398534 Tue Feb 23 2021 08:59 PM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
I said I'd show how to refresh/renew the odometer numerals, so here we go. First, please don't use any of the so-called decals sold by any of the aftermarket vendors. Nothing against the sellers of these, but my experience is you won't be happy. Instead invest in some printable waterslide decal paper. You can buy this in 4 varieties: inkjet clear, inkjet white, laser clear and laser white. You can not print white with any printer except the horribly expensive ones I doubt many people have access to, so the answer for decals needing white is to use white paper and then print on top of it. IMPORTANT NOTE: if you use an inkjet printer and inkjet paper, you must coat the printed part with clear lacquer, urethane, enamel or it will disappear when you immerse the decal in water. Just as a matter of habit, I will also spray clear on the laser printed ones. Another note: the decal I've created for the odometer numerals isn't perfect. Perfection doesn't exist with something like this, but mine is pretty good and probably good enough. If you want it, send a PM with your email address and I'll send you a printable Microsoft Word document with that decal template on it (which you can print to your waterslide decal paper.

Remove the wheel assembly by removing the brass clip you find opposite the 1/10 mile wheel, slide the assembly to one side and then out. Clean the assembly carefully with a paper towel and some naphtha to remove any oil/wax, etc. Then very carefully cut the 1/10 numerals off of the decal sheet, making certain to keep a straight line on the sides and at the top. In the first image below you see the decal sheet I've made before I cut it. In the second image, you can see I've done the 1/10 mile wheel (the black one with white numerals). You may look at the numbers and think "gee, that looks pretty good. Wonder why he's renewing it?" Well, you can't see where the numbers sat in one place for years and were bleached to almost nothing by the sun. Start lining up with 0 and work carefully around. You'll get the hang of the waterslide decal stuff after a bit. It isn't difficult and it isn't like the heavy gelatin stuff we knew in the 50s and 60s. Today's paper is very thin but works well...if you do it right. Make certain your numbers line up with the old ones as much as possible. Then set this aside for a few minutes to dry a bit. Maybe 10 minutes. Long enough to have a cup of tea. Now trim the first of the actual mileage number strips off and repeat the process as you see I've done in the second image below. Then continue to the next row as I've done in the third image and in the fourth image you'll see I've done all of the wheels. Now I'll take the assembly outside and set it in the sunshine where it can really dry out for an hour or so. Then, reverse the procedure you used to remove the wheel assembly (being very careful to insert the slotted tabs on the metal edge there) and re-install the clip. Your unit ought to look like you see in the fifth image, which at this point is about as good as I can offer on renewal of these numerals. Good luck.

Attached Files
MVC-586F.JPG (39.44 KB, 100 downloads)
MVC-588F.JPG (28.96 KB, 104 downloads)
MVC-589F.JPG (30.34 KB, 100 downloads)
MVC-590F.JPG (28.74 KB, 98 downloads)
MVC-591F.JPG (39.75 KB, 96 downloads)

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: Odometer numeral renewal...
Jon G #1398535 Tue Feb 23 2021 09:02 PM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
Sorry...ran out of room to post images above. Below is what your tabs and the protruding metal edge which secures them should look like when you've finished.

Attached Files
MVC-592F.JPG (38.53 KB, 91 downloads)

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1398538 Tue Feb 23 2021 09:28 PM
'Bolter
that looks amazing
nice work, i want to try these water decals one day for guages and stuff.

wondering about which font you use, the 1 looks different, original doesn't have the feet on it,
the original 0 seems more round, i have some fonts that GM used a bunch of places, i should check if any i've collected match the odo better
please PM me your file if you can i am interested in this topic

i'll let you know what fonts i come up with too
thanks
-s

Jon G #1398540 Tue Feb 23 2021 09:39 PM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks...I tried to attach the template file to this posting. Let's see if it works. The font was something I found on a site which is no longer active. A fellow had posted some speedometer numerals (don't know where he got them). He also had created an odometer wheel template, but it was the wrong length and width. I never could find anything that matched original. As you may recall when I was creating the "look-alike" speedometer from the Speedhut electronic unit (for people like me using the T5 transmission with an electronic output), I never could find the fonts to match the original so after tedious editing work I created some which got close enough.

Attached Files
odometer decal 1.docx (77.92 KB, 11 downloads)
SHA1: 2869166fdfa9d57c86de9b68a198ebf3a6a4096d
Gauge good number 9.jpg (51.89 KB, 81 downloads)

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1398560 Wed Feb 24 2021 12:09 AM
'Bolter
okay i found my stash of fonts that i go to for all things GM and Chevy in the 50s
attached screenshot of what they look like
not sure at the moment which of these is a "money" font so if you want to try to figure out how to get one onto your computer PM me or try to find it on the common font websites

edit - sometimes it's necessary to mix and match fonts to get the original look of a document, just have to play with kerning, weight and style to make them work together
-s

Attached Files
Last edited by 2ManyTrucks; Wed Feb 24 2021 12:11 AM.
Jon G #1398563 Wed Feb 24 2021 12:52 AM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks! I have one of those, but I wasn't able to get it to look like I wanted in this case. It might look better by just changing the 1 on the old jpg file. See what you think about this...

Attached Files
gauge decal odometer 2.jpg (51.52 KB, 54 downloads)

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1398564 Wed Feb 24 2021 01:21 AM
'Bolter
I like it
As long as it’s close and flows well to the eye
I don’t have all the original numbers at my disposal right now anyway so can’t complain smile .... yet
-s

Jon G #1398773 Thu Feb 25 2021 02:57 PM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
And in case you want the numerals white against a black background, that can be done also...

Attached Files
gauge decal odometer 3.jpg (52.55 KB, 33 downloads)

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop