The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (bolter5410, 485WINDO), 80 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,108
Posts1,037,350
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
'Bolter
You will need heavier valve springs to hold the heavy lifters to the cam, will the valve train take the extra pressure? Seems to me you could buy a lot of oil additive for the price of machining and adapting you are looking at. For those without a machine shop on hand, the price will go up pretty quickly.

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
At the RPM most stovebolts are operated, I doubt if a little extra lifter weight would be a factor, especially considering the fact that most of the snowflakes get a case of the vapors at any speed above what used to be considered a fast idle. I'm aware that most stovebolters don't have machine tools or the skills needed to run them, so a lot of what I dream up isn't practical. It's just an exercise in what's possible, given enough time, energy and skill to think outside the box.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
B
Shop Shark
Jerry, the fella that did the exterior manifold was most likely Gene Beck, I had a nice long conversation with him a few years back. As far as cams, Howards cams, which isn't really howards cams anymore, it was named after Howard Johanson, (you may already know this) but has been sold to someone else, but they can get you in touch with his son, who a couple of years back could get blank cams for the large bore cams, which I'm thinking could be sent to Delta cams to have the lobes ground to a more suitable profile for rollers. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking there is plenty of meat in a 216 to cut the cam bores to fit the large bore cams.

Last edited by brokenhead; Mon Feb 15 2021 01:01 AM.
H
I do it the other way- - - -I use my lathe and tool post grinder to reduce the diameter of the big journal cams to fit the 216 block. I've fitted a couple of 235 cams to 216 and early 235 blocks that way, and it's a fairly simple process. I use a carbide cutter bit to rough out the journal a few thousandths oversize, and then surface finish the journals with the grinder, and do a final polish with emery cloth. I'll be using the Melling CCS-1 cam in my prototype. If dyno tests look promising, I might commission a custom grind cam for a later engine. I'm looking for good low end and midrange torque, as attempting to get high RPM performance from a stovebolt with its stone age port design is a fool's mission. The Ford 300 or the International/Jeep 4.0 Liter head would be a much better candidate to use as a starting point to make a hotrod inline six.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

B
Shop Shark
yes, I went that way, but I had to have the cam reground because it wouldnt' fit through the last hole. Just as an idea, some form of supercharging seems like it would overcome the intake port issues.

Last edited by brokenhead; Mon Feb 15 2021 02:13 AM.
H
Were you using a stock cam, or a high lift regrind? The ones I've reworked have dropped in without a problem so far. One way to avoid that problem would be to install the last bearing after the cam was partially in place.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

B
Shop Shark
it was a brand new cam, which started my relationship with Howard cams, when I had ordered it, I told the fella what I was doing and he said he would take extra off the back so it would fit, but it didn't. I don't recall what the grind was, it was some sort of performance type cam, but it ended up costing me a fortune, and then when I sent it to Delta to be ground to fit, (one of the parts of the cost) they lost it and I ended up with one that had been ground at least twice, the lobes were just itty bitty, which is why I was thinking about the larger lobes. It was a very frustrating period.. Then the exhaust valves seized up in the guides, and ruined a couple of the lobes, so I had to get ANOTHER regrind. Had to pull the head AGAIN. But as an aside, during my research, I found that generally roller cams are steel, and very hard as the point of contact at the peak of the cam is pretty small.

Last edited by brokenhead; Mon Feb 15 2021 02:23 AM.
H
Yep, nothing bumps the frustration level up like repeated screwups on the part of somebody who supposedly knows what they're doing. That's one reason I just bought two crankshaft grinders! I got one parts machine at less than scrap metal price, and the other one in complete, running condition. It looks like the first one has less wear and tear than the one I got from a NASCAR billet crank builder! I just couldn't find anyone who was willing to grind cranks "my way" without demanding prices that would make Jesse James blush in shame!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop