The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (FAST55, 55shaker, Hotrod Lincoln, coilover, Johnny N, 593ETow), 262 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,448
Posts996,244
Members44,670
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1951 one ton GMC brakeline upgrade
#1396841 Thu Feb 11 2021 11:02 PM
R
Ricster Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hello Bolters. Thanks to all of you, this nonmotorhead has gotten past brake drums, shoes, cylinders and their adjusters with your help. Now I have removed the original single master cylinder and am upgrading to a dual. I'm in the process of removing the brake lines and cleaning off all of the Canadian soil that came with the truck. With the Factory Assembly Manual as a guide I have been removing and comparing the routes of the lines and notice a difference. The manual shows lines going forward to the drivers and passengers side front wheels. Makes sense. But my line crosses under the transmission on the cross piece and tees to the front and to the rear. The front line goes first to a tee at the passenger side wheel and continues forward, crosses back under the radiator and back to the drivers side front wheel. Seems like a roundabout route. Any reasoning behind this?
With the new dual cylinder setup I believe I can choose how best to route the lines forward and to the rear. I'm wondering if any of you could offer advise on choosing the best approach.
When I removed the master cylinder I was curious as to how much fluid was inside. So I mounted it in a vise and it required a hammer with the wrench to loosen the top. I was surprised to find it almost empty. Maybe 1/4 full in a truck that had petrified rear brakes. I mentioned it to the previous owner who responded " well it always stopped for me"!
Ricster

Ric
Re: 1951 one ton GMC brakeline upgrade
Ricster #1396878 Fri Feb 12 2021 02:27 AM
E
'Bolter
Best to get all new wheel cylinders, if possible, the labor to fix them up is not worth it.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop