The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (52Carl, 32vsnake, 2ManyTrucks, Bellflower, 52Beastie, Cosmo), 142 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,602
Posts989,188
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Starter armature no good
#1395828 Fri Feb 05 2021 01:26 AM
S
Simso Offline OP
'Bolter
Folks,

My ute is a 1950 chev with a 216 in it, the car has been converted to 12 vilts less than 100kms ago.

The starter motor kicks her first go every time, no intermittent issues nothing.

Two weeks ago she just would not start, got a click from the solenoid and nothing else

I took the starter toan auto electrician who ""rebuilds"" starters and got a phone call yesterday that the armature has a short in it and he does not rewind armatures.

Does anyone know an aftermarket starter that works or where i can purchase a new or refurbished armature for mine

Thanks

Steve
Australia

Re: Starter armature no good
Simso #1395952 Fri Feb 05 2021 09:50 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
Not much of a "rebuilder" is he. Not much of a business man either. Should have given you a price or a lead for a armature. Anywho, I suggest Ebay USA or Ebay AU, Ebay Europe. As you already know, shipping is a big cost from USA.

"kennethw" is a member here. A good fellow. If he still does business, contact him http://www.classicgenerator.com/
Until then, park on a hill.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

Simso #1395970 Fri Feb 05 2021 10:59 PM
H
'Bolter
Make a couple more posts so you can have access to the private message function and send a PM to TPR57C. He's a long time stovebolter from New South Wales, and there's a pretty good chance he will know where to find parts for your starter down under. We would need to know how the system was converted, as the 6V and 12V armatures have different dimensions, and they do not interchange. A 6V starter works well on 12 volts, as long as the number of teeth on the flywheel gear match the starter. 6V flywheel gears have 139 teeth. 12V flywheel gears have 168.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Simso #1395976 Fri Feb 05 2021 11:57 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
Good point Jerry. I just noticed that Simso posted yesterday in the Welcome center and TPR57C responded today or whatever day it is there, probably Monday by now smile

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

Simso #1395983 Sat Feb 06 2021 12:39 AM
S
Simso Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks folks, my understanding is that its the original 6v starter with solenoid upgraded to 12v.

I was blown away when the person who rebuilds starters contacted me and said they cannot rebuild it due to the aramature needs repairing, apparently in some spots it will spin and others it wont, so its a couple of short circuits on the armature, i genuinley thought thatwould be part of a rebuild.

My idea of a rebuild and others is clearly different, joys of getting old we have different expectations.

Steve

Simso #1396009 Sat Feb 06 2021 03:51 AM
H
'Bolter
It sounds like you have an open circuit, not a short, on some of the armature windings. Current enters the armature through one of the brushes, passes through the windings, and finds a ground at another brush. If the conductors are broken, or the solder joint at the commutator goes bad, the current can't flow when the armature happens to stop with the damaged connection under a brush. Generally, an armature is not replaced during a "rebuild"- - -the commutator is machined smooth, and it's checked for open circuits, shorts, and grounds, and it is only replaced if it fails one of those tests.
Jerry

Simso #1396019 Sat Feb 06 2021 06:08 AM
S
Simso Offline OP
'Bolter
Interesting that its not part of a rebuild, but thats life, have found a second hand armature in australia and hoping it might be okay, its being shipped to me as I write

I repair musical instruments and could not envisage offering a rebuilt instrument and not being able to deliver on part of it.

Steve

Simso #1396027 Sat Feb 06 2021 10:57 AM
T
'Bolter
Hi Steve see you are in Perth hope the starter is good I got a starter from lmc in California but postage is getting expensive and we have a a border problem at the moment

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Simso #1396041 Sat Feb 06 2021 01:18 PM
S
Simso Offline OP
'Bolter
I actually have been speaking with a guy who uses a landcruiser fj40 starter motor on his ute, so options are opening up

Simso #1396042 Sat Feb 06 2021 01:20 PM
H
'Bolter
Starter and generator rebuilding has been done that way during the 60+ years I've been in the business, and long before that, I'm sure. I'm the middle guy of 5 generations or auto mechanics, from my grandfather to my grandson. That's why a "core" item is required by rebuilders when they sell a part, so they can have another one to rebuild and resell. The main housings, armature, generator pulley, and other major parts are retained and refurbished, and peripheral parts like brushes, bushings or bearings, and other small parts are replaced. A starter usually gets a new drive gear and possibly a solenoid, also. It's just the way things are done in the auto parts rebuilding business. Would you scrap the body of a Stradivarius violin and make another one from new parts?

Early Land Cruiser engine were virtual clones of the 235 Chevy, under some sort of licensing arrangement by GM (or maybe just Japanese thievery) so it's possible the starters were also duplicated by Toyota.

In the late 1960's, a cylinder head for an MGA 1500 CC 4 cylinder was a bolt-on swap for an engine produced by Nissan/Datsun, also.
Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop