The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 members (32vsnake, 1955first6500, Bill Trotter, 55 SHAKER, 2 invisible), 158 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,602
Posts989,186
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Frnt brake drums for a '77 Chevy C-65
#1395470 Tue Feb 02 2021 03:34 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Air brake truck

5-lug pattern to fit 15x3.5 shoes. The Webb part # is 2687

Anyone have two or know where I can find a pair? Or even one?

This is to help the Stovebolt HQ NAPA who has been very generous in their support of Stovebolt over the years (lots of donations and discounts)

Thanks,
John

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: Frnt brake drums for a '77 Chevy C-65
John Milliman #1395622 Wed Feb 03 2021 04:59 PM
3B Offline
'Bolter
Hy John, does this truck have Dayton (heavy cast) wheels? I found a Raybestos p/n 9608, it has a 12.75" bolt circle.

John Milliman #1395637 Wed Feb 03 2021 08:28 PM
3B Offline
'Bolter
Hy John to make an accurate search I would need more information, the total depth of the drum, from wheel mounting surface to the inboard edge of the drum, the bolt hole diameter? Could the Webb number possibly be 2697?

John Milliman #1397259 Sun Feb 14 2021 04:17 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Bobb,

Update -- truck is a '75 6500 series. Not sure about Dayton or Budds. I'll ask about the numbers and measures. The owner of the truck went to the local garage (see below) and they came up with "Obsolete Part No Longer Available" so they went to the local NAPA. The NAPA owner came to me. I will pass the questions back up the chain and let you know what I come up with.

Not sure if the drums are actually unserviceable. Local big truck garage only experienced in high use commercial trucks and not really well versed with the realities of low-use/antique trucks. I'm guessing that when they pulled the drums and saw grooves deep enough to make the drums unserviceable if you were to grind them out, they said "oh, these are no good." As this is a farm truck that only comes out of the barn at harvest to haul corn or soybeans a few miles to a local feedmill ... my recommendation was that if the drums are still round with good thickness, they should put them back on and ignore the grooves. More actual braking surface anyway, right? wink

One of the wheels was locking up when braking which is why they went to the garage. They pulled the drums, saw shoes worn down to rivets and the grooves in the drums and the ASE auto-response kicked in.

I'll be back over there this week and will pass along your follow ups. In the meantime, they might have followed my recommendation.

Thanks,
John

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Moderated by  John Milliman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop